DVD Writer installation problems

Old May 25th 05, 10:41 PM
Andy Hoe

Default DVD Writer installation problems

Hello,
I recently installed a new DVD writer - LG GSA 4163B. When Windows
starts it comes up with the found new hardware wizard. I ask it to
install the software automatically but it comes back to say that a
driver could not be found and I have to cancel it. I then get the little
pop up saying that the hardware is not installed properly and might not
work. The thing is, the drive more or less works ok - I can burn DVDs
for example, the problem is every time I restart Windows I have to go
through the found new hardware wizard which is a pain. Also, when I put
a DVD or Audio CD in the drive, instead of launching the appropriate
application to run what's on the disc, the folder comes up to explore
the disc and I have to start the software manually. Additionally in the
device manager there is the yellow exclamation mark symbol next to the
drive.
The drive didn't come with any drivers and the manual says it doesn't
need any as it will install automatically.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Andy Hoe

Win XP pro SP2 + all updates
Abit AV8 motherboard
Old May 25th 05, 11:57 PM
Jan Alter

Hi,

First thing I'd try is going to the control panel then system folder then
device manager and removing the DVD drive from the system. Afterwards I'd
reboot and see if XP doesn't find the drive a little better. Next thing I'd
try is change the jumpering of the drive. If it's a slave right now I'd make
it a master and see if that changes anything. I'd even try it alone on a
cable to see if that might change anything. A few years ago I found that
some drives would be recognized if they were slaves but not as masters and
vice verse. I don't know if that's true anymore but it may be worth a shot.
Should that not work I'd download the latest firmware from the LG website
below and follow the directions to see if it can be upgraded to the latest.
Finally, if that doesn't change things I'd contact LG to see what they
recommend.

http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

Good luck,

--