Slave or Master

Old December 20th 03, 08:34 PM
RanMan

Default Slave or Master

I just received a new hard drive in the mail and I want to make it the
slave, but..

There is no clear indication on the drive (no paperwork) which is which...

all it says is Jumper masterlave slave
J50 on off

There are five options : : : . :
[:]

It came with the pin on the left vertical row of pins.

Does this imply leaving the jumper pins off in order to make it the slave?

Old December 20th 03, 08:41 PM
RanMan

Well I guess it would help to know that..duh!!!

It's a 20gb maxtor.

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
I just received a new hard drive in the mail and I want to make it the
slave, but..

There is no clear indication on the drive (no paperwork) which is

which...

all it says is Jumper masterlave slave
J50 on off

There are five options : : : . :
[:]

It came with the pin on the left vertical row of pins.

Does this imply leaving the jumper pins off in order to make it the

slave?

What brand is it ? Most drive makers have the info on line.

Old December 20th 03, 08:54 PM
Shep©

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:41:08 GMT Singing Yo-Ho-Ho and a Merry KMA
"RanMan" wrote :

Well I guess it would help to know that..duh!!!

It's a 20gb maxtor.

There will be a better explained legend on here somewhere,
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/index.htm
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old December 20th 03, 09:28 PM
kony

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:34:52 GMT, "RanMan" wrote:

I just received a new hard drive in the mail and I want to make it the
slave, but..

There is no clear indication on the drive (no paperwork) which is which...

all it says is Jumper masterlave slave
J50 on off

There are five options : : : . :
[:]

It came with the pin on the left vertical row of pins.

Does this imply leaving the jumper pins off in order to make it the slave?

Yes, but it's not just implied, they really meant it. ;-)

If you turn the drive over that row probably has "50" printed on the
PCB too, though I think some of the D740X series were 20GB and had a
plastic cover hiding that portion, but they didn't have that pin
arrangement so it couldn't be a D740X.

Dave

Old December 20th 03, 10:26 PM
Norm

If your not wanting to use cable select then just remove all jumpers to use
it as a slave, every maxtor I've ever used has been like that.

Old December 21st 03, 12:32 AM
Hank

"RanMan" wrote in message
I just received a new hard drive in the mail and I want to make it the
slave, but..

There is no clear indication on the drive (no paperwork) which is which...

all it says is Jumper masterlave slave
J50 on off

There are five options : : : . :
[:]

It came with the pin on the left vertical row of pins.

Does this imply leaving the jumper pins off in order to make it the slave?

To make it a slave you use no jumper at all. Trust me.

Hank