So what if thermal compound spreads?

Old April 12th 04, 03:42 AM
Queve Tientoo

"Paul Hopwood" wrote in message
| CrackerJack wrote:
|
| What exactly is the problem if too much cpu compound is put on the
| core and it gets squashed out onto the surrounding area?
|
| Apart from looking messy, is there any real problem with this?
|
| You'll always get a little but if you are squeezing a lot out it
| indicates you've applied far too much, meaning the layer of paste
| between the processor die/heatspreader and heatsink is too thick.

No matter how much you put on, the excess will get squeezed
out buy the pressure from the HS hold down clip, your layer will always
end up the same thickness. I have removed several and the "layer" looks the
same on both the carefully applied with no squizz-out and the sloppy with
heavy squizz.

Old April 12th 04, 04:50 AM
Noozer

1) If the compound is not too viscous, and the heatsink is clamped on
with some force, and you apply enough compound, the thickness of the
layer of compound does not depend on the amount applied, which is to say
that the excess gets squeezed out.

2) Thermal compounds are not electrically conductive.

3) Some thermal compounds (notably those containing silver compounds)
have capacitative properties that can be problemmatic if compound gets
between the chip's leads.

4) If you use a compound that doesn't have the problemmatic capacitative
properties and is not too viscous, in general it won't hurt to use too

much.

1) WRONG
2) WRONG
3) If 3 is true then 2) is wrong. You've just proved that yourself.
4) WRONG.

Please start with this: In what way does 3 contradict 2?

How can you have capacitive properties if a compound is not conductive?

1) Wrong becausewhen you use too much compound, pressure will not squeeze
out to the same amount as if you had used the correct amount of compound to
start with.

2) EVERYTHING is electrically conductive to some degree. Even glass and
rubber are conductive in the right conditions.

3) True, but I've never had issues do to goo-ed up CPU's.

4) Too much compound is like wrapping your core in a blanket... It slows the
transfer of heat from the core to the sink/air.

Old April 12th 04, 06:51 AM
Yoyoma_2

Noozer wrote:
[...]

I'me no AMD expert but i think basic physics will tell you that even
with a high friction coeficient between compound and material, a high
preassure like that will spread the relativley non-viscous compound to
its optimal value, PROVIDED that there are no air bubles or other
colloidal elements.

2) EVERYTHING is electrically conductive to some degree. Even glass and
rubber are conductive in the right conditions.

Thats a pretty simplified view. I think your mixing up conductivity
with dielectric. Electrons can stream between anode and cathode with
resistance but "conductivity" comes from fermi-dirac effects within the
metal (not to be confused with the fermi level). Basically the easy
ionization of metals is what causes its high conductivity (because there
are electrons so close to the fermi level). You might get quantum
tunelling effects but thats another story.

In fact if you put a high enough charge through a molecule like, for
example a protein, you will destroy the protein's bindings before you
end up getting any real conductivity. It works like this. For an
electron do steam through a material, thats dielectric. For an electron
to conduct through a metal by going through orbits, thats conductivity.

And i think your ignoring that the minute, minute, minute conductivity
of the thermal compound might not be even tnough to short out anything
because remember the components do have a threshold value. I wouldn't
worry about conductivity. If it was soo easily conductive, wouldn't the
huge EM field coming from the processor affect it also?

3) True, but I've never had issues do to goo-ed up CPU's.

When you make the material, assuming the silver is uniform, you can
easily see if a charge has a big enough dialectric to conduct. I'me
sure the good poeple at GooCorp thought of that . If not i'me sure it
will be smaller than the threshold value assuming that the dielectric is
high enough. If your really worried, take some goo, punch in a
multimeter and see.

4) Too much compound is like wrapping your core in a blanket... It slows the
transfer of heat from the core to the sink/air.

I'de be more worried about the presence of air bubbles when you goop it
on from a little tube nozzle, that can affect the heat transfer.

Also a nother thing though, if you don't put a lot of goop (not that
i'me advocating that too much goop is good) you might get dust between
the chip and the fan, and that my friends is bad since dust is
elctrostatically charged and does not act as a very good heat conductor.
Old April 12th 04, 10:25 AM
QBall

"ntl: Victim" wrote in message
"QBall" wrote in message

"Conor" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Remember, the idea is NOT to form a layer between the two surfaces.
The purpose of the paste is to fill the valleys in the contact
surfaces with something which is more efficient at transferring heat
away from the CPU core than the air which would otherwise fill the
gaps

How I apply mine..

How I apply mine.
Barely visible bit of goop on the mirror-lapped sink.
Spread with a finger until the goop is invisible.
Apply what's left on finger to die.
Result : metal-metal contact maximised.
If the goop is visible, you have the troughs filled AND the peaks

covered -
bad.

Hmmm greasy finger goop,

I have fine, non-greasy skin.
I notice other people's mice and keyboards are always covered in a sort of
greasy/grainy mix ..... disgusting.
You could always wash your finger first, you know.
Using an implement allows the introduction of coarse particulate matter
(which will screw the interface) - which a finger can easily detect.
Anyway, the addition of a microscopic quantity of skin oil makes no
difference whatsoever.

damn boy if you worked in my place and used your
bare hands you'd be getting a **** round the back of your head...

Small pea sized lump on the heatsink. Spread thinly then scrape off
with a razorblade.

Very small dot on the CPU core. Spread extremely thinly so it is

hardly
visible.

--
Conor