Video card problem

Old April 5th 05, 06:39 PM
Befuddled

Default Video card problem

I installed a Diamond Stealth 500 card in a 7360 running Win200Pro.
Other than there's no configuration software the card seems to running
fine. The problem is using games such as Star Wars:Pod Racer. The
intros look fine but when it gets to the games the screen flickers
making it useless to play I have tried setting the resolution to
different values but the problem persists. Current drivers are
installed. Suggestions?
Old April 6th 05, 03:21 AM
HH

Unfortunately, the 7360 uses an AMD K6/2 processor, which has a very poor
Floating Point Unit which is really important for gaming. Also, few video
drivers were written for the "3D Now" technology of the K6/2. An MMX Pentium
is a much better gaming processor than the K6/2. What refresh rate is set
for the display driver?

HH

Old April 6th 05, 12:06 PM
Befuddled

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:21:58 -0400, "HH" wrote:

Unfortunately, the 7360 uses an AMD K6/2 processor, which has a very poor
Floating Point Unit which is really important for gaming. Also, few video
drivers were written for the "3D Now" technology of the K6/2. An MMX Pentium
is a much better gaming processor than the K6/2. What refresh rate is set
for the display driver?

HH

The rate is set to 60hz. The machine had an ATI Rage Pro 16Mb card in
it that worked fine. That card has a configuration utility whereas
Win2000 driver for the Stealth has none.

.. .

Old April 6th 05, 02:03 PM
Ben Myers

The Stealth card may not have its own special configuration utility, but you can
use the standard built-in Display properties in Control Panel to change the
refresh rate. First, you need to find out the maximum refresh rate supported by
the monitor at the resolution you are using. The 60Hz refresh rate is the
default which is supported by most drivers, and my eyes can spot a 60Hz refresh
from 50 feet away. It is awful, but some older monitors need it. A faster rate
is always better and may smooth out the effects you are seeing... Ben Myers

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:06:59 GMT, Befuddled wrote:

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:21:58 -0400, "HH" wrote:

Unfortunately, the 7360 uses an AMD K6/2 processor, which has a very poor
Floating Point Unit which is really important for gaming. Also, few video
drivers were written for the "3D Now" technology of the K6/2. An MMX Pentium
is a much better gaming processor than the K6/2. What refresh rate is set
for the display driver?

HH

The rate is set to 60hz. The machine had an ATI Rage Pro 16Mb card in
it that worked fine. That card has a configuration utility whereas
Win2000 driver for the Stealth has none.

. ..

Old April 6th 05, 08:45 PM
HH

The other problem is that there is no AGP slot in a 7360 (It has oboard
Trident AGP video via the VIA chipset), so any video card must be PCI,
hardly the greatest for gaming.

HH

"Befuddled" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:21:58 -0400, "HH" wrote:

Unfortunately, the 7360 uses an AMD K6/2 processor, which has a very poor
Floating Point Unit which is really important for gaming. Also, few video
drivers were written for the "3D Now" technology of the K6/2. An MMX
Pentium
is a much better gaming processor than the K6/2. What refresh rate is set
for the display driver?

HH

The rate is set to 60hz. The machine had an ATI Rage Pro 16Mb card in
it that worked fine. That card has a configuration utility whereas
Win2000 driver for the Stealth has none.

. ..

Old April 6th 05, 10:26 PM
Befuddled

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:45:32 -0400, "HH" wrote:

The other problem is that there is no AGP slot in a 7360 (It has oboard
Trident AGP video via the VIA chipset), so any video card must be PCI,
hardly the greatest for gaming.

HH

That may be the answer, I suspected it is an AGP card. That might
also explain why the PC will suddenly freezeup. Back the the ATI card.

Thanks very much for you help.

.. .