Need a Kick-Ass Case!

Old January 30th 04, 10:12 PM
Phil Weldon

No, just wrong. Black is better for absorption AND for emission of
radiation. However, for a heatsink (or case) used to dissipate heat by
convection, the color makes little difference, though anodization is better
for coloring than paint. Also, if you are using forced air convection for
cooling the interior of the case, the case material is of little importance.
Convection trumps radiation, especially at room temperatures.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Ed Forsythe" wrote in message
Hi Troops,
I was referring to the old fashioned hot water radiators used to heat
rooms - Way before most of you were born The fact that there are black
heatsinks, radiators, etc. does not mean that they are better at
dissipating/reflecting heat. Put a black and a white car side by side on

hot day. Wait a few hours and the interior temperature of the black car
will be higher than the white. A roof with light colored shingles will be
cooler than the one with dark shingles. A white shirt will keep you

cooler
in the summer than a black/dark shirt. But maybe I'm comparing apples and
oranges??
--
Tally Ho!
Ed
"McCrack" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:07:13 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton"
wrote:

Ummmmmmm... most car radiators happen to be black... and the one I
have on my watercooled P4 setup is black as well...

And Alpha heatsinks are black.

Old January 31st 04, 08:17 AM
Uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse

"ANDREW BELL" wrote in message

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm glad I made that post. Lots of Lian Li fans here :P

Me too :-). Lian Li PC6010 (the aquarium one, though if you need to remove
the aquarium side panel, they also provide you with a plain aluminium

panel
too).
Two (very minor) points about the case:
1) The PSU is meant to be screwed to a back plate and slid into the case
from the outside: the fan grill on the base of the TruePower 480 stops you
from doing that (the hole in the back of the case isn't quite deep

enough).

When I installed my TruBlue480 into my 6010, I took the bottom grill off to
slide the PSU in and put it back on after it was in. Unfortunately now that
I have a fat-ass Zalman7000 on the CPU, it would be near impossible to get a
tool in there And I can't simply slide my mobo out because I went
hardcore on the internal wire management.

No big deal, as if you're replacing the PSU you need to open up the PC
anyway.
2) The wires coming from the USB ports on the front of the case have a
connector on each individual wire rather than a "block" connector, which
makes it rather fiddly to attach to the motherboard header.

I thought that was because mfg's don't have just one standard... I found the
plugs a little hard to work with, but I waited to sober up before
translating Lian-Li terms to ASUS terms and it was really easy to do.

Having said that, I really like the case, though that one is probably too
small for your needs. Will take 4 x 5.25" drives and 6 x 3.5", but the

lower
three bays are directly behind the front intake fans.

Will keep reading and also look for a good supplier of Lian-Li cases in

the
U.K

Try www.kustompcs.co.uk . I use them and www.overclockers.co.uk for just
about all my hardware. Kustompcs tend to stock stuff I can't find

elsewhere
(in the UK), and I've used them quite a few times without a problem.

Andy

Old January 31st 04, 03:30 PM
David Maynard

Ed Forsythe wrote:
Hi Troops,
I was referring to the old fashioned hot water radiators used to heat
rooms - Way before most of you were born The fact that there are black
heatsinks, radiators, etc. does not mean that they are better at
dissipating/reflecting heat. Put a black and a white car side by side on a
hot day. Wait a few hours and the interior temperature of the black car
will be higher than the white. A roof with light colored shingles will be
cooler than the one with dark shingles. A white shirt will keep you cooler
in the summer than a black/dark shirt. But maybe I'm comparing apples and
oranges??

Yes, apples and oranges; in particular, convection vs radiation.

Color is typically irrelevant to convection (typical CPU heatsink) but
not to radiation and your examples actually prove the radiation point as
a "black body" (not meaning a car body) is the most efficient absorber
AND radiator. It works 'both ways'.

http://www.egglescliffe.org.uk/physi...ody/bbody.html

In CPU heatsinks the radiative effects are minuscule, and ignored,
compared to forced convection.