Barton 2800+ Overclock Question

Old August 6th 03, 06:49 PM
Ben Pope

Default Barton 2800+ Overclock Question

Mark Weatherill wrote:
I've just upgraded to a Barton 2800+ processor and I've been messing
around with overclocking it.

System specs are as follows:

A7N8X Deluxe v 2 @ 1005 BIOS
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton Core (Default @ 166x12.5 with standard
volts) Global Win Copper H/S
Asus 8200 (GeForce 3 Ti 200) - Soon to be a Leadtek GeForce FX 5600
Ultra 2 x PC3200 6-3-3-2.5 Geil memory with heatspreaders
2 x IBM 40 GB 7200 IDE hard drives, with drive coolers
1 x Pioneer A104(?) DVD Writer
1 x Pioneer A04 (?) DVD-ROM
4 x 80mm fans (2 pulling in front, 2 pushing out)

My first attempt ended in me running it at 200FSB x 10.5 multiplier
(2.1MHz)

Presumably you were running memory in synch? And the AGP bus was fixed to
66MHz?

Those settings would probably be my first attempt at an overclock. Did you
make sure you relaxed the memory timings appropriately?

This ran Prime95 for 1 hour without any problems, so I thought, yeah
seems stable, core temperatures under load were around 44c, board
temps around 28c.

Sounds ok.

I loaded up GTA 3 and played it for about 5 minutes and the whole
thing hung for about 30 seconds, but then came back and everything
seemed fine, but as I contined playing I would get white noise spikes
and the display looked like it was showing a blank frame every so
often - but it never hung again.

Odd sympton. Unlikely to be memory errors as they have a tendancy to BSOD
if you're lucky or lock the machine otherwise.

Make sure your memory timings are correct (Set them manually - memory
frequency to 100% and the latencies to 2.5, 3, 3 and 6) and that you haven't
overclocked the other system buses.

It's unlikely you'd require additional core voltage to get 2.1GHz, although
you may want to check what the actual voltages appear to be by using MBM5 or
Bios screen.

Ben

Old August 6th 03, 09:01 PM
Ed

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:37:45 +0100, "Mark Weatherill"
wrote:

[...]

My missus wanted to use the machine, so I put it back to stock and haven't
tried again.

Are these problems likely to be a result of the overclock without enough CPU
volts, or are they showing a weak link in my graphics card?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks Mark

Is the memory running in sync (100%) with FSB?

I would try something like this for starters..
ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES
=========================
CPU External Freq. MHz [200]
CPU Frequency Multiple Setting [Menu]
CPU Frequency Multiple [10.5x]
System Performance [User Defined]
CPU Interface [Agressive] or [Optimal]
Memory Frequency [100%]
Memory Timings [User Defined]
SDRAM Active PreCharge Delay = 6
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay = 3
SDRAM RAS PreCharge Delay = 3
SDRAM CAS Latency = 2.5
FSB Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
AGP Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
CPU Vcore Setting [Menu]
CPU Vcore [1.65V]
Graphics Aperture Size [128MB]
AGP Frequency [Auto]
System BIOS Cacheable [Disabled]
Video RAM Cacheable [Disabled]
DDR Reference Voltage [2.6V]
AGP VDDQ Voltage [1.5]
AGP 8x Support [Disabled]
AGP Fast Write Capability [Disabled] or [Enabled]

Ed
Barton 2800+ (207x11.5/1.8v)

Old August 7th 03, 01:11 PM
Mark Weatherill

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will give them a go.

One thing, Ed, I noticed that you running an o/c 2800+ and I assume from
your BIOS settings above that you're running an A7N8X-Deluxe.

What cooling are you running and is your system stable at these speeds?

Mark

Old August 8th 03, 08:21 AM
Roger Squires

Try raising the AGP voltage a notch or two.

rms