AMD still refusing to have a chipset business

Old November 10th 03, 10:59 AM
Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

Default AMD still refusing to have a chipset business

From the inquirer:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12576

"The 9XX socket, whatever that turns out to be, will support
533/666MHz memory controllers, as well as supporting Hyperthreading
1.05 and Retry 2.4K/2.8K MTs AMD has at least three chipset partners
it's relying on to support its future processors. The roadmap shows
that it will still introduce reference designs for future chipsets,
but it is essentially relying on the usual suspects to help support
its microprocessors."

"The usual suspects in this case are Via, SIS, Nvidia and, can we
count ATI as a future usual suspect? The documents refer to chipset
firms A, B, and C â and X. X isn't IBM is it?"

Maybe the Nvidia will be good enough*, but I would feel more secure
if AMD had their own boards with their own chipsets like Intel does.

* the new version of the Nforce 3 with Gigabit Ethernet, seems
to appear (early ?) next year:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12566

"As a fact, we know that Nforce 3 250 -- the one with full speed
Hypetransport 16 uplink and 16 downlink with native Gigabit LAN is
still not in production but it isn't so far away."

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Old November 10th 03, 01:18 PM
Derek Baker

"Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro" wrote in message
From the inquirer:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12576

"The 9XX socket, whatever that turns out to be, will support
533/666MHz memory controllers, as well as supporting Hyperthreading
1.05

As the Inq has now corrected it, it is Hypertransport 1.05.

Shame as hyperthreading is the only feature of the Pentium that interests
me, would love to see it on AMD processors.

--
Derek

Old November 10th 03, 11:17 PM
Tony Hill

On 10 Nov 2003 10:59:57 -0000, Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro
wrote:
From the inquirer:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12576

"The 9XX socket, whatever that turns out to be, will support
533/666MHz memory controllers, as well as supporting Hyperthreading
1.05 and Retry 2.4K/2.8K MTs AMD has at least three chipset partners
it's relying on to support its future processors. The roadmap shows
that it will still introduce reference designs for future chipsets,
but it is essentially relying on the usual suspects to help support
its microprocessors."

"The usual suspects in this case are Via, SIS, Nvidia and, can we
count ATI as a future usual suspect? The documents refer to chipset
firms A, B, and C â and X. X isn't IBM is it?"

ALi also produces chipsets for AMD processors, could be them. I don't
know if ATI has produced a chipset for AMD processors just yet, though
it may be in the works.

Maybe the Nvidia will be good enough*, but I would feel more secure
if AMD had their own boards with their own chipsets like Intel does.

I too would like to see AMD taking a bit more of an active role in
chipset development and support. They made a lot of noise about this
before the Opteron and Athlon64 came out, but have faded into the
background somewhat. They haven't done anything to update their 8000
series chipset yet, despite the fact that it's been out on the market
for 6 months and wasn't exactly at the forefront of chipset technology
when it was released.

A new version that combined their PCI-X and AGP controller into a
single chip and updated their I/O controller to support SATA and maybe
even RAID could make it a great solution.

That being said, at least AMD has nVidia producing chipsets now, which
is a HUGE bonus. nVidia has really raised the bar when it comes to
the quality of their drivers for chipsets, and that used to be a MAJOR
shortcoming, especially for AMD since Intel at least usually had
halfway decent drivers for their own chipsets (Intel was hardly
top-notch in this regard, just a lot better than VIA, SiS and ALi).

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old November 10th 03, 11:25 PM
Robert Myers

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:18:20 -0000, "Derek Baker"
wrote:

snip

Shame as hyperthreading is the only feature of the Pentium that interests
me, would love to see it on AMD processors.

Any chance you would care to share the reasons for your interest?

RM

Old November 11th 03, 02:28 AM
stacey

Tony Hill wrote:

That being said, at least AMD has nVidia producing chipsets now, which
is a HUGE bonus. nVidia has really raised the bar when it comes to
the quality of their drivers for chipsets, and that used to be a MAJOR
shortcoming, especially for AMD since Intel at least usually had
halfway decent drivers for their own chipsets (Intel was hardly
top-notch in this regard, just a lot better than VIA, SiS and ALi).

Yep, that IMHO has been what has kept AMD "down". I fought with too many
unstable Via systems and was GLAD to be able to work with intel/intel
systems just because of the better drivers. I still have a bad taste in my
mouth and will probably never trust another Via system.
--

Stacey
Old November 11th 03, 02:38 AM
Yousuf Khan

"stacey" wrote in message
Tony Hill wrote:

That being said, at least AMD has nVidia producing chipsets now, which
is a HUGE bonus. nVidia has really raised the bar when it comes to
the quality of their drivers for chipsets, and that used to be a MAJOR
shortcoming, especially for AMD since Intel at least usually had
halfway decent drivers for their own chipsets (Intel was hardly
top-notch in this regard, just a lot better than VIA, SiS and ALi).

Yep, that IMHO has been what has kept AMD "down". I fought with too many
unstable Via systems and was GLAD to be able to work with intel/intel
systems just because of the better drivers. I still have a bad taste in my
mouth and will probably never trust another Via system.

The SiS drivers are not nearly as unstable as the VIA ones, and in fact they
usually work fine with the default Microsoft ones.

Yousuf Khan

Old November 11th 03, 03:57 AM
stacey

Yousuf Khan wrote:

"stacey" wrote in message
Tony Hill wrote:

That being said, at least AMD has nVidia producing chipsets now, which
is a HUGE bonus. nVidia has really raised the bar when it comes to
the quality of their drivers for chipsets, and that used to be a MAJOR
shortcoming, especially for AMD since Intel at least usually had
halfway decent drivers for their own chipsets (Intel was hardly
top-notch in this regard, just a lot better than VIA, SiS and ALi).

Yep, that IMHO has been what has kept AMD "down". I fought with too many
unstable Via systems and was GLAD to be able to work with intel/intel
systems just because of the better drivers. I still have a bad taste in
my mouth and will probably never trust another Via system.

The SiS drivers are not nearly as unstable as the VIA ones, and in fact
they usually work fine with the default Microsoft ones.

Again yep. :-)

--

Stacey, who is typing this on an AMD XP2100/sis 745 box that has been VERY
stable in linux and windows.
Old November 11th 03, 09:13 AM
RusH

Tony Hill wrote in
.com:

That being said, at least AMD has nVidia producing chipsets now, which
is a HUGE bonus. nVidia has really raised the bar when it comes to
the quality of their drivers for chipsets

do you mean the fact that they released native IDE driver .. after 6 months ?
ROFL MUhahaha

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH // [502-20-14-27 tylko SMS]
http://kiti.pulse.pdi.net/qv30/ -- to prawdziwy ja
Old November 11th 03, 05:38 PM
Derek Baker

"Robert Myers" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:18:20 -0000, "Derek Baker"
wrote:

snip

Shame as hyperthreading is the only feature of the Pentium that interests
me, would love to see it on AMD processors.

Any chance you would care to share the reasons for your interest?

RM

Er, it makes some programs go faster?

--
Derek

Old November 12th 03, 01:23 AM
Tony Hill

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:13:15 +0000 (UTC), RusH
wrote:
Tony Hill wrote in
t.com:

That being said, at least AMD has nVidia producing chipsets now, which
is a HUGE bonus. nVidia has really raised the bar when it comes to
the quality of their drivers for chipsets

do you mean the fact that they released native IDE driver .. after 6 months ?
ROFL MUhahaha

No, I mean the fact that their drivers don't constantly causes
crashing like VIA's and ALi's have at various times, and they don't
cause the incredible weirdness of devices just completely disappearing
that Intel drivers have been known to do. nVidia drivers just plain
old work, and one executable works for all of their systems.

As for the IDE drivers, Intel's first PIIX4 IDE driver caused many
people to need to format and reinstall their system because it screwed
things up so badly (I was working in a computer store at the time and
had to do a lot of format and reinstalling). The only way that they
worked right is if you installed the right combination of service
packs, patches and drivers in the exact right order. It took them
years to get it to the point that it worked right, before that it was
always recommended that users stick to the default Microsoft drivers.
I'd rather take the 0-5% performance hit of using Microsoft drivers
than put up with a buggy driver. I started using the nVidia drivers
with their very first public release version and have never had any
trouble with them.