HDD and DVD ROM on same IDE Channel or not?

Old August 3rd 03, 12:02 PM
Firejack

Default HDD and DVD ROM on same IDE Channel or not?

Hi.... Am I right in thinking that having my HDD and DVD ROM on separate IDE
channels it will improve performance? Or would putting them on Separate
channels be a waste of a cable?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Old August 3rd 03, 01:27 PM
Crimson*

I don't know that it makes a huge difference anymore, but when I started
building PCs years ago I was taught that it's better to put them on separate
channels.

Old August 3rd 03, 02:59 PM
Strontium

If you only have those two drives, in the system, I'd say it would be
optimal. No need having two drives on the same channel, when you have
another free channel just sitting there. Now, if you also have a secondary
HDD and/or CD-ROM, I would say the controversy would begin...

-
Firejack stood up, at show-n-tell in

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old August 3rd 03, 03:19 PM
AD C

Crimson* wrote:

I don't know that it makes a huge difference anymore, but when I started
building PCs years ago I was taught that it's better to put them on separate
channels.

I think it still stands. I put a CD writer on the same cable as my
hardrive and I certainly noticed the difference.
The only reason I had to do that was because my CD writer did not like
being on the same cable as the DVD rom drive. The CDwriter went belly
up, sent it back, had a different make (liteon) and it works ok with the
DVD rom drive now.

Old August 3rd 03, 03:40 PM
Larc

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 12:02:48 +0100, Firejack pondered exceedingly, then took
quill in hand and carefully composed...

| Hi.... Am I right in thinking that having my HDD and DVD ROM on separate IDE
| channels it will improve performance? Or would putting them on Separate
| channels be a waste of a cable?

It would probably help to have your DVD-ROM on the secondary IDE, especially if
you play movies. It's definitely better for a CD or DVD RW to be on the
secondary — and set as master if there's another drive on that IDE.

Why gamble? Cable — the ribbon type anyway — is cheap.

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old August 3rd 03, 08:27 PM
Ed Light

"AD C" wrote
I think it still stands. I put a CD writer on the same cable as my
hardrive and I certainly noticed the difference.

Your HD was slower while the CD was idle?

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Old September 1st 03, 09:29 PM
Ed Light

FYI I have 2 7200rpm Hd's on the same channel and just clocked them at
32Mb/s copying a 600+Mb file from one to the other. Seems fast enuff! Using
XP Home, Tbred 2000+

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/