Problem with SCSI Plextor and XP

Old June 8th 04, 10:42 AM
Stefan Walter

Default Problem with SCSI Plextor and XP

Hello,

I've got a SCSI Plextor 12/4/32, which works fine with Win98. But with
XP I get unreadable CD's. Nero 6.0.0.9 seems to burn ok, no error
messages, but when I try to read the CD, the drive gives up. Same with
other drives, on other computers (Win2K, Win98). CD is unreadable.
The same version of Nero works fine with Win98 on this computer (same
CD-RW medium, CD-R medium, same speed).
I turned off the XP burning function and updated the firmware of the
Plextor drive (with no effect). XP SP1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Stefan

Old June 8th 04, 09:16 PM
Mike Richter

Stefan Walter wrote:
Hello,

I've got a SCSI Plextor 12/4/32, which works fine with Win98. But with
XP I get unreadable CD's. Nero 6.0.0.9 seems to burn ok, no error
messages, but when I try to read the CD, the drive gives up. Same with
other drives, on other computers (Win2K, Win98). CD is unreadable.
The same version of Nero works fine with Win98 on this computer (same
CD-RW medium, CD-R medium, same speed).
I turned off the XP burning function and updated the firmware of the
Plextor drive (with no effect). XP SP1.

Any suggestions?

I have the same drive in XP - and no problems with Nero. It may be your
(unnamed) adapter; I'm using an Adaptec 2940 and did not turn off the
applet. One possibility is that you have installed a partial or
inconsistent ASPI layer - I use none at all.

The first step in analysis may be to check the quality of the disc as
written, but I think Dan's suggestion about the Nero version may be the
first order of business. I'm running 6.3.1.6.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old June 9th 04, 09:11 AM
Stefan Walter

Mike Richter wrote in message ...
Stefan Walter wrote:
[...]

I tried Nero 6.3.1.15 but achieved no effect. Interestingly, I can see
the track on the disk using Neros "Disk Info" feature. I can see it
also with ISO buster, but not with the explorer.
And after using the newer Version of Nero the behavior changed:
before, when accessing the disk via explorer the CDROM tried and tried
and did nothing after all. Now I get an error message, that the disk
might have an unsupported format.

The adapter is a Tekram DC315U. I will follow this path next.

Thanks for your help!

Stefan
Old June 15th 04, 09:55 PM
Stefan Walter

Stefan Walter wrote:
[...]

Another Update:
I tried a different SCSI host adapter (Adaptec AIC6360 ISA) - the
problem persists. I will try a different burning software next.

Stefan