Odd mobo? behaviour.......

Old June 13th 04, 01:51 AM
Dave C.

"Sleepyman" wrote in message
I posted the topic the way I did because I don't know if it is a mobo
problem, or it is something else. I just built my first (mostly) new
system. I got a used ASUS A7V8X mobo, and a new Ath XP2500+.
After a few false starts I am up and running at spec. My problem is
that I can't get the system to recognize my secondary IDE. The slot on
the mobo for the secondary to plug into, is right between the floppy,
and the primary, both of which work fine. When I first started up the
system I was running 98se. The CDROM and the Burner, which are on the
secondary IDE, are recognized on post. Then when Winblowz is running,
neither of the ROMs work, or are in the My Computer folder. It is kind
of a pain in the ass having to shut down, disconnect my secondary, and
hook up the CDROM to the slave primary IDE. I know the problem is not
the devices, or the cable, as I have tried many different setup combos
to eliminate those. Both IDEs are enabled in BIOS. So I buy Winblowz
XP Home to see if 98se is the problem, and alas same thing crops up.
Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Sleepy

How are your two CD drives jumpered? If one is Master and one is slave, be
aware that certain drives don't work well on the same IDE cable as certain
other drives. Thus, it's possible that CD-Rom and Burner on same cable
won't work. -Dave

Old June 13th 04, 01:55 AM
Andrew

check the jumper connections on the cdrom.
Set is according to the cable it is connected to,, master, slave, cable
connect.

Old June 13th 04, 02:14 PM
Sleepyman

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:55:11 -0400, "Andrew"
wrote:

check the jumper connections on the cdrom.
Set is according to the cable it is connected to,, master, slave, cable
connect.
"Sleepyman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Have checked, and double checked that.

Thanks,
Sleepy
Old June 13th 04, 02:21 PM
Sleepyman

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:51:45 -0400, "Dave C." wrote:

"Sleepyman" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I have tried connecting one at a time, and neither work on secondary
IDE. Tried one of the HDs on secondary IDE, and same result.
Recognized on post, but not working, and not available or listed in
"My Computer"

Thanks,
Sleepy
Old June 13th 04, 03:06 PM
Dave C.

I have tried connecting one at a time, and neither work on secondary
IDE. Tried one of the HDs on secondary IDE, and same result.
Recognized on post, but not working, and not available or listed in
"My Computer"

Thanks,
Sleepy

I'm afraid I'd have to conclude that the mainboard is bad. You can add a
controller card, but with so many good cheap mainboards available, it might
be better to go for a new mainboard. -Dave

Old June 13th 04, 10:11 PM
Sleepyman

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 10:06:41 -0400, "Dave C." wrote:

I have tried connecting one at a time, and neither work on secondary
IDE. Tried one of the HDs on secondary IDE, and same result.
Recognized on post, but not working, and not available or listed in
"My Computer"

Thanks,
Sleepy

I'm afraid I'd have to conclude that the mainboard is bad. You can add a
controller card, but with so many good cheap mainboards available, it might
be better to go for a new mainboard. -Dave

Thanks Dave, I am afraid you are correct. I thought of one more thing
though. I got the board without the install CD. Bios was up to date,
but I had to DL audio drivers, and VIA 4in1package. That was all I
could find to DL that seemed relevant. I wonder if I am missing
something vital, that would have been on the board's install CD. Of
course I could just be ****in' into the wind too.

Sleepy

Old June 16th 04, 10:37 PM
Sleepyman

Sure did. I tried a mind numbing number of combos. I had an Athlon
900mxz that would only work if both CD and burner were set as masters
believe it or not.

Thanks
Sleepy

PS I just bought a new KSI KTV-LSR. Unfortunately $$ was a major
consideration. Would have loved to get an ASUS A7N.

Thanks,
Sleepy

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:33:14 -0500, "noone" wrote:

Did you try a different cable?

.. .