soundcard

Old August 14th 03, 01:05 PM
Phil Thompson

Default soundcard

hello.
i posted about a week ago about a lack of sound, which i still have. it was
diagnosed as probably the soundcard problem and not my speaker's fault so i
am looking for further advice.
going into device manager in widnows 98 then 'sound, videos and games
controller'
i have these options
closed caption decoder
gameport joystick
nabts/fec vbi codec
via pci audio controller (wdm)
wave device for voice modem
wavetop (tm) nabts/cc vbi codec

is one of these my sound card? i'm not sure it is. If not is there a way i
can find out what make/model my soundcard is so as to get a driver for it
and reinstall it, without having to open up my PC?

thanks

Old August 14th 03, 07:34 PM
Pen

Download Sandra and that will tell you; Then go to
the makers website and download the docs.
http://www.sisoftware.net/

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
i don't mean to sound like a spaz but, how do i find out what

make/model my
motherboard is? i don't have any of the documentation that came with

this PC
anymore.

in multimedia the playback and recording devices are both set to VIA

Audio
(WAVE).
however when i switched playback device to (use any device

available) i can
now hear sound very quietly coming from my speakers with them turned

up full
blast. I have since turned it back to VIA Audio (WAVE) and i can

hear the
quiet sounds still. what is goign on?

"kony" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:05:40 +0100, "Phil Thompson"
wrote:

[...]

via pci audio controller (wdm) entry is the sound.
Go into Control panel , multimedia, and see if there are devices
listed on the Audio Tab for Playback and Recording.

I would speculate that you need to go into add/remove programs,

remove
the audio driver, then reboot and reinstall it. You might see if

your
motherboard manufactuer has a newer version or download what they

have
just for the heck of it.

Giving us details of motherboard make/model might help too.

Dave

Old August 14th 03, 08:12 PM
Phil Thompson

okay so my motherboard is this:
MSi K7M Pro(MS-6340M)/K7TM Pro (MS-6340)

Old August 14th 03, 09:12 PM
Pen

So go to MSI and download drivers and BIOS updates.
http://www.msi.com.tw/

Old August 14th 03, 10:31 PM
kony

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:41:57 +0100, "Phil Thompson"
wrote:

i don't mean to sound like a spaz but, how do i find out what make/model my
motherboard is? i don't have any of the documentation that came with this PC
anymore.

in multimedia the playback and recording devices are both set to VIA Audio
(WAVE).
however when i switched playback device to (use any device available) i can
now hear sound very quietly coming from my speakers with them turned up full
blast. I have since turned it back to VIA Audio (WAVE) and i can hear the
quiet sounds still. what is goign on?

Since you can hear faint sound it is likely one of four things:

1) Your Mixer is configured incorrectly... It might be in the taskbar
currently or can be accessed by [Start Menu]-[Run]-(type)sndvol32

2) Your speaker phono plug isn't fully inserted in the back of the PC
or into the speakers.

3) The speaker phono plug is inserted into the wrong audio jack

4) A large rodent has gnawed through the cord and is now trying to
hide it's mischief by connecting the two severed ends of wire together
with duct tape.

Which of these 4 is the problem (or something else) might depend on
whether you've moved the PC, changed one of these things since the
last instance it worked, and of course whether you have rodents and
duct tape.

Dave
Old August 14th 03, 11:29 PM
Phil Thompson

i appear not to have the file sndvol32! bizarre. i did have it at one point
i no because it was in my task bar ages ago but it seems to have dropped off
the face of the earth.

Old August 15th 03, 01:21 AM
Phil Thompson

okay its all fixed. heres how.
i copied the file sndvol32 from my flatmates PC onto my C:\WINDOWS|
directory (where it should have been) and when i opened it, it was set to
mute!
maybe someone has tampered with my PC or something or could it have been a
virus?
i don't mknow but its working now. thankyou to everyone who offered
suggestions on how to help me, i'm very grateful. I'm always disappointed
when computer problems turn out to be so obvious, makes me feel a bit of a
fool, ah well.

Phil