NETWORKING PRINTER BETWEEN 98SE AND XP

Old December 30th 03, 02:52 AM
Chopperdad

Default NETWORKING PRINTER BETWEEN 98SE AND XP

I have almost the exact opposite problem. So long I had the printer hooked
up to the 98SE computer, I could print off of either computer via the
network. When I switched it over the weekend to the XP computer, the 98SE
would not print to it although it knew it was out there on the network. I
can interchanges files and that, but I can't print to the printer from the
98SE machine now, but the speed that the printer prints from the XP Home has
dramatic improved.

Old December 30th 03, 04:39 AM
Ben Myers

Scotty,

I have found that any Win 95/98/me computer that needs to access resources on
computer running Windows NT/2000/XP MUST have Client for Microsoft Networks
installed and MUST login with a password. The lack of a login password, i.e.
blank password, or simply hitting the login Cancel button on the 95/98/Me
computer effectively prohibits access to any shared resources on the other
computer. In other words, NT rules dictate that all computers in the net log in
with passwords in order to access files and printers on an NT-class operating
system.

I hope this helps... Ben Myers

Old December 30th 03, 05:00 AM
Whelan

Hmm ...
I've had no trouble printing or accessing files from two old computers
running Win 98se. But they each have a one digit password -- so that
validates what Ben says.
I've been thinking I should get rid of their passwords ... but now I won't.

On the other hand, we have NEVER been able to share files or print from my
son's laptop that runs WinXPPro. We've tried sporadically for 18 months.
Sure wish we could figure that out!
Nan

Old December 30th 03, 05:37 AM
Chopperdad

I check and I had it but had never enabled it. Now that I have, it asks for
a password, which of course I've set to a blank one, but then it comes back
and says, "No domain server exists to validate password. Some services may
not be available." or something to effect. It doesn't effect anything else
and if I click to say okay it continues to load the rest of Windows 98 with
no problem. I wonder if it is looking to see if there is a password on the
XP system that will validate that it is a valid log-in?

Old December 30th 03, 05:53 AM
Chopperdad

Ben,

Do I take this to mean that I have to log in with a password even if I don't
need to? I was just leaving it blank since that was what I was doing on a
friend's computer. although their did not have any network involvement, just
the fact that they had 98SE installed on their computer.

Scotty

Old December 30th 03, 06:28 AM
PC-Gladiator

Actually, I think it has always been this way. When I was trying to get my
first home network setup working with W95 & W98se systems, I found the login
issue by accident. I hadn't seen it mentioned in any of the research I had
done prior to my first networking adventure.

Old December 30th 03, 07:20 AM
xxxxxxxx

Try giving the printer a simple name consisting only of letters, and
make it 8 letters or less.
Old December 30th 03, 07:42 AM
Whelan

Before changing routers, I never needed a password on my primary computer
(Dell Dimension 4500, WinXPPro) and could access files on Win98 computers
(and vice-versa) when they were connected by cable. The Win98's had a
password.

But like I said earlier, the XPPro laptop (a Compaq) has never shared or
printed with either the Win98s or the Dimension. Now we've added a new Dell
Inspiron laptop (XPPro) and it cannot share or print either.

I'm beginning to wonder ... do you have to run Win98 in order to network? I
just cannot get two XP computers to see each other. I don't understand why.
Nan

Old December 30th 03, 11:48 AM
Ben Myers

Yes! Absolutely! A name and a password. The password absolutely IS REQUIRED.

If you happen to like the name you've used to log in, and have left the password
blank (actually "null" in geek-ese), find all files on the hard drive named
"*.pwl" (no quotes when entered in the Named field), then delete the one
corresponding to the name you like. Next, log off and log on again, then time
with a name and password.

.... Ben Myers

Old December 30th 03, 12:03 PM
Albert Alcoceba

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 03:39:22 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

Scotty,

I have found that any Win 95/98/me computer that needs to access resources on
computer running Windows NT/2000/XP MUST have Client for Microsoft Networks
installed and MUST login with a password. The lack of a login password, i.e.
blank password, or simply hitting the login Cancel button on the 95/98/Me
computer effectively prohibits access to any shared resources on the other
computer. In other words, NT rules dictate that all computers in the net log in
with passwords in order to access files and printers on an NT-class operating
system.

Plus on the NT machine - a user with the same login name / password
must be created and access given to the specified
drives/folders/printers.

Albert Alcoceba

http://www.racysrailway.com/
Remove REMOVE

Win XP Pro Win 98SE dual boot Freddie Clark Homebuilt PC's 11 December 7th 04 10:09 AM
Limitations of 98SE Mooreslaw General 10 November 14th 04 04:47 PM
Networking XP (Pro) and 98(SE) Cerridwen General 6 February 29th 04 03:13 PM
Networking problems new Inspiron 8500 (wireless or wired) Whelan Dell Computers 0 December 23rd 03 08:15 AM
A7N8X Deluxe & 98SE Problems ! Rick Asus Motherboards 13 November 13th 03 03:29 AM