"Unknown CPU Type" error when booting

Old October 19th 03, 12:09 AM
TT

Default "Unknown CPU Type" error when booting

Just purchased a AthlonXP 2400+ for an old Soltek SL75KAV motherboard.
Happily running an AthlonXP 1800+ for over a year on this board. This was
the last upgrade of CPU this motherboard could handle (as it only has 266
FSB and uses SDRAM). I updated the BIOS before updating the chip as per
Soltek's website to allow for 2400+ chip on this M/B. Put the new chip in
and after clearing CMOS it boots up noting "Unknown CPU type 1700+". No
amount of re-flashing the BIOS both back to previous version and the latest
version will get my PC to boot noting that it has the new 2400+ chip in it.
M/B has dip switches for multiplier and FSB settings, but as I am not
o/c'ing this chip, I don't see why I should play with these? Bought the
chip from retailer in an AMD box with AMD fan. Should I take the thing
back and get a refund?

Old October 19th 03, 05:48 AM
nobody

"TT" wrote in message
[...]

You need to run that at 15 multiplier I believe.

Old October 19th 03, 06:48 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:09:20 +0000, TT wrote:

Just purchased a AthlonXP 2400+ for an old Soltek SL75KAV motherboard.
Happily running an AthlonXP 1800+ for over a year on this board. This was
the last upgrade of CPU this motherboard could handle (as it only has 266
FSB and uses SDRAM). I updated the BIOS before updating the chip as per
Soltek's website to allow for 2400+ chip on this M/B. Put the new chip in
and after clearing CMOS it boots up noting "Unknown CPU type 1700+". No
amount of re-flashing the BIOS both back to previous version and the latest
version will get my PC to boot noting that it has the new 2400+ chip in it.
M/B has dip switches for multiplier and FSB settings, but as I am not
o/c'ing this chip, I don't see why I should play with these? Bought the
chip from retailer in an AMD box with AMD fan. Should I take the thing
back and get a refund?

No. You need to set the multiplier and FSB to equate to the speed you
want.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:36 AM
TT

The mutilplier in my manual is maximum 12.5 and the BIOS upgrades have never
noted any new pin selection for upping the multiplier at all. Makes me
wonder why they place BIOS upgrades on the web site that say it will allow
2400+ on the motherboard if the mutiplier cannot go high enough. I ended up
taking it back for a full refund.

news

Old October 22nd 03, 05:57 PM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:36:25 +0000, TT wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
[...]

So this means your board only supports 4 of the 5 multiplier bits. Common
for older boards. The 2400+ uses the 5th bit, so anything that you set is
changed by the cpu since it's got the 5th bit (8x) active high.

Makes me wonder why they place BIOS upgrades on the web site that say it
will allow 2400+ on the motherboard if the mutiplier cannot go high
enough. I ended up taking it back for a full refund.

Only MB's that properly support all 5 multiplier bits can set the
multiplier accurately. See Multiplier Cross Ref. in link below. Also check
this out.

http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/TbredDecode0.htm#Table

Since you've already returned the 2400+, I guess it doesn't much matter,
but it will work in your board. You just have to know how to set it up.
And the Unknown CPU Type doesn't matter. That's just cosmetic, meaning it
doesn't know what it is. Here's what the one in the sig line shows up as.

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Unknown CPU Type
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2400.188
cache size : 256 KB

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 11:49 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
USB Pen Drive now shows as an unknown device Daryl General 3 April 3rd 04 12:14 AM
Athlon XP on old board is 'unknown CPU type' is this gonna be a problem? Simon Overclocking AMD Processors 2 January 20th 04 09:05 AM
Get the Serial Number with Visual Basic Michael Wittmann General 15 November 15th 03 07:03 PM