Presario R3000: Unsupported Network Device Found

Old April 24th 04, 04:32 PM
Tom Betters

Default Presario R3000: Unsupported Network Device Found

My daugther has a Compaq Presario R3000 notebook. It came with an
integrated Broadcom based mini-pci wireless-G card. Because I use an
Atheros based router (DLink Di-624) I would prefer an Atheros card. The
speed is much higher when Atheros to Atheros rather than Broadcom to
Atheros. I have made such a change easily before with a Dell and Toshiba
laptop.

Compaq prevents you from doing such a change. After installing the new
mini-pci card, at system POST, I get the message: Unsupported Network
Device Found. Please remove and restart system. This is at POST - system
hasn;t even booted yet. Clearly its a check upfront in the BIOS and in all
liklihood if I could bypass the check, it would work fine.

I understand Compaq wouldn't want to take any support calls from me on
this - fair enough, I dont use their support anyway. Anyone know of a way
to bypass this check ?

(In the mean time, I went back to the original Broadcom wireless-G. )

Old April 24th 04, 06:30 PM
Kevin Childers

I've seen this before with some devices, you have to install the drivers
first and then insert the device. Check the set-up for the card and see if
they or any notes at the company web site offer some further suggestions.

KC

Old April 24th 04, 07:15 PM
Tom Betters

I did install the driver first, but I'm pretty confident this is not the
issue here. The driver installs to the operating system and is loaded at
boot time. In this case, the error comes from BIOS as soon as systems POST
(Power On Self Test), even before memory check. The operating system
hasn't even begun to load. I strongly suspect it would work fine if I
could just get it to bypass the check. I have gone into the CMOS setup to
see if there were some option to bypass checks, but do not see one.

Old April 24th 04, 07:24 PM
Kevin Childers

Sounds like you've got the basic set-up right, but then there may be other
issues. Check the manufacturer's web site and see if perhaps there is an
upgraded install or driver set.

Old April 25th 04, 03:45 AM
Tom Betters

I am nearly sure this is a BIOS / CMOS issue rather than a driver issue. The
OS hasn't booted yet, so no drivers are loaded - I don't believe it can be
related to driver. That said, I do have the most current driver.

It appears to me, that the Presario BIOS itself actually makes some check to
see if network adapter was changed or not of a given type.

Old April 25th 04, 07:26 PM
Tweek

Why not get a new router? That would preserve your Compaq warranty... I have
the R3000 with a Netgear wireless g router and it's blazing fast.

Old April 28th 04, 07:53 AM
Tom Betters

I have 4 other wireless devices all running atheros based cards. I have
done quite a bit of testing and cannot find a faster wireless solution than
using an atheros based router (such as the dlink di-624) with clients also
using atheros. In my testing, it is faster and with better range than
Broadcom based routers/clients, and MUCH faster than mixed network chipsets.
The measured speed difference is very significant. I would not want to
give it up for the one compaq machine. (I never have liked Compaq. I
bought this one machine because I needed one laptop with a large widescreen,
and the price was good. Yet another reason to avoid them in future, unless
HP really changes things. Note that it was easy and stable to make this
same mini-pci card in Toshiba, Dell, and a no name "ABS" notebook. Just
compaq prevents it.) I've pretty much reconciled myself that this one
machine cannot be upgraded.

Old April 29th 04, 04:33 PM
Earl F. Parrish

[...]

Could you go into BIOS and deactivate the built-in wireless card?
Maybe the system will not support two wireless cards.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old April 30th 04, 03:34 PM
Tom Betters

Hi Earl -
I am trying to replace the "built in" card. (Its easy - like replacing
a memory chip basically). So disabling the support for built in wireless
would defeat the purpose. What I need to do is find a why for BIOS check
to be disabled, or at least not stop on error. There does not seem to be
any such option exposed in the BIOS. I bet there is some undocumented
backdoor to do this, but doesn't do me any good ... Oh well, looks like I
cannot upgrade this one.
Thanks for the response.

Old February 16th 05, 01:58 AM
kasala

Tom have you found an answer to this? If so I would be interested in
hearing it as I just ran into the same problem.

THanks,
Matt