How do I determine my softpaq?

Old April 2nd 05, 02:30 PM
daljaxon

Default How do I determine my softpaq?

Hi all,

I read quite a few posts here and still haven't found an answer that I
am searching for. So if this has been addressed, forgive me.

I am trying to find the softpaq for a starter pc for my aunt. The pc
has a 3gig hd, and I want to put a larger drive in, maybe 6 to 10
gig, dpending on bios.

How do I find the softpaq that pertains to this pc?

The PC.....

Compaq DP2000 6266MMX 3200/CDS DOM
running presently, winNT 4.0

I don't have the original os disk, but thought to put win 98 in it and
find the drivers I need from Compaq site.

The pc is running fine, but has small hd and full of programs it
doesnt need for my aunt. I am just going to make it a gaming pc for
her with only low grade games such as ms games that come with the os,
card games and other low resource games that she might be interested,
plus possibly word.

So I need the softpaq for the pc with win98se.

I looked on the Compaq page.....
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/

Went to the page with drivers and software that pertains to win98....
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...cate/4_72.html

But did not recognize what would be the softpaq.

I had seen on the bottom of page...
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/ ,

There is a link for softpaq files on FTP site, but I have no way of
determining which of these go with my pc.

Is there a page that list what number of softpaq I need for this pc?
Or am I not seeing the obvious?
Is it on the site for win98, mentioned above, and I just don't
recognize it?

Thanks for your help,
Daljaxon

Old April 2nd 05, 03:41 PM
Ben Myers

Because the computer is running reasonably (with Windows, I presume?), take a
precaution before changing/adding a hard drive and reinstalling Windows. Click
the System icon in Control Panel, click the Device Manager tab and then click
the + next to each class of device. This expands the entry and tells you more
about the hardware devices in the computer.

The important devices are the graphics controller, network card (if any), modem
(if any), hard disk controller, and possibly the USB devices. Write down what
these are, because the marvelous designers of Windows do not give you the option
of printing this information.

Next, you might be able to find device drivers in the HPaq Softpaq library. The
easiest way to do this is to search according to the exact model of the
computer.

However, DeskPros use the same generic (mostly Intel) chipsets as every other
decently designed computer from the same era. So you can always obtain chipset
drivers from the web site of the chipset manufacturer.

I will guess that 8.4GB is the limit that this system's BIOS imposes on hard
drive capacity.

You might also succeed in making the computer more usable by simply cleaning out
useless files. Examples: All the slop that accumulates in the %temp% folder.
Uninstalling programs no longer required via Control Panel. CAREFULLY removing
programs from the Program Files folder, but only the ones you know for sure are
not being used... Ben Myers

Old April 2nd 05, 06:55 PM
HH

To track the SoftPaqs first go he

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/welcome.html

Select Driver downloads, then type in DeskPro 2000 in the box, then select
the 6266MMX model from the list, then 6266MMX again (dunno why twice, but .
.. .), then whatever OS you are going to use.
HH

news:e30bb$424e9e59$455da0d2$19412@allthenewsgroup s.com...

Old April 3rd 05, 04:52 AM
daljaxon

Thank you for your advice. I will enter DevMan and find the info that
was mentioned to have as a reference. I am not going to erase the old
hd untill I have the replacement hd fully functioning. In my reading,
I believe the a 8.4 gig is all that this bios will recognize.

I can find the drivers listed for my pc, but I am trying to find the
softpaq the is for this model that will install the BIOS partition on
the hard drive. Is that listed in the page with the drivers and I am
not recognizing it as such? If I was to click on the link to the FTP
site at the bottom of the page of....
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/
How do I find the number that corresponds to my pc so that I can get
the softpaq for it? Or am I not understanding what the softpaq is?

Thanks,
Daljaxon

Old April 3rd 05, 04:52 AM
daljaxon

On the page.....
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...cate/4_72.html

Would one of the four entries under BIOS be the softpaq, and that I
did not understand this?

Daljaxon

Old April 3rd 05, 12:55 PM
HH

Yes, it will be the SoftPaq listed for Computer Setup. You may want to
install the diags SoftPaq at the same time.
HH

news:4d5c3$424f686b$455da0d2$13372@allthenewsgroup s.com...

Old April 4th 05, 05:28 AM
daljaxon