CPU temperature sensor not working in Win 7 anymore

Old January 4th 14, 05:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default CPU temperature sensor not working in Win 7 anymore

I recently upgraded my motherboard, but kept the existing CPU. I can see
the temperature readings in the BIOS setup during boot, but I'm not
seeing it within Windows. I'm running Core Temp, and I've tried
upgrading it, and also tried other programs like HWMonitor, etc. None of
them are seeing the proper temperature readings, they either report 0°C
or N/A.

The new board is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5, processor is a Phenom II
1100T. The new board has a UEFI BIOS rather than a traditional BIOS. I
looked through the BIOS settings to see if there is a setting there that
will allow the readings to come through to Windows, but nothing stands
out at me. Also I think that when I first installed the board, the
temperature sensor data was being read just fine by Core Temp. I'm
wondering maybe if it's a driver or something that's interfering here?

Yousuf Khan
Old January 4th 14, 06:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 04/01/2014 12:20 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

Ah, never mind, I finally got a reply from the Core Temp people on their
forum, and they said that this issue is usually caused by a CPU unlock
feature being enabled in the BIOS. I recall having played with that
feature when I was first installing the the board and then forgot about
it. I went back to the setting and disabled it again, and everything is
fine, I can see CPU temperatures again within Windows!

Yousuf Khan
Old January 4th 14, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
ghostrider

On 1/4/2014 9:20 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
[...]

Gigabyte probably has its own utility for reading the system parameters
of the motherboard. It might be embedded into its "Easy Tune" app. Not
all 3rd-party hardware monitors remain current with newer boards; their
utility apps typically embedded with enhancement features that can also
tweak the hardware, such as over-clocking.

GR