Can a hard disk shrink? Or did ****USA steal my HD?

Old October 13th 03, 05:56 PM
-= ®atzofratzo =-

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:14:38 GMT, "Colin Watters"
wrote:

Isn't there a limit in Win2K/XP that prevents FAT32 partions beyond 32
GByte? Is it possible that has something to do with it? Perhaps they
reformatted it FAT?

I've had FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB in Win2k.

__________________
-= ®atzofratzo =-

®emove The fleA to reply
Old October 13th 03, 06:10 PM
jeffc

Once top posting starts, you have to continue the same. Otherwise,
everything is out of synch. Get it?

No, you don't get it. The point is NOT how much money I have. It's how
much the computer repairers have. They DON'T work for $4/hr., so I
seriously doubt that stealing a used hard drive, replacing it with a
slightly more valuable used hard drive, then copying the system over so it
works, and then selling the stolen merchandise (which includes more time,
and money in fees if sold on eBay etc.), is really worth the 20 bucks or
whatever they will ultimately make on the deal.

Yes, of course the "principle" is what matters. Now stop and reread this
thread and you'll realize what's being said. I'm saying it's pretty
unlikely anyone would bother to do this "crime", and that the OP might very
well be mistaken. So you shouldn't assume that it has, in fact, "taken
place".

Now, when we add to the mix all the time the OP is going to have to spend to
fix the problem, including court fees if it goes to small claims court, is
it really worth HIS time for $40 or whatever? That assumes he wins AND GETS
PAID. Let's say he wins. There is no law that forces the defendant to pay
or go to jail. You've never been to small claims court have you? The
"principle" is pretty much irrelevant, since I seriously doubt anyone here
thinks stealing is perfectly OK.

"NDF" wrote in message
"What's that you say ? Kettle and .. black ??)

Valid point I think.

Let me guess, you have so much money, it really doesn't matter.

Surely the principle of what has taken place is more important ???

Oops look, I top posted, seems to be a fashion here.

"jeffc" wrote in message
Don't top post. Let me guess - you're a college kid looking for beer

money,
or you make about $4/hr.

"JAD" wrote in message
ink.net...
what size HD do you have...care to trade for one half its size.....ill

even copy your system over to it?..

"jeffc" wrote in message

"George L." wrote in message

Do computer repair centers ever replace HDs with smaller ones
and not tell customers? I took my Compaq equipped with
80 gig HD to ****USA but got back a 40 gig. My data wasn't
lost, but the drive is definitely smaler, according to the BIOS
and the label on the HD.

Why would they go to the trouble of replacing the hard drives (the
difference in cost isn't *that* much) with another *working* hard

drive,
and
then copy over your system and data to the extent that the computer

acts
and
looks exactly the same as before (same apps, etc.)? It would be

more
trouble than it's worth to the repair center, wouldn't it? I

wouldn't
go to
all that time and effort for a measly $40, or whatever the price

difference
is.

Old October 13th 03, 06:28 PM
JAD

Yes, of course the "principle" is what matters. Now stop and reread this
thread and you'll realize what's being said. I'm saying it's pretty
unlikely anyone would bother to do this "crime", and that the OP might very
well be mistaken. So you shouldn't assume that it has, in fact, "taken
place".

Your saying that there is no chance in hell that CompUSA didn't do what was expected? Oh man, your telling me I'm a naive college
kid,, I think you just gave away your secret. And then there's the assumption that it was done on purpose.....could have been a
simple mistake of picking up the wrong replacement drive....or handed the wrong one by a third / fourth person.....

Why would they go to the trouble of replacing the hard drives (the
difference in cost isn't *that* much) with another *working* hard drive, and
then copy over your system and data to the extent that the computer acts and
looks exactly the same as before (same apps, etc.)? It would be more
trouble than it's worth to the repair center, wouldn't it? I wouldn't go to
all that time and effort for a measly $40, or whatever the price difference
is.

this is what you said- you said blow it off and let them get away with it.....NOW you say the same thing just added a bunch of
rhetoric. A small claims would be extreme tactics. You have to give someone the benefit of the doubt, I tend to side with the
person posting and ask questions to sort things out.....your more interested in the TOP POSTING... which happens when you start a
argument that strays from the OP....
Oh and please bring up the OE thing next ok?!

Old October 13th 03, 06:38 PM

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 01:12:43 -0700, "George L."

Do computer repair centers ever replace HDs with smaller ones
and not tell customers? I took my Compaq equipped with
80 gig HD to ****USA but got back a 40 gig. My data wasn't
lost, but the drive is definitely smaler, according to the BIOS
and the label on the HD.

My original problem was that the computer would freeze
or blue screen every other day, and changing the PS didn't
help. Apparently the original PS was bad and the second
one was inadequate because the repair center put in yet
another, and the computer has been rock solid ever since.

The repair center denies that the replaced the drive and said
that they only ran a diagnostic on it. I have the receipt for
the original HD (was an upgrade) and registered its serial
no., but the repair center says that it's not enough proof.

What can I do?

Unless you can actually prove thatt he drive in question was actually
in the box when you took it into the store, you'll be hard pressed to
win any action.
A receipt only shows that you bought the drive, not that it was in the
box when you took it in.

Why would they swap drives? There's no economic incentive to do so;
there's not enough involved to make it worth their while.

--
Bill
Replace "g" with "a"
Old October 13th 03, 07:36 PM
Rod Speed

"Me" wrote in message ...
In article , "George L."

Do computer repair centers ever replace HDs with smaller ones
and not tell customers? I took my Compaq equipped with
80 gig HD to ****USA but got back a 40 gig. My data wasn't
lost, but the drive is definitely smaler, according to the BIOS
and the label on the HD.

My original problem was that the computer would freeze
or blue screen every other day, and changing the PS didn't
help. Apparently the original PS was bad and the second
one was inadequate because the repair center put in yet
another, and the computer has been rock solid ever since.

The repair center denies that the replaced the drive and said
that they only ran a diagnostic on it. I have the receipt for
the original HD (was an upgrade) and registered its serial
no., but the repair center says that it's not enough proof.

What can I do?

At first, I thought that your hard disk might be fragmented. If the
BIOS shows a smaller hard drive, then fragmentation isn't involved.

Fragmentation never affects the size.

Contact the CEO of CompUSA (go to the top) in writing and explain
just what you explained here and request that you either be compensated
for the smaller hard drive or have a larger hard drive installed. Do not
mess with local store management in this case; go right to the top.

Old October 13th 03, 07:39 PM
jeffc

"JAD" wrote in message
ink.net...
Yes, of course the "principle" is what matters. Now stop and reread this
thread and you'll realize what's being said. I'm saying it's pretty
unlikely anyone would bother to do this "crime", and that the OP might

very
well be mistaken. So you shouldn't assume that it has, in fact, "taken
place".

Your saying that there is no chance in hell that CompUSA didn't do what

was expected?

No, I'm saying what I said. i.e. it's not likely.

Oh man, your telling me I'm a naive college
kid,, I think you just gave away your secret.

"secret"? I'm not following you. I said that was my guess - and it wasn't
that you were naive - it was that if you were offering to swap hard drives
with me and copy all my data over, and then find a buyer and sell the other
hard drive - or however you'd make money on it - then maybe work for about
$5/hr for that to be considered good work.

And then there's the assumption that it was done on purpose.....could have

been a
simple mistake of picking up the wrong replacement drive....or handed the

wrong one by a third / fourth person.....

Yes, agreed. But, they claim the drive was never touched. In fact, they
didn't have any reason to touch it, since they diagnosed it and found it
working fine.

Why would they go to the trouble of replacing the hard drives (the
difference in cost isn't *that* much) with another *working* hard drive,

and
then copy over your system and data to the extent that the computer acts

and
looks exactly the same as before (same apps, etc.)? It would be more
trouble than it's worth to the repair center, wouldn't it? I wouldn't go

all that time and effort for a measly $40, or whatever the price

difference
is.

this is what you said- you said blow it off and let them get away with

it.....

I'm not convinced they did it, but... even if they did, the OP is welcome to
pursue it. But then he will be working for about 25 cents an hour by the
time he gets done, and he will be dealing with not only idiots, but
dishonest idiots at that (assuming they did steal it.) How far do you think
you will get when dealing with dishonest idiots? Without going to small
claims court, I mean. If they're bad enough to do it in the first place,
how likely are they to own up to it now? Even if you go straight to the
president, the locals will deny and cover up. He's welcome to try, I'm just
giving him perspective.

Oh and please bring up the OE thing next ok?!

Huh?

Old October 13th 03, 07:43 PM
jeffc

"Colin Watters" wrote in message

wrote in message

Why would they swap drives? There's no economic incentive to do so;
there's not enough involved to make it worth their while.

He said his 80G was an upgrade. Perhaps they assumed it was a "standard"
model and replaced it with what they thought that model had? ..or perhaps
they just had a 40G handy and didn't check?

Why would they replace the hard drive at all? They say they ran a
diagnostic on it, but replaced the power supply instead, which the OP claims
solved the problem. I also see no economic incentive to swap the drives.
The only possible reason would be an idiot who thought there was some
incentive. I've seen people that stupid, but usually they are not working
in computer repair centers. On second thought.... :-)

Old October 13th 03, 07:43 PM
Rod Speed

wrote in message
George L wrote

[...]

Dunno, he clearly aint got what is listed
on the original receipt anymore.

Why would they swap drives? There's no economic incentive to
do so; there's not enough involved to make it worth their while.

Sure, but that doesnt mean some monkey didnt put the wrong
size drive in the box when replacing the original, by accident,
say when testing that possibility for the freezes when the
second power supply behaved the same way as the first.

Old October 13th 03, 08:30 PM
Jeeters

At first, I thought that your hard disk might be fragmented. If the
BIOS shows a smaller hard drive, then fragmentation isn't involved.

Fragmentation never affects the size.

I think he meant 'partitioned'.

Win XP doesn't like a second hard drive! N9WOS General 9 January 6th 05 02:10 AM
Protable USB hard disk ma General 3 August 1st 04 02:28 AM
Strange files saved the hard disk SunMyoung Yoon General 1 January 3rd 04 05:44 AM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 06:38 AM
Lost Hard Disk Robert Brown Homebuilt PC's 2 October 9th 03 01:13 AM