CUSL2 Motherboard and Intel 1GHz Celeron

Old February 7th 04, 03:01 AM
Eamon Reyn

Default CUSL2 Motherboard and Intel 1GHz Celeron

Hey Guys,

I know this is a really old MB but hoping someone may be able to stretch
their memory back to aid me in my quest to upgrade.

I have a CUSL2 MB I have upgraded to the latest (1009) BIOS and it works
fine with my Celeron 566

I looked at the CPU table for this MB on the asus web site and it says that
with this BIOS revision it will support a 1GHz Celeron (I think the max was
a 1.1Ghz Celeron or a 1GHz P3 off the top of my head).

I obtained a Intel Celeron 1000 from a friend who was upgrading. However my
MB will not run with it installed.

I have read through a lot of documentation and I get the feeling that the
CPU will not run in my MB because it requires 1.475 V setting and my MB can
only run as low as 1.5 V.

This statement may be wrong but is the best guess can make at this point.

There is one other odd thing though the 1GHz CPU has the following printed
on the labels

INTEL (MxC)'01 MALAY
1000A/256/100/1.475

Q228A636-0037
CELERON SL5ZF

when I looked up the S-Spec(SL5ZF) on the intel web site it says it should
be a 1.5 V chip not a 1.475V chip.

The CPU is a FC-PGA2 as far as I can tell as it has a aluminium heat
spreader attatched to the die.

When I insert the CPU and switch on my machine it makes an alarm sound
consisting of a long Beep of one tone then a long beep of another tone and
continues in this pattern.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Eamon.

Old February 7th 04, 03:53 AM
Muttley

Your board was only designed to run the older Coppermine cored FC-PGA
version CPU.
ie - the older Celeron 1000 without the A suffix, and without the Heat
spreader.

The 1000A CPU that you have is the Tualatin cored FC-PGA2 version that will
not normally run on your board.
A newer board that supports Tualatin cored FC-PGA2 CPUs is required to run
it, such as the TUSL2, or an adaptor is required as below.

The part number of the board was changed from CUSL2 to TUSL2 when the
Tualatin core support was added.

There are adaptors available to allow a Tualatin CPU to operate on a
Coppermine only board.
Such as the following 370GU from Upgradewa
http://www.upgradeware.com/english/p...70gu/370gu.htm

I've never used one, so I dont know how successful they are.

John S.

Old February 7th 04, 07:37 AM
Jim in Canada

Eamon:

As Muttley stated, you have a Tualatin cored FC-PGA2 Celeron processor, and
your board will only support the Coppermine based Celeron/PIII processors.
Kind of like trying to install a V6 motor into a car designed for a straight
6. It can be done, you just need some modifications. You will require an
adapter to use it.
www.powerleap.com
www.powerleap.ca

Either site will give you an idea of what you would require and how much to
pay. I am thinking of upgrading my CUV266 as it uses DDR RAM and the
bottleneck apparently is my PIII 1 gig Coppermine processor

Jim

Old February 7th 04, 10:41 AM
Bog

Hi,

I think that you have a celeron "Tualatin" version.
I remenber that this version not run in a CUSL2. A "new" MB model TUSL2 and
TUSL2-C exist for processor pakaged in PGA2.
Perhaps with a adaptator FC-PGA - FC-PGA2 ?
Adolfo

Motherboard for P4. MS Overclocking 80 August 2nd 04 10:14 PM
Celeron 300 on intel BX Ygrek Overclocking 4 June 9th 04 11:02 PM
IDE on Intel D865GBF motherboard is having issues Dalboz Homebuilt PC's 0 April 14th 04 09:01 AM
Zone 2 too hot - Intel PERL865 Motherboard William G. Anderson Homebuilt PC's 2 January 2nd 04 10:32 AM
Motherboard for Celeron 1.4? Husker Asus Motherboards 0 December 17th 03 11:50 PM