Acer Aspire 5000 Notebook

Old December 26th 07, 01:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
oohgoboom

Default Acer Aspire 5000 Notebook

I've had this computer for almost 2 years now and my notebook has always
run DVDs. Lately however, it hasn't been, and I've even tried using the
same DVD I always used to watch. My mom bought me The Sims 2 PC Dvd-Rom
for Christmas and I want to play it but whenever I put it into the drive
it makes a tiny spinning sound but never boots up and when I try to open
it from My Computer, nothing shows up. I've also tried running it from
the Run command box but when I tried that, it said to "insert a cd into
the drive". It does however run CD-Roms without a problem still. Now I
ran Disk Clean up Last week and it deleted a whole bunch of things I
didn't tell it to and I'm wondering if the DVD driver was deleted as
well. What should I do to check if it's still there, and if it isn't
where can I get the driver(s) from? If you don't think that's the
problem other assistance would be good then because I'm at my wits end.

Old December 26th 07, 02:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Animenia[_5_]

First of all I don't see how a disc cleanup would cause something like
this.
However I have experienced some issues when it comes to some systems
(mainly dell inspiron systems) and Sims 2.

But in your case you can't watch DvD movies either, Right?

First of all locate your DvD Rom device in device manager. Is your DvD
Rom device listed?
Does it list any conflicts?

Boot to safe mode.
Enter a CD and open My Computer. Does it recognize the DvD you
inserted? Or does it just tell you to insert a cd?

Next step would be to try and upgrade the firmware.
Here's a link to your (european) model's driver list: 'Acer Europe -
Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads, Notebook, Aspire
5000' (http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers...k/as_5000.html)

Not quite sure which is the firmware for your DvD Device... If it is
not listed you always have the option of searching for it and you should
be able to find something.

Old December 27th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Tazz[_2_]

oohgoboom wrote:
[...]

You could remove the cd/dvd drive from the device manager, then reboot.
Windows will/should find the drive again and re-install the drivers.

You might need a XP disc or at least the I386 folder from a XP disc.

--
/TAZZ

acer aspire 5000 zack Acer Computers 0 October 16th 07 03:56 PM
Acer Aspire 5000 is making sound chinesemvp Acer Computers 0 August 28th 07 03:40 AM
Acer Aspire 5000 problem. Crimson Twilight Acer Computers 1 April 3rd 07 10:35 PM
Acer Aspire 5000 overheating c-cubed Acer Computers 1 February 18th 07 10:44 PM
acer aspire 5000 dd Acer Computers 1 October 26th 06 07:33 AM