Need a Kick-Ass Case!

Old January 22nd 04, 11:24 PM
Thomas A. Horsley

I have a Lian Li case and you just slide the motherboard out.Great case
regards Al

Yep. I love my Lian-Li cases (I now have two since I liked the first
so much). The best part about the aluminum case is that it isn't magnetic!
You can use magnetic screwdrivers when mounting disks and things and
the case doesn't yank the screwdriver out of your hand and send the little
screw on the end down some impossible to reach hole where it will lurk
until just the right time to short something out :-).
--
== The *Best* political site URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/ ==+

email: icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley Free Software and Politics ==+
Old January 22nd 04, 11:34 PM
Homie

We have 2 of these !!!
http://www.lsmicro.com/prod_info/cases_pwsp/cassrv.htm

They are hard to fill !

Gary

--
Mainboards, Videocards & CPU pin repair.

http://motherboardrepair.com

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi,

I have just sold my 4 months old AMD system which was housed in an ANTEC
SX630II Mini Tower case. I did like the ANTEC but it was my *Value* option.
I intend to build a new system (AMD I reckon) but this time I want to
push-the-boat-out with the Case + PSU.

I am an overclocker, I like ABIT mobos and Radeon Graphics. I want to use
at least 4-6 hard drives + assorted optical drives.

So far the thing I want to try the most is this *removable* mobo tray but I
am not sure if this works as I think it might?. The thing I didn't like
about my ANTEC case was that it was a tight fit with My ABIT NF7-S and it
was impossible to mount the HSF (AERO7 LITE) when the mobo was inside the
case, so I had to attach the HSF on the mobo outside the case then lift the
bare mobo (with HSF attached) and fumble-finger it down into the case, no
fun at all. This meant that if I wanted to swap out HSF or try a new CPU I
would literally have to disassemble my ENTIRE PC, screws out from Mobo and
everything! what a PAIN!. I do not know of a way to take the HSF on/off
while the mobo was inside my case as the clip for the HSF was facing the
inside. . towards the PSU, so yeah I could remove the PSU to unclip the HSF
but still a pain.

If I had a case with *removable* mobo holder tray, would I be able to slide
the mobo in/out with a HSF attached? If so this would be *Kickass* but I'm
not sure if this is possible? If I can't do this then I see little point in
having a *removable* mobo tray?

So with this in mind, I am looking for these features in my new case:

1) Aluminium - To help system cooling
2) Removable Mobo Tray - To help make frequent HSF/CPU changes as painless
as possible
3) External USB2.0 ports - Preferably that will connect to my mobo easy
4) Space and Cooling for several HDDs
5) Plenty Fans - Blowhole on top is desirable

= = = = = = = = = = =
So far I am very tempted to get this case:
CoolerMaster Praetorian PAC-T01-E1 - Silver (£94.17)
http://tinyurl.com/3dghv
= = = = = = = = = = =
Of course I would need to power my new system. My best PSU choice so far is:
ANTEC TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU (£76.36)
http://tinyurl.com/2lsy4
I have a blue theme goin on, even though I have no side window in my spec.
= = = = = = = = = = =
TOTAL: £170.53
= = = = = = = = = = =
Thanks for reading, I am quite new at deluxe cases so maybe you could lend
me your experience
--
Wayne ][

Old January 23rd 04, 12:17 AM
Ed Forsythe

Hi Wayne,
Lian Li PC-70 series. They have 6 external 5.25, 3 external 3.5, and 6
internal 3.5 drive bays. From all I've read I think that the Lian Li cases
are the best. If not there are none better. I'd think before I'd buy the
black case because that would defeat one of the purposes of the Al case
(dissipate heat). Ever seen a black radiator or a steel heatsink? s.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed

Old January 23rd 04, 12:28 AM
Jerry Polyak

1. Why do you want your case to kick your ass?

2. Do you require the case for the ass kicking, or could someone just come
over and kick your ass with out having to bring the said case?

3. If a case is required, would the person kicking your ass get the case
back once the ass kicking is completed?

This is just a joke, so don't take it seriously.... VBG

Old January 23rd 04, 12:57 AM
Wayne Youngman

Hi all,

I'm glad I made that post. Lots of Lian Li fans here :P

I should have mentioned that I like in the U.K (London) and we don't carry a
great stock of Lian Li! products here. Sure I know about overclockers.co.uk
(been using them about 4 years) but they have a limited range. I also
checked out the Coolermaster P160, look nice, but it doesn't have a
*slidable* mobo tray, looks like you have to lift its tray out?

I saw the case I wanted sell out in front of my eyes (grrr!) because I was
procrastinating. I really do like ANTEC cases except they don't include any
with *removable/slidable* mobo trays.

I almost tempted to just buy a new heatsink *without* any spring clips, like
a ThermalRight job that can screw down into the holes. The problem is I
just can't remove the HSF when its mounted in my ANTEC case. This is the
reason I an keen on slide-out mobo trays, so I can *tinker* allot more. .

Will keep reading and also look for a good supplier of Lian-Li cases in the
U.K
--
Wayne ][

Old January 23rd 04, 01:18 AM
Paul Greer

Will keep reading and also look for a good supplier of Lian-Li cases in

the
U.K

try www.microdirect.co.uk

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/catalog...s=AllFields&tx
tDesc=lian

Old January 23rd 04, 01:36 AM
Frank Hagan

[...]

I sold my Antec SX635 and got a couple of Antec SX835's. If I lay it flat on
my kitchen counter I can swap CPUs and HSFs. I admit it is a bit easier with
the board out of the case, but I've swaped a number of CPUs and had no
problems. I do like Antec cases and power supplies!

FRH

Old January 23rd 04, 01:43 AM
Gandolf_One

[...]

These guys have a few

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/home.php?cat=287

Also been using them for about 2 years now with no probs.

Old January 23rd 04, 01:50 AM
Wayne Youngman

"Jerry Polyak" wrote
1. Why do you want your case to kick your ass?

2. Do you require the case for the ass kicking, or could someone just

come
over and kick your ass with out having to bring the said case?

3. If a case is required, would the person kicking your ass get the case
back once the ass kicking is completed?

This is just a joke, so don't take it seriously.... VBG

Hi,
it's none of the above, you missed option #4

4. The case will kick your ass, and anyone's ass who mess's with me. I am
puny in real life so I figure I need a kick-ass case for protection, I was
thinking about a dog or a crocodile or something like that but they are
expensive! and can't help my much in my computing hobby :P

did I miss something?
--
Wayne ][

Old January 23rd 04, 01:56 AM
Frank Hagan

[...]

In Florida we have computer literate alligators, in fact they have their own
university (Florida State ;-) but would they survive in the UK?

FRH