athlon xp 2800 - Ghz?

Old August 8th 05, 09:25 PM
BobTheCat

Default athlon xp 2800 - Ghz?

Hi,

I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP (fan
and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when he
booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

[I have NO experience with AMD.]

Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq? [He
has an eMachine].

Thanks!
BobTheCat

Old August 8th 05, 09:41 PM
dawg

There were two types of 2800+ made by AMD. One ran at 266 FSB,the other ran
at 333 FSB.The 266 cpu is and was very hard to get for some reason. Neither
one ran at 2.8ghz. But they were different actual speeds. It's funny
though,the A64 2800+ I have runs at 1.8Ghz and beats the XP 2800+ that runs
at 2.08Ghz. This damn numbering system AMD came up with is insane,and
Intel's system is just as confusing!!

Old August 8th 05, 10:37 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 20:25:28 +0000, BobTheCat wrote:

I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP (fan
and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when he
booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

Yes, there's the original Tbred B core that ran at 2250MHz (13.5x166) and
the newer Barton core with twice the cache that runs at 2083MHz
(12.5x166). There's also MP and XP-M models that run on a 133 MHz FSB.

Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?
[He has an eMachine].

The new one you bought appears to be a Barton core and it's probably
multiplier locked unless it's an XP-M. So all you can do is raise the
FSB. How high depends on the board you have, but up to about 175MHz should
be safe on any of them. You may need to raise vcore to get it stable.

Old August 9th 05, 12:44 AM
Ruel Smith

I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP
(fan
and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when
he
booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

You're dad's on crack... There are two different speeds based on the core,
which one runs at 266 MHz FSB and the other 333 MHz. However, neither runs
at 2.8 GHz.

Can this CPU be overclocked? How high is the "usual/average" SAFE freq?
[He
has an eMachine].

You'd need a non-OEM board to overclock via the BIOS. eMachines, Dell, HP,
Gateway, and others don't provide BIOS overclocking features. You can
hardware overclock by bridging pins on the CPU with special grease or paint,
but you'll need to search the web for the settings and how to do it.

Old August 9th 05, 10:24 AM
spodosaurus

Ruel Smith wrote:
I just ordered a replacement for my Dad's burned up 2800 AMD Athlon XP
(fan
and heatsink fell off) with a new one.
He insistes that his previous CPU said "2.75 or 2.8Ghz" in the POST when
he
booted his PC but the specs on the one I ordered says it's a 2.08Ghz CPU.
Are there different speeds of the same Athlon XP 2800 CPU?

You're dad's on crack...

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Old August 9th 05, 12:35 PM
rstlne

"Ruel Smith" wrote in message
[...]

You dont need to be rude about something.
the OP should have asked the question before ordering a replacement however.
His dad may have well seen 2.7 or 2.8 .. Many people see the PR rating and
think it's the actual speed.. That was what AMD plann'd.. Show the user a
2.8 that runs about like the competitions 2.8..