A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Storage (alternative)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 14th 06, 10:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

Part number: ST3160023A-RK

Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4 years
on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I RMA'd one that
was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase. I've had over 10 HDD's.
This was working perfectly, AFAIK and suddenly a couple of days ago
Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive (Explorer). Disk Management shows it
online but unformatted. So, I suppose the partition table became
corrupted. Is this an automatic RMA? Can it be assumed that it's a
hardware issue? Is it possible for me to retrieve the data somehow? Or
is that an expensive and/or iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the
system, this was the most expendable in terms of the data. In that I was
extremely lucky. I used it mainly for backup and temporary work.

Thanks for any info.

Dan
  #2  
Old February 14th 06, 11:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

Dan_Musicant wrote:

Part number: ST3160023A-RK

Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4 years
on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I RMA'd one that
was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase. I've had over 10 HDD's.
This was working perfectly, AFAIK and suddenly a couple of days ago
Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive (Explorer). Disk Management shows it
online but unformatted. So, I suppose the partition table became
corrupted. Is this an automatic RMA? Can it be assumed that it's a
hardware issue? Is it possible for me to retrieve the data somehow? Or
is that an expensive and/or iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the
system, this was the most expendable in terms of the data. In that I was
extremely lucky. I used it mainly for backup and temporary work.

Thanks for any info.


There is a diagnostic utility on the Seagate site, download it, run it, and
see what it says--if it says your drive is dead then RMA it, otherwise try
to figure out if anything else is wrong, like a flaky power supply, before
you assume that the drive is bad.

If retrieving the data is an issue for you you need a better backup
strategy.

Dan


--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  #3  
Old February 15th 06, 01:28 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:13:29 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
:
: Part number: ST3160023A-RK
:
: Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4 years
: on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I RMA'd one that
: was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase. I've had over 10 HDD's.
: This was working perfectly, AFAIK and suddenly a couple of days ago
: Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive (Explorer). Disk Management shows it
: online but unformatted. So, I suppose the partition table became
: corrupted. Is this an automatic RMA? Can it be assumed that it's a
: hardware issue? Is it possible for me to retrieve the data somehow? Or
: is that an expensive and/or iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the
: system, this was the most expendable in terms of the data. In that I was
: extremely lucky. I used it mainly for backup and temporary work.
:
: Thanks for any info.
:
:There is a diagnostic utility on the Seagate site, download it, run it, and
:see what it says--if it says your drive is dead then RMA it, otherwise try
:to figure out if anything else is wrong, like a flaky power supply, before
:you assume that the drive is bad.
:
:If retrieving the data is an issue for you you need a better backup
:strategy.

I talked to two Seagate support guys this afternoon and they recommended
Seatools. I did run this a couple of days ago but interrupted the full
scan (over an hour). This time I run every test including the full test.
No errors were found.

I have no indication of other problems with the system, but maybe there
is something.

My backup strategy is pretty good and in fact, I think I lost very
little - just one HDTV show I recorded over a year ago and never
watched. Big deal. If it had been either of my other two HDDs, though, I
would have been well backed up, but I would certainly have lost some
information. If my boot drive, I would have had to install my 3
operating systems again. If my main data drive, I would have lost some
stuff, but 90+% of it is backed up on another HD.

If I'd lost more than one HD or all 3, I would have lost some data, but
most of the stuff that's really important to me would be backed up.

I'm formatting the drive as I type.

  #4  
Old February 15th 06, 02:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

It is NOT a hardware problem. It is NTFS corruption.
You didn't enable Win 2K large (137GB) drive support in the registry,
and NTFS wrote past 137G which wiped the MBR and boot sector.

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
...
Part number: ST3160023A-RK

Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4 years
on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I RMA'd one that
was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase. I've had over 10 HDD's.
This was working perfectly, AFAIK and suddenly a couple of days ago
Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive (Explorer). Disk Management shows it
online but unformatted. So, I suppose the partition table became
corrupted. Is this an automatic RMA? Can it be assumed that it's a
hardware issue? Is it possible for me to retrieve the data somehow? Or
is that an expensive and/or iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the
system, this was the most expendable in terms of the data. In that I was
extremely lucky. I used it mainly for backup and temporary work.

Thanks for any info.

Dan



  #5  
Old February 15th 06, 02:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

Dan_Musicant wrote
J. Clarke wrote
Dan_Musicant wrote


Part number: ST3160023A-RK


Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4
years on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I
RMA'd one that was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase.
I've had over 10 HDD's. This was working perfectly, AFAIK and
suddenly a couple of days ago Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive
(Explorer). Disk Management shows it online but unformatted. So, I
suppose the partition table became corrupted. Is this an automatic
RMA? Can it be assumed that it's a hardware issue? Is it possible
for me to retrieve the data somehow? Or is that an expensive and/or
iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the system, this was the most
expendable in terms of the data. In that I was extremely lucky. I
used it mainly for backup and temporary work.


There is a diagnostic utility on the Seagate site, download it, run
it, and see what it says--if it says your drive is dead then RMA it,
otherwise try to figure out if anything else is wrong, like a flaky
power supply, before you assume that the drive is bad.


If retrieving the data is an issue for you you need a better backup
strategy.


I talked to two Seagate support guys this afternoon and they
recommended Seatools. I did run this a couple of days ago but
interrupted the full scan (over an hour). This time I run every test
including the full test. No errors were found.


Then its unlikely to be the hard drive failing.
See what Everest says about the SMART data.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

I have no indication of other problems with
the system, but maybe there is something.


Something must have made it go unformatted.

Is it external or internal ?

My backup strategy is pretty good and in fact, I think I lost very
little - just one HDTV show I recorded over a year ago and never
watched. Big deal. If it had been either of my other two HDDs,
though, I would have been well backed up, but I would certainly have
lost some information. If my boot drive, I would have had to install
my 3 operating systems again. If my main data drive, I would have
lost some stuff, but 90+% of it is backed up on another HD.


If I'd lost more than one HD or all 3, I would have lost some data,
but most of the stuff that's really important to me would be backed up.


It should be all the data that you'll slash your
wrists if you lose, on CD or DVD at a minimum.

I'm formatting the drive as I type.



  #6  
Old February 15th 06, 06:04 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

Dan_Musicant wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:13:29 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
:
: Part number: ST3160023A-RK
:
: Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4
: years on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I RMA'd
: one that was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase. I've had over
: 10 HDD's. This was working perfectly, AFAIK and suddenly a couple of
: days ago Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive (Explorer). Disk Management
: shows it online but unformatted. So, I suppose the partition table
: became corrupted. Is this an automatic RMA? Can it be assumed that it's
: a hardware issue? Is it possible for me to retrieve the data somehow?
: Or is that an expensive and/or iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the
: system, this was the most expendable in terms of the data. In that I
: was extremely lucky. I used it mainly for backup and temporary work.
:
: Thanks for any info.
:
:There is a diagnostic utility on the Seagate site, download it, run it,
:and see what it says--if it says your drive is dead then RMA it,
therwise try to figure out if anything else is wrong, like a flaky power
:supply, before you assume that the drive is bad.
:
:If retrieving the data is an issue for you you need a better backup
:strategy.

I talked to two Seagate support guys this afternoon and they recommended
Seatools. I did run this a couple of days ago but interrupted the full
scan (over an hour). This time I run every test including the full test.
No errors were found.

I have no indication of other problems with the system, but maybe there
is something.


I've had drives go flaky on me due to intermittent low voltage coming out of
the power supply. Everything else seemed to be fine, but replacing the
power supply made the problems go away.


My backup strategy is pretty good and in fact, I think I lost very
little - just one HDTV show I recorded over a year ago and never
watched. Big deal. If it had been either of my other two HDDs, though, I
would have been well backed up, but I would certainly have lost some
information. If my boot drive, I would have had to install my 3
operating systems again. If my main data drive, I would have lost some
stuff, but 90+% of it is backed up on another HD.

If I'd lost more than one HD or all 3, I would have lost some data, but
most of the stuff that's really important to me would be backed up.

I'm formatting the drive as I type.


--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  #7  
Old February 15th 06, 07:54 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:53:13 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote
: J. Clarke wrote
: Dan_Musicant wrote
:
: Part number: ST3160023A-RK
:
: Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4
: years on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I
: RMA'd one that was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase.
: I've had over 10 HDD's. This was working perfectly, AFAIK and
: suddenly a couple of days ago Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive
: (Explorer). Disk Management shows it online but unformatted. So, I
: suppose the partition table became corrupted. Is this an automatic
: RMA? Can it be assumed that it's a hardware issue? Is it possible
: for me to retrieve the data somehow? Or is that an expensive and/or
: iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the system, this was the most
: expendable in terms of the data. In that I was extremely lucky. I
: used it mainly for backup and temporary work.
:
: There is a diagnostic utility on the Seagate site, download it, run
: it, and see what it says--if it says your drive is dead then RMA it,
: otherwise try to figure out if anything else is wrong, like a flaky
: power supply, before you assume that the drive is bad.
:
: If retrieving the data is an issue for you you need a better backup
: strategy.
:
: I talked to two Seagate support guys this afternoon and they
: recommended Seatools. I did run this a couple of days ago but
: interrupted the full scan (over an hour). This time I run every test
: including the full test. No errors were found.
:
:Then its unlikely to be the hard drive failing.
:See what Everest says about the SMART data.
:http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
:
: I have no indication of other problems with
: the system, but maybe there is something.
:
:Something must have made it go unformatted.
:
:Is it external or internal ?

Internal. Part number: ST3160023A-RK

I decided to go into Disk Management (win2000) and create logical
partitions, 2 of them, like before, formatting one to NTFS, the other to
FAT32 (so my Win98SE partition can see it). I formatted the NTFS and
then the FAT32, but when the FAT32 was finished formatting I got a
dialog saying "Volume size is too big" !! I tried it again, same thing.
I went into Windows Explorer and clicked the FAT32 volume and Windows
said it wasn't formatted and offered to format it. I said OK and after
it was done, a dialogue popped up saying "The disk in drive H cannot be
formatted."

I figure I can boot to a Win98SE floppy and try using fdisk to delete
all partition information and start from scratch but figure there's
something quite wrong with the drive and that I'm just wasting my time.
I figure I'll call Seagate and see what they say. I anticipate an RMA.
:
: My backup strategy is pretty good and in fact, I think I lost very
: little - just one HDTV show I recorded over a year ago and never
: watched. Big deal. If it had been either of my other two HDDs,
: though, I would have been well backed up, but I would certainly have
: lost some information. If my boot drive, I would have had to install
: my 3 operating systems again. If my main data drive, I would have
: lost some stuff, but 90+% of it is backed up on another HD.
:
: If I'd lost more than one HD or all 3, I would have lost some data,
: but most of the stuff that's really important to me would be backed up.
:
:It should be all the data that you'll slash your
:wrists if you lose, on CD or DVD at a minimum.

I always have that stuff backed up, and generally at least to a
different PC (in case a PSU blows up everything in the box), and I also
have offsite backup on DVD, which I do occasionally.
:
: I'm formatting the drive as I type.
:

  #8  
Old February 15th 06, 07:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:04:11 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

:I've had drives go flaky on me due to intermittent low voltage coming out of
:the power supply. Everything else seemed to be fine, but replacing the
ower supply made the problems go away.

This isn't a cheapo PSU, it's an Antec Tru430, and it's performed fine
AFAIK. That doesn't mean it isn't the culprit, but I figure otherwise.
Especially, due to the latest info - see the post I made 3 minutes ago
in this thread.

Dan
  #9  
Old February 15th 06, 07:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:18:29 -0800, "Eric Gisin"
wrote:

:It is NOT a hardware problem. It is NTFS corruption.
:You didn't enable Win 2K large (137GB) drive support in the registry,
:and NTFS wrote past 137G which wiped the MBR and boot sector.

I have another HD in the box that's 200 GB and it has one logical drive
only, and is formatted NTFS. That's obviously not the problem. Also, the
drive was working fine for 1.5 years and I made no changes. The logical
drives simply disappeared from it, evidently data corruption. I don't
know what kind of corruption it is, but it evidently is preventing the
drive from being properly reformatted -- see the post I made in this
thread 5-10 minutes ago.

Dan


:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: Part number: ST3160023A-RK
:
: Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4 years
: on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I RMA'd one that
: was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase. I've had over 10 HDD's.
: This was working perfectly, AFAIK and suddenly a couple of days ago
: Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive (Explorer). Disk Management shows it
: online but unformatted. So, I suppose the partition table became
: corrupted. Is this an automatic RMA? Can it be assumed that it's a
: hardware issue? Is it possible for me to retrieve the data somehow? Or
: is that an expensive and/or iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the
: system, this was the most expendable in terms of the data. In that I was
: extremely lucky. I used it mainly for backup and temporary work.
:
: Thanks for any info.
:
: Dan
:

  #10  
Old February 15th 06, 08:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:53:13 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

:Then its unlikely to be the hard drive failing.
:See what Everest says about the SMART data.
:http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

Everest report that SMART data for the drive is all OK.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HP color laser $299 includes jetdirect ethernet card - extra toners NEW $20, also hp 8500 $700 8550n $950 [email protected] Printers 2 November 12th 05 05:40 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 May 29th 05 07:18 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 2 May 8th 05 09:58 PM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Seagate Barracuda, and also other drive brand/types, noise when idle Halfgaar General 0 February 26th 04 06:56 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 HardwareBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.