PCI "Plug `n Play" Soundcard *NOT* being recognized by W98

Old May 26th 04, 07:32 PM
Mattrixx

Default PCI "Plug `n Play" Soundcard *NOT* being recognized by W98

Hi, I`m trying to install a new, cheap "Plug `n Play" PCI Soundcard on an
old Compaq Presario 5015 desktop with an existing ESS Audio chipset built on
the Motherboard.

There is NO provision for disabling onboard sound in the BIOS, however I can
"disable" the sound devices under "Device Manager'. All this does however is
leave me without any sound.

My problem is, after physically installing the Soundcard in the only
remaining free PCI slot (2 total), Windows 98 (not S.E.) does NOT recognize
the new hardware as being there upon boot! This is after disabling previous
sound devices via "Device manager"!!

Is there a jumper or something else to physically disable onboard sound
that I am missing, that could prevent the PCI Soundcard from being
recognized??
Or is there something else I am missing here?
I havent installed hardware on W98 for quite a while now, and am probably
spoiled by WinXP. Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks to anyone who would respond
Matt

Old May 27th 04, 12:35 AM
kony

On Wed, 26 May 2004 18:32:42 GMT, "Mattrixx" wrote:

Hi, I`m trying to install a new, cheap "Plug `n Play" PCI Soundcard on an
old Compaq Presario 5015 desktop with an existing ESS Audio chipset built on
the Motherboard.

I suppose it's a silly question, but WHY? Why a cheap card instead of the
integrated sound?

There is NO provision for disabling onboard sound in the BIOS, however I can
"disable" the sound devices under "Device Manager'. All this does however is
leave me without any sound.

Have you examined the board for jumpers, particularly near the sound chip?

My problem is, after physically installing the Soundcard in the only
remaining free PCI slot (2 total), Windows 98 (not S.E.) does NOT recognize
the new hardware as being there upon boot! This is after disabling previous
sound devices via "Device manager"!!

Try moving the "other" PCI card, putting sound card in other slot.
However, since there wasn't ANY detection of the card, you might just try
a different sound card. A Compaq-specific newsgroup's participants might
have more experience with that specific model.

Is there a jumper or something else to physically disable onboard sound
that I am missing, that could prevent the PCI Soundcard from being
recognized??

You checked the manual and/or online documentation, and examined the
board, have identified the function of all jumpers present, ie- there
aren't any jumpers near the sound chip with "unknown" function? There may
not be any, Compaq systems are a real PITA sometimes for these types of
reasons, the systems are built to run "as-is" with little to no changes
till the day they're thrown away.

Or is there something else I am missing here?
I havent installed hardware on W98 for quite a while now, and am probably
spoiled by WinXP. Any ideas or suggestions ?

It's doubtful that WinXP would make a difference, since it's not being
detected. You might check the bios for PNP related settings but given
it's a cheap sound card it may be most time-effective to try a different
card or the onboard audio.

Old May 27th 04, 01:38 AM
Mattrixx

Hi Kony,

The why of it is like this: I "inherited" this board and decided to run
Knoppix 3.4 "Live CD " on it with the possibility of installing Knoppix
permanently on the HDD.
I have everything (Knoppix) up and running quite well for this "PITA" Compaq
with the exception of the SOUND.
It seems Knoppix can`t recognize or deal with this ancient onboard ESS sound
chip even though I have NO other problems with IDing any other hardware.

I am NO Linux guru, so I couldn`t begin to tell you how I would go about
getting Knoppix to recognize and accept the onboard sound chipset.
However,I have infact networked (Samba) this box to my other computers. I am
able to print via my Print Server thru my Netgear router, Use Gaim (IM
client) access my E-Mail and Newsgroups, and much more.

I figured if I were to add a conventional PCI Soundcard to this system,
especially since this sound card HAS Linux drivers included, and get the
sound working, I would finally have a Knoppix system worthy to be installed
as the sole O.S.

I have tried this Sound Card with Knoppix,and NO GO, but I believe I am
encountering the same problem of the onboard sound chip being the one
recognized on boot.
(but not working ... unfortunately)

The Compaq/HP site is a joke! Even just to get simple info like: getting
some specifications ie. cpu type or speed for a specific Compaq computer.
No, I do NOT have a manual just the box.

Finally, I have NOT yet thoroughly examined this old board for any
applicable jumpers etc which is why I originally posted to get a "heads up"
on this possibility

I guess I`ll poke around the board some more and "see what I can see"!

Thanks for your kind reply and interest.

Matt

news

Old May 27th 04, 02:04 AM
Pen

This site may give you some helpful insights into
replacing the onboard sound. Watch the wrap.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...me=c 00006862

"Mattrixx" wrote in message
y.com...
[...]

news

Old May 27th 04, 02:27 AM
Mattrixx

Hi Pen,

Been there done that. The first thing I did before installing the PCI card
was to go into Device Manager and "REMOVE" the entries I found under "Sound
video and game controllers. Unfortunately they all are "found" and are
re-installed yet again after rebooting ...while the PCI card is NOT found!
This makes me think there might be a jumper on the board

Do you have a link to the page (I once found) on the Compaq/HP site that
gives "blowup" diagrams of the various 5000 Presario motherboards, the
components on them including all the jumpers ?

Thanks for your interest and reply
Matt

"Mattrixx" wrote in message
[...]

news

Old May 27th 04, 04:14 AM
pen

Sorry I can't find anything on the new compaq site.
HP definetely unimproved it.

"Mattrixx" wrote in message
[...]

"kony" wrote in message
news On Wed, 26 May 2004 18:32:42 GMT, "Mattrixx"

Old May 27th 04, 07:15 AM
Stacey

Mattrixx wrote:

Hi Kony,

The why of it is like this: I "inherited" this board and decided to run
Knoppix 3.4 "Live CD " on it with the possibility of installing Knoppix
permanently on the HDD.
I have everything (Knoppix) up and running quite well for this "PITA"
Compaq with the exception of the SOUND.
It seems Knoppix can`t recognize or deal with this ancient onboard ESS
sound chip even though I have NO other problems with IDing any other
hardware.

I am NO Linux guru, so I couldn`t begin to tell you how I would go about
getting Knoppix to recognize and accept the onboard sound chipset.

I think that would be easier than trying to force the system to accept
another card. I'm kinda surprised it doesn't see it as ess sound chips are
common and older hardware is normally supported quite well.

Stephe
--

Stacey
Old May 27th 04, 07:20 AM
Stacey

Mattrixx wrote:

Hi Kony,

The why of it is like this: I "inherited" this board and decided to run
Knoppix 3.4 "Live CD " on it with the possibility of installing Knoppix
permanently on the HDD.
I have everything (Knoppix) up and running quite well for this "PITA"
Compaq with the exception of the SOUND.
It seems Knoppix can`t recognize or deal with this ancient onboard ESS
sound chip even though I have NO other problems with IDing any other
hardware.

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixOnArmada

Some searching on debian (which knoppix is based on) and ess might point to
a real solution. Sndconfig will ussually find and set up most older sound
cards.

--

Stacey
Old May 27th 04, 05:09 PM
Mattrixx

"Stacey" wrote in message
Mattrixx wrote:

Hi Kony,

The why of it is like this: I "inherited" this board and decided to run
Knoppix 3.4 "Live CD " on it with the possibility of installing Knoppix
permanently on the HDD.
I have everything (Knoppix) up and running quite well for this "PITA"
Compaq with the exception of the SOUND.
It seems Knoppix can`t recognize or deal with this ancient onboard ESS
sound chip even though I have NO other problems with IDing any other
hardware.

http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixOnArmada

Some searching on debian (which knoppix is based on) and ess might point

a real solution. Sndconfig will ussually find and set up most older sound
cards.

--

Stacey

Stacey,

Thanks for your suggestion though I have indeed tried the "Soundcard Config"
utility in Knoppix to NO avail. The ESS "cards" mentioned in Knoppix list
quite a few, but NOT mine (ES1869). By the way, mine is actually a built on
the motherboard sound chipset and NOT an actual PCI/ISA soundcard, if this
matters.

On the other hand, I`m wondering why Knoppix is not finding the new PCI
soundcard which *is* listed (C-Media PCI Audio 8738) under the Soundcard
Configuration Utility? Knoppix also is NOT "seeing" any card in that PCI
slot!

I`m thinking there is a Motherboard jumper involved here with first:
disabling the onboard sound chip, as there is *nothing* in the Compaq BIOS
related to audio.

Matt

Old May 28th 04, 01:54 AM
kony

On Thu, 27 May 2004 16:09:10 GMT, "Mattrixx" wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion though I have indeed tried the "Soundcard Config"
utility in Knoppix to NO avail. The ESS "cards" mentioned in Knoppix list
quite a few, but NOT mine (ES1869). By the way, mine is actually a built on
the motherboard sound chipset and NOT an actual PCI/ISA soundcard, if this
matters.

It does not matter, it will use same driver as an PCI-carded ES1869
would/could.

On the other hand, I`m wondering why Knoppix is not finding the new PCI
soundcard which *is* listed (C-Media PCI Audio 8738) under the Soundcard
Configuration Utility? Knoppix also is NOT "seeing" any card in that PCI
slot!

I`m thinking there is a Motherboard jumper involved here with first:
disabling the onboard sound chip, as there is *nothing* in the Compaq BIOS
related to audio.

Two additional thoughts:

Compaq severely limits the options available in their BIOS, it could be
that the retail version of that motherboard (if one even exists) would
have such an option in the bios.

If there is no jumper, there might be a spot on the PCB for one, perhaps
just a jumper wire between two pin-spots on the PCB, in which case if you
could trace those jumpers you could see whether the jumper could be cut...
that that's just a theory observed with misc hardware, not necessarily
that specific board.