"The system shutdown due to overclocking"

Old March 24th 04, 02:43 PM
Mike Tetrault

Default "The system shutdown due to overclocking"

I have configured the following,

AMD 2800+ Barton
ASUS A7V8X
512MB DDR Cruical 3200 DDR400

I set my settings at 12.5 X 181, the system runs great at around 48C.

As soon as i put it to 12.5 X 182, upon reboot I get no picture on the
monitor and I hear the ASUS Post Reporter say "The system as been shut down
due to overclocking". I reboot, put it back to 12.5 X 181 and its fine.

Is this is as fast as it will go? Am I doing something wrong?

Help!

Old March 24th 04, 05:42 PM
John Q

have you tried upping the core voltage this is quite often needed at
elevated bus speeds
"Mike Tetrault" wrote in message
I have configured the following,

AMD 2800+ Barton
ASUS A7V8X
512MB DDR Cruical 3200 DDR400

I set my settings at 12.5 X 181, the system runs great at around 48C.

As soon as i put it to 12.5 X 182, upon reboot I get no picture on the
monitor and I hear the ASUS Post Reporter say "The system as been shut

down
due to overclocking". I reboot, put it back to 12.5 X 181 and its fine.

Is this is as fast as it will go? Am I doing something wrong?

Help!

---

Old March 24th 04, 06:22 PM
Mike Tetrault

This brings me to my next question:

How do you know when you cannot overclock any higher?

Old March 24th 04, 06:48 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:43:58 -0500, Mike Tetrault wrote:

I have configured the following,

AMD 2800+ Barton
ASUS A7V8X
512MB DDR Cruical 3200 DDR400

I set my settings at 12.5 X 181, the system runs great at around 48C.

As soon as i put it to 12.5 X 182, upon reboot I get no picture on the
monitor and I hear the ASUS Post Reporter say "The system as been shut down
due to overclocking". I reboot, put it back to 12.5 X 181 and its fine.

Is this is as fast as it will go? Am I doing something wrong?

I assume this board has a KT333 or KT400(A) chipset and as such doesn't
have a a 6 divider for the the pci/agp bus. That could be the problem.
Might try setting the multiplier higher and keeping the FSB down closer to
166.

Old March 24th 04, 07:55 PM
Hippy Paul

"Mike Tetrault" wrote in message
I have configured the following,

AMD 2800+ Barton
ASUS A7V8X
512MB DDR Cruical 3200 DDR400

I set my settings at 12.5 X 181, the system runs great at around 48C.

As soon as i put it to 12.5 X 182, upon reboot I get no picture on the
monitor and I hear the ASUS Post Reporter say "The system as been shut

down
due to overclocking". I reboot, put it back to 12.5 X 181 and its fine.

Is this is as fast as it will go? Am I doing something wrong?

Help!

Er Yes it is and No you are not - you have a KT400 chipset. About
180-185mhz is the maximum you can get on the fsb -due to the pci/agp
frequency getting increased as you increase the fsb - as the two are locked
together.

The only option is to change the multiplier to a higher value - if it is a
locked Barton the locking work around is said to work on the KT400 (I have
an unlocked one so I have not tried)

Old March 26th 04, 11:53 PM
Geoff

Mike Tetrault wrote:
I have configured the following,

AMD 2800+ Barton
ASUS A7V8X
512MB DDR Cruical 3200 DDR400

I set my settings at 12.5 X 181, the system runs great at around 48C.

As soon as i put it to 12.5 X 182, upon reboot I get no picture on the
monitor and I hear the ASUS Post Reporter say "The system as been
shut down due to overclocking". I reboot, put it back to 12.5 X 181
and its fine.

Is this is as fast as it will go? Am I doing something wrong?

Help!

it's a kt400
therefor synced to fsb pci and agp
basicly, you need to hit 166mhz, or 200mhz fsb anything in between won't
work too well
you shoud have a bought the nforce2 ultra 400 based mobo really

Old March 27th 04, 03:16 AM
jean cool

"Geoff" wrote in message ...
Mike Tetrault wrote:
I have configured the following,

AMD 2800+ Barton
ASUS A7V8X
512MB DDR Cruical 3200 DDR400

I set my settings at 12.5 X 181, the system runs great at around 48C.

As soon as i put it to 12.5 X 182, upon reboot I get no picture on the
monitor and I hear the ASUS Post Reporter say "The system as been
shut down due to overclocking". I reboot, put it back to 12.5 X 181
and its fine.

Is this is as fast as it will go? Am I doing something wrong?

Help!

it's a kt400
therefor synced to fsb pci and agp
basicly, you need to hit 166mhz, or 200mhz fsb anything in between won't
work too well
you shoud have a bought the nforce2 ultra 400 based mobo really

Yes it;ll be the pci/agp flaking out.

1150 is the failsafe minimum so you may be able to get more without
hitting the limit. Mine falls back to that if I push it too hard.

If your bios has a fsb/agp/pci divider you will need to set that to
5:2:1 to push the fsb up.

As a guide:

I have a Barton 2000 on a kt333 based mobo and it just about gets to
188 with a few voltage tweeks but 189 wont post.

Even then more serious testing (running memtest86 and burnBX) shows it
needs to be more like to 176 to be rock solid.

HTH