AMD future

Old December 18th 03, 05:27 PM
The Spectre

"LBJGH" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
1. Well the current P4 3.2 is slower than the Athlon64 3200+.

Not when you OVERCLOCK it its not!

2. Using 64bit software the P4 will be even more behind.

There is almost ZERO 64 bit software available and by the time MS releases a
64 bit OS and vendor re-compile or write 64 bit software it will be 2 years
and time to upgrade again! And that is if MS is not being overly optomistic
about its release which is shure to be buggy as hell in V1.0 .

3. The Athlon doesn't have a FSB per say... but if you want to talk in

Intel
terms (i.e. 200mhz fsb quad pumped... not really 800mhz fsb) the Athlon
would be something like 1600mhz fsb.

Not sure about the FSB thing but someone may be able to elaborate on this
comment. However, there are P4's well over 260 FSB and are stable on a day
to day basis not to mention the exotic ones going even higher. From my
understanding the P4 usually tounces the AMD 64s on FSB bandwith, please
correct me if I am wrong.

4. The Athlon64/FX will give you better benchmark results to impress your
friends.

Its not benchmarks I am worried about but benchmarks are valid reference
points.

5. The Athlon64/FX can have the multiplier adjusted with software where

as
all P4 are multiplier locked.

TRUE

"The Spectre" wrote in message
.. .
Hey guys just want to get some feed back. My last 3 comouters have all

been
AMD home builts but my next one may not be. I will be building a new
computer to replace my aging 2200+ and I have to say unless something
fantastic happens its gonna be Intel inside.

No one needs 64 bit computing
The intel P4 overclocks like mad
A 1Gz+ gap is getting harder and harder for AMD to overcome
New P4's will have added instructions
P4 front side bus is bigger
Most benchmarks show P4 ahead
Finally, upcomming Prescott on reduced die size

I want to stay with AMD but anyone know something I don't?

---

Old December 18th 03, 05:37 PM
Harry

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:18:32 -0500, "The Spectre"
wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:40:48 -0500, The Spectre wrote:

Hey guys just want to get some feed back. My last 3 comouters have all

been
AMD home builts but my next one may not be. I will be building a new
computer to replace my aging 2200+ and I have to say unless something
fantastic happens its gonna be Intel inside.

So build your Intel system and go away.

No one needs 64 bit computing

yep, and in the late 70's no one needed 16bit, and in the 80's no one
needed 32bit. Wise up.

No YOU WISE up! There is almost ZERO 64 bit software available and by the
time MS releases a 64 bit OS and vendor re-compile or write 64 bit software
it will be 2 years and time to upgrade again!

I think you will find that 64bit is where all Intel and AMD x86
processors will end up. Indeed, it has been widely specuilated that
64bit extensions are already built into the new Prescott CPUs, they
just arent enabled yet. See http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11781

AMD have been brave and bold to move to 64bit, and intel will follow
very soon. A lot of software maufacturers are already developing 64bit
updates. These will not be readily available until Windows XP-64 is
released. Hardware manufacturers have also been actively marketing
their 64bit drivers.

Of course all 32bit software will run on AMD64 CPUs anyway - and it
will run faster than on the old 32Bit CPUs too, so you wont need to
wait for 64Bit updates.

Within a year PCI-X will be online and coupled with 64bit CPUs and BTX
board format; their will be a major step forward in performance.

Harry

Old December 18th 03, 08:03 PM
Andy Yee

Uh...you can't overclock the Athlon FX 64's?

Troll.

"The Spectre" wrote in news:HnkEb.464$vn2.454
@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

You have not looked hard enough! My point is that they are very close yet
stock yet the P4 CAN overclock whiloe the AMD what you see is what you get.

Andy Yee E-Mail: ayee AT mn dot rr dot com
President Home Page: http://home.mn.rr.com/andyyee
New Directions Engineering, Inc.

Godwin's Law: As a USENET thread grows, the probability of a reference
to Hitler or Nazis approaches 1.00.
Corollary: When such a reference is made, it is generally
recognized that the poster has LOST the argument.

Old December 18th 03, 09:24 PM
Leadfoot

If you decide to go with intel don't let the door bump you on the ass

;-)

I asked for opinions and feedback not A-Hole smart ass coments so if you
have something informative and accurate to add please do so otherwise keep
it to yourself.

You got opinion and feedback. If you can't take a comment meant to be funny
you "may" be a little too thin skinned for usenet.

I shudder to think what we would pay for processors if AMD was to go out of
business.

Have a nice day

Old December 18th 03, 10:20 PM
Neil

The Spectre wrote:

Hey guys just want to get some feed back. My last 3 comouters have all
been AMD home builts but my next one may not be. I will be building a new
computer to replace my aging 2200+ and I have to say unless something
fantastic happens its gonna be Intel inside.

No one needs 64 bit computing
The intel P4 overclocks like mad
A 1Gz+ gap is getting harder and harder for AMD to overcome
New P4's will have added instructions
P4 front side bus is bigger
Most benchmarks show P4 ahead
Finally, upcomming Prescott on reduced die size

I want to stay with AMD but anyone know something I don't?

Well you can go a 3000+ A64 for resonable cost with a new board. Persoanlly
I run both platforms a NF2 2500+@3200+ and a p4 2.4@3 gig at 250 fsb, one
advantage of the p4 is it is almost a silent system, the amd is
watercooled or would be too noisey for my liking.

Old December 18th 03, 10:29 PM
~misfit~

The Spectre wrote:
If you decide to go with intel don't let the door bump you on the
ass ;-)

I asked for opinions and feedback not A-Hole smart ass coments so if
you have something informative and accurate to add please do so
otherwise keep it to yourself.

Ohhh, poor boy, can't handle a bit of a ribbing with a smiley after it.

It doesn't matter a **** what you *ask* for on usenet, what you get is what
you get. Live with it.

Maybe he should have said don't let the door hit you in your *well-****ed*
arse. no smiley
--
~misfit~

hard drive's future cupcakelee General 7 January 9th 05 05:21 AM
Intel -- Socket T or 478 Drew Zerdecki General 6 December 17th 04 09:06 PM
Ideal Modelling/Animation/Gaming PC? Lord Olav Rekve III General 21 November 8th 04 05:38 AM
The future of DRAM Radith General 0 June 25th 04 07:10 AM
Interesting thing At CD Freaks - Register article 12x and 16x DVD writers near future and double sized DVD writables - two layers Alceryes General 1 November 4th 03 03:08 PM