Should I go Athlon64 or Barton?

Old September 18th 04, 03:18 AM
George Macdonald

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:34:25 -0400, keith wrote:

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 04:31:14 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:10:06 -0400, keith wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:27:40 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 23:16:59 +0200, "jack" wrote:

George Macdonald wrote:
: On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 12:58:07 +0200, "jack" wrote:
:
:: gaffo wrote:
:: snip all
::
:: Dude, your sig is a bummer, man. As much as I agree with your
:: political views and frustrations entirely, your sig as it stands
:: simply has no place on Usenet...it's very unpolite (meaning WAY
too
:: large).
:
: What's new - another left-wing windbag!

Well, Vswm No. 1 steps up to the podium...

Thank you... thank you.... thank you. I'm honored to have such an award
from the likes of you.

Ah, come on man! Can't I get in here too?

Well I believe the numbering is just chronological: though you got labelled
#2 you're apparently ranked higher than I am.... something like that
anyway.:-)

snip

Hey listen for the sound of jack-boots really carefully Jack. That car you
drive is a certain target for confiscation when your party of choice gets
its ducks in a row and cons everyone into getting it into power. But hey,
didn't they just get elected where you live? Oh dear, I wonder how long
it'll take??.... better keep your eye out for EC directives on the
subject... probably how they'll start. It certainly doesn't have a
"pedestrian friendly" front end either... a double whammy that, on top of
being such a conspicuous consumer of "valuable world resources".:-( Of
course before then, there's always the chance that some frenzied environut
will take matters into his own righteous hands - probably better to hide
it.

The ones with the jack-boots are the leftists. Look at campus speech
these days. Agree or leave!

Well the left probably has a majority there but pricks are pricks no matter
which color of flag they wave - err, C.F. (B)Orrin Hatch. At least if
they're elected there are options;

Wait a minute George! Mr. Hatch was elected! He *can* be removed.

Yes but like Daschle, he balances his misdeeds with a full pork barrel so
the locals, who are as looney a lot as anywhere on the planet, love him.
The non-elected remark was a lead-in to the European situation where
policies are set by the "Commision" "appointed" members, comprising a
number which is ironically close to that of the old Soviet Politburo. Most
are unelectable political rejects who do not hesitate to bring in the
family and err, friends. It's nuts.

when they're self- or cronie- appointed
is when you get real trouble. I hope everyone, everywhere is paying close
attention to the Euro-madness.

Indeed. The EU is just as dangerous as the UN. I predict another European
war withing *our* lifetime.

I doubt a war like we normally think of - possibly widespread terrorism and
guerilla cells... it's the modern way.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old September 18th 04, 08:56 AM

*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``' ΈτΆσ - Cull the O/T ****e '``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
BoroLad
Old September 19th 04, 05:20 PM
Robert Redelmeier

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips keith wrote:
Indeed. The EU is just as dangerous as the UN.

Like the League of Nations was dangerous? Very subtle,
creating a false sense of security and later indignation.

I predict another European war withing *our* lifetime.

Possibly like the US Civil War? Centrists vs Federalists?

-- Robert

Old September 19th 04, 05:33 PM
keith

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:18:54 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:00:41 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 04:27:52 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

Not sure of the importance of that... other than the fact that by that
time, the idea of building a useful business device around a microprocessor
had taken hold and had a future. By that time, Motorola and National Semi
were also making loud noises about their 68010 and 16032 32-bit
microprocessors - no point in putting the horrible truth up in bold
letters.:-)

Here we go agian. The 68010 was also defined as a 16bit CPU just like the
68000. The first defined as a 32bit by Motorola in the 68000 family was
the 68020.

Both are generallly recognized as 16/32-bit CPUs - both had 32-bit
registers and had some instructions which operated on the full width. The
point is, of course, that Intel was not going to peg its offering as 16-bit
only.

Yes, Intel had the 8086 (16bit) so wanted to sell its brother into the
lower-cost market. The fact is that they were both (8086 and 8088), by
any computer architect's definition. Marketing reality.

--
Keith
Old September 19th 04, 09:17 PM
keith

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:20:42 +0000, Robert Redelmeier wrote:

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips keith wrote:
Indeed. The EU is just as dangerous as the UN.

Like the League of Nations was dangerous? Very subtle,
creating a false sense of security and later indignation.

No, rather like an unelected government that answers to no one.
....and unchecked bureaucracy, with no limits.

I predict another European war withing *our* lifetime.

Possibly like the US Civil War? Centrists vs Federalists?

Perhaps you're closer here, but I was thinking more along the lines of
WWI/II. ...ugly in any case.

--
Keith

Old September 20th 04, 05:51 AM
Robert Redelmeier

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips keith wrote:
No, rather like an unelected government that answers to no one.

Do elected representatives really answer that much?

...and unchecked bureaucracy, with no limits.

Ah, but all bureaucracies are fundamentally limited by
competence.

-- Robert

Old September 20th 04, 10:58 AM
George Macdonald

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:17:50 -0400, keith wrote:

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 16:20:42 +0000, Robert Redelmeier wrote:

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips keith wrote:
Indeed. The EU is just as dangerous as the UN.

Like the League of Nations was dangerous? Very subtle,
creating a false sense of security and later indignation.

No, rather like an unelected government that answers to no one.
...and unchecked bureaucracy, with no limits.

The indignation has already taken a strong hold, especially in England, and
certainly some in Scotland & Wales. The Irish (Eire) have, of course,
already learned how to lick the Euro-boot and wallow in the err, "economic
benefits". From what I saw recently, the English are totally ****ed with
the whole thing - no way is Blair going to allow a referendum on this...
which may be the one thing which brings him down.

The feeling is that Norway got it right when they balked at the 11th hour
over the "access commun" (common ownership of territorial waters & fishing
rights) which the Euro-parliament enacted the day before final signature by
U.K., Ireland, Denmark and the recalcitrant Norway.

I predict another European war withing *our* lifetime.

Possibly like the US Civil War? Centrists vs Federalists?

Perhaps you're closer here, but I was thinking more along the lines of
WWI/II. ...ugly in any case.

Why? The Germans and French are already running the show so they don't
need to rile against anything. IMO it'll start with civil disobedience,
unrest and lead to guerilla & "terrorist" incidents. The Basques are just
the start though they've always had a beef with the Spanish govt.

Rgds, George Macdonald