Pentium 4 2.4 temperatures

Old August 26th 03, 09:20 PM
Lou Pratt

Default Pentium 4 2.4 temperatures

What are the "normal" operating temps for a P4 2.4ghz? I built a system
using an MSI 845 mb with the P4 and I'm getting readings in the bios of
50-54c with the case temperature at 35c. I've done some searching but the
results are mixed. Some say it's too high and others say it isn't. I
checked Intel's site and they only give ideal case temps which I'm a little
below. Is there a site or sites that deals with this issue specifically?

Thanks
Old August 26th 03, 09:24 PM
Richard Dower

"Lou Pratt" wrote in message
What are the "normal" operating temps for a P4 2.4ghz? I built a system
using an MSI 845 mb with the P4 and I'm getting readings in the bios of
50-54c with the case temperature at 35c. I've done some searching but the
results are mixed. Some say it's too high and others say it isn't. I
checked Intel's site and they only give ideal case temps which I'm a

little
below. Is there a site or sites that deals with this issue specifically?

Thanks

With a 2.53GHz chip o/c to 2.85GHz i get idle temps starting at 42C and
never going above 46C.

Old August 26th 03, 11:50 PM
Robert

In message , Lou Pratt
writes
What are the "normal" operating temps for a P4 2.4ghz? I built a system
using an MSI 845 mb with the P4 and I'm getting readings in the bios of
50-54c with the case temperature at 35c. I've done some searching but the
results are mixed. Some say it's too high and others say it isn't. I
checked Intel's site and they only give ideal case temps which I'm a little
below. Is there a site or sites that deals with this issue specifically?

What is your ambient temperature? With the standard Intel HSF on a P4
2.4 I was getting 39C CPU, 28C MB and 35C HDD in a Sonata case with one
120mm exhaust fan and no intake fan, at an ambient of 21C. These
readings were taken after the kit had been running for 1 hour (not
gaming - just number crunching).
--
Robert
Old August 27th 03, 12:53 AM
Lou Pratt

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:50:35 +0100, Robert wrote:

In message , Lou Pratt
writes
What are the "normal" operating temps for a P4 2.4ghz? I built a system
using an MSI 845 mb with the P4 and I'm getting readings in the bios of
50-54c with the case temperature at 35c. I've done some searching but the
results are mixed. Some say it's too high and others say it isn't. I
checked Intel's site and they only give ideal case temps which I'm a little
below. Is there a site or sites that deals with this issue specifically?

What is your ambient temperature? With the standard Intel HSF on a P4
2.4 I was getting 39C CPU, 28C MB and 35C HDD in a Sonata case with one
120mm exhaust fan and no intake fan, at an ambient of 21C. These
readings were taken after the kit had been running for 1 hour (not
gaming - just number crunching).

That may be one of the problems. The room temp is 25c. I turned on the ac
and it dropped my cpu temp to 47c. The room is south facing and does get
warm. The MB reads 35c. I removed the Intel heat pad and used Arctic Silver
and got identical readings. I've been using an Athlon system and I know
they run hotter than Pentiums. After I posted my message I found an article
on the AMD web site saying a power supply with a front intake (which is
what I have) sucks in the cool air before it passes over the CPU. Better is
the intake at the bottom of the power supply just above the CPU as it
allows the cool air to pass over it before it is exausted. Worth a try.
Old August 27th 03, 04:55 AM
Jim & Nancy Guerino

2.4 GHz HT @ 2.4 Ghz
w/ Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu
Arctic Silver 3
on ASUS P4P800Dlx
as reported by BIOS / MotherBoard Monitor

My observation has been that CPU Temperatures reported by the BIOS are
typically higher than those reported by an application hosted by an
operating system.

Temperatures recorded post build and during customizations over period
of about a week each.
High temps (CPU 39.5C & Motherboard 40C) were after SANDRA Burn test.

Example one: (as reported by BIOS / MotherBoard Monitor)
Temps: CPU 36C & Motherboard 35C case open
Temps: CPU 39.5C & Motherboard 40C case open (Ambient temp 28C)
Temps: CPU 36C & Motherboard 38C case open (Ambient temp 25C)
Temps: CPU 34.5C & Motherboard 37C case open (Ambient temp 76F)
Temps: CPU 37.5C & Motherboard 37C case closed w/out side fan (Ambient
temp 77F)
Temps: CPU 31C & Motherboard 36C case closed w/out side fan (Ambient
temp 77F)
Temps: CPU 31C & Motherboard 36C case closed w/out side fan (Ambient
temp 78F)
Temps: CPU 27C & Motherboard 34C case open (Ambient temp 74F)
Temps: CPU 30C & Motherboard 34C case closed w/ side fan blocked
(Ambient temp 73F)

Example two: (all temps from MBM)
Temps: CPU 31C & Motherboard 33C case open (Ambient temp 73F)
Temps: CPU 32C & Motherboard 34C case open (Ambient temp 75F)
Temps: CPU 32C & Motherboard 35C case open (Ambient temp 73F)
Temps: CPU 30C & Motherboard 35C case closed (Ambient temp 79F)
Temps: CPU 31C & Motherboard 35C case closed (Ambient temp 79F)
Temps: CPU 31C & Motherboard 35C case closed (Ambient temp 78F)
Temps: CPU 32C & Motherboard 36C case closed (Ambient temp 78F)
Temps: CPU 31C & Motherboard 35C case closed (Ambient temp 78F)

Hope this helps.

Jim

"Lou Pratt" wrote in message
What are the "normal" operating temps for a P4 2.4 GHz? I built a

system
snip

Old August 28th 03, 03:55 AM
Stacey

Lou Pratt wrote:

After I posted my message I found an
article on the AMD web site saying a power supply with a front intake
(which is what I have) sucks in the cool air before it passes over the
CPU. Better is the intake at the bottom of the power supply just above the
CPU as it allows the cool air to pass over it before it is exausted. Worth
a try.

Yep this does make a difference. I've learned to always check a power suppy
for this.
--

Stacey
Old August 29th 03, 01:17 AM
Strontium

If you have good air flow, you should have no problem achieving Jim's temps.
I'm getting same temps, as him for CPU, while all of my case fans are
throttled down to 5V for noise reasons. However, my case temps are about 5C
cooler BIOS reports my case at 30C. Intel active monitor reports same.
For my processor, BIOS reports 38C. Intel monitor reports 31-33C. Keep in
mind that XP uses throttling, when the processor is idle, giving lower temps
when Winblows is loaded. When I run games, I just crank all the fans back
up to 12V. You need to take your case and it's air flow, into account. The
Zalman Al-Cu 7000 is a very nice hs/f. Very quiet, to boot.

-
Lou Pratt stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:55:08 -0500, Jim & Nancy Guerino wrote:

Thanks for the info. I replaced the power supply with one which has
an exhaust fan at the bottom placing it just above the cpu. That alone
decreased the temp by 3c. I also reserched the Zalman CNPS7000-AlCu
and will order one soon. Hopefully that will get it down another 4c
or 5c and maybe more. I probably won't see temps as low as yours but
even in the vicinity will be ok.

Lou

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit