bios updates

Old August 1st 04, 01:55 PM
Ken

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:31:58 GMT, "rstlne"
wrote:

Windows is not verry reliable..

? I used Windows NT4 for 3 years whithout any krasch or instability.

Old August 1st 04, 02:08 PM
rstlne

"{SFU}Xeon" wrote in message
beats me, did I say something sub standard to you? I think I have a pretty
decent system, as a matter of fact, every system I've built has never had
any technical problems..... Perhaps you're confused?

I would like for you to give me a link showing your 600mhz FSB setting being
accepted AND working..
And it took a bios update for you to get your PC3200 running @ 200fsb
(strange there also)..

But YES I would love to see your 600mhz fsb setting "WORKING"

Old August 1st 04, 03:37 PM
rstlne

wrote:

Windows is not verry reliable..

? I used Windows NT4 for 3 years whithout any krasch or instability.

I used Windows NT4 in a work environment and found that 3 of the pc's it was
on ran verry unstable (all dells).
Some of the other pc's were verry reliable..
ON TOP OF THAT, Configuration changes seem'd to stuff NT (at least for the
cards that we were using) and I have to wonder what flashing a bios would do
to NT4 or even todays XP..
I know it "Shouldnt" do anything, but I have no doubt that it's possible
that it'd **** something

Old August 3rd 04, 12:01 AM
T009

used Windows NT4 for 3 years whithout any krasch or instability.

You mean 'crash' dont you
Old August 4th 04, 12:20 PM
Andy Lee

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:19:51 GMT, "rstlne"
wrote:

"Arthur" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone trusting Windoze to a BIOS update is a real amateur or dumb.

What are the odds of a Windoze abend, blue screen, or worse as apposed
to KISS DOS? Asus is doing users a real disservice IMO promoting a
less secure and reliable BIOS update program for the sake of glitz,
laziness, and incompetent users who should not be updating a BIOS if
they can not deal with DOS..

That's Keep It Simple, Stupid in case you don't know.
arthur

Sadly that's the way the pc market has gone, It's for non-technial people

Why is it sad? does it mean that other people can play in your sandpit
now and you don't like it.
Old August 4th 04, 12:27 PM
Andy Lee

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:42:56 -0700, Arthur
wrote:

Anyone trusting Windoze to a BIOS update is a real amateur or dumb.

Yeah yeah yeah strange that in using the windows update tool for as
long as it's been out and I've been usunig ASUS boards I've never had
a problem with it. Mind you I've used plenty of DOS based flash
programs and never had a problem with those either.

I've also tried the ROM based flash progam and that worked as well
maybe I'm lucky but they all worked just fine for me.

What are the odds of a Windoze abend, blue screen, or worse as apposed
to KISS DOS? Asus is doing users a real disservice IMO promoting a
less secure and reliable BIOS update program for the sake of glitz,
laziness, and incompetent users who should not be updating a BIOS if
they can not deal with DOS..

What does having the ability to use DOS have to do with updating the
BIOs on a m/b how about all those Linux users they seem to manage ok
with out it. Maybe it's you who has a problem using Windows based
progams and can only manage simple DOS based programs.

That's Keep It Simple, Stupid in case you don't know.
arthur
-------------
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:06:22 GMT, "{SFU}Xeon" wrote:
I myself didn't have a problem updating the bios in my A7N8X-X mobo. I used
the windows based AsusUpdate, worked like a charm, and now, my bios will
accept upto 600mhz FSB, and my 1gb of Geil pc3200 ram runs at 200mhz 400
actual. Perhaps there are alot of amature's or wanna B's trying to flash
the bios ehy?

Old August 4th 04, 01:31 PM
rstlne

Sadly that's the way the pc market has gone, It's for non-technial people

Why is it sad? does it mean that other people can play in your sandpit
now and you don't like it.

No, It's cause everything becomes so "Simplified" for the Morons that if I
have a technical query then it will never get answerd as mindless drones
dont have anything other than answers for the morons..

It's like my ISP's Tech staff telling me that they dont have anything called
"DNS Servers"
Or asking asus "How many mA does the USB port provide" and getting asked
"What OS did you install"

But Hey, I have saved users THOUSANDS of Dollars (and now a few hundred £)
by simply doing things like Plugging in the Mouse/KB or even plugging the
power cable into the printer. But Hey, It's MY ****ing sandpit and I can
say what I like about it.

Old September 3rd 04, 01:39 AM
R. J. Sutherland

In " bios updates", Ken wrote:

? I used Windows NT4 for 3 years whithout any krasch or instability.

Yeah, me too. I might have stayed with it yet if had only been updated to
support USB. It was the last of its kind, written mainly by people who actually
knew what they were doing (ie. non-Microsofties). Stability has declined with
Win2k and XP as typical MS featureism, glitz and tweeness has taken over. sigh
(And I'll politely refrain from saying anything at all about Windows File
Protection...!)
Old September 3rd 04, 02:32 AM
P2B

R. J. Sutherland wrote:

In " bios updates", Ken wrote:

? I used Windows NT4 for 3 years whithout any krasch or instability.

Yeah, me too. I might have stayed with it yet if had only been updated to
support USB. It was the last of its kind, written mainly by people who actually
knew what they were doing (ie. non-Microsofties). Stability has declined with
Win2k and XP as typical MS featureism, glitz and tweeness has taken over. sigh
(And I'll politely refrain from saying anything at all about Windows File
Protection...!)

I was almost ready to give up on NT4 for the same reason, then I found a
USB driver on Dell's FTP site - it doesn't support all devices, but does
the job for me.

However, I'll have to bite the bullet soon - IIRC M$ plan to cease
releasing security patches for NT4 early next year. I'm not looking
forward to the migration as I've been running XP Pro on my test machine
(identical hardware to my main system) and stability has not been it's
strong suit...

P2B