Duron overclock and temps

Old September 9th 05, 06:01 AM
Big Sky

Default Duron overclock and temps

I have my Duron 1.8GHz over clocked to 1.9GHz. After running a bunch of
..mpg files while defragging the HD and other operations, the CPU was up to
48 degrees C with a case temp of 37 degrees C. Could anyone comment if this
is a typical CPU temp? Is the difference btwn case and CPU temps unusual
(its bigger than with my other computers)? I currently am using one of
those CPU shims to keep the HSF from damaging the CPU but am wondering
whether I'm getting good contact btwn the CPU and HSF. Yes I am using
heatsink compound. I have one medium speed 80mm case fan in the front of
the case and the PS has 2 built in 80mm case fans. The case in a smaller
mid size tower (won't take full size MBs).

Thanks.

BigSky

Old September 9th 05, 06:11 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 22:01:50 -0700, Big Sky wrote:

I have my Duron 1.8GHz over clocked to 1.9GHz. After running a bunch of
.mpg files while defragging the HD and other operations, the CPU was up to
48 degrees C with a case temp of 37 degrees C. Could anyone comment if this
is a typical CPU temp? Is the difference btwn case and CPU temps unusual
(its bigger than with my other computers)? I currently am using one of
those CPU shims to keep the HSF from damaging the CPU but am wondering
whether I'm getting good contact btwn the CPU and HSF. Yes I am using
heatsink compound. I have one medium speed 80mm case fan in the front of
the case and the PS has 2 built in 80mm case fans. The case in a smaller
mid size tower (won't take full size MBs).

Nothing wrong with the CPU temp, but the case temp is higher than I'd
like. Of course it could be because it's in a warm room, but if your case
temp goes up considerably under heavy use, you should consider better
ventilation.

Old September 11th 05, 12:26 AM
Big Sky

Thanks. The case is a dated Micron case so my ventilation options are
limited to the front fan and PSU fan unless I want to cut some holes...oh
man, have I butchered some cases before. I want to avoid any high RPM fans
because I want to use this computer as my HTPC in the living room.

I do have a nice quiet 120 mm fan as well as a temp sensor 80mm fan...if I
could just get the nerve to try cutting holes in sheet steel again...

BigSky

Old September 11th 05, 01:18 AM
Ed Light

"Big Sky" wrote

I do have a nice quiet 120 mm fan as well as a temp sensor 80mm fan...if I
could just get the nerve to try cutting holes in sheet steel again...

Try this:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/vie...69a09 d1525ec

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old September 13th 05, 07:58 AM

Why don't you install another CPU fan if you worry about overburning?
I installed another fan. no problem or worry about temp.