Inspiron 6000 as desktop replacement?

Old August 9th 05, 10:53 PM
S.Lewis

Default Inspiron 6000 as desktop replacement?

"PL" wrote in message
news:1123615775.2e04b643a6e2897549e6af60da909005@t eranews...
Hi all,

I've been looking for a medium priced laptop which I will be using for
around 7-8 hours daily and won't be moved around too much (around once a
week). I found the I6000 to be well suited price wise and would like to
know your views regarding this model, especially its heat management
when used for 5+ hours straight.

Is there any other similar-priced laptop I should also consider?

Cheers,

PL

With a 15.4" display, that will be a fairly heavy system and certainly what
they'd call a desktop replacement.

I6K review/specs:

Anyone know if the Latitude D810 is the sister-system to the I6K? More
expensive, less video memory probably, but better default warranty I'd
guess:

Stew

Old August 10th 05, 01:13 AM
Patrick L. Parks

S.Lewis wrote:
"PL" wrote in message
[...]

I do strongly recommend the Latitude notebooks. They are the business
class laptop and are designed for heavy use. I've had one for years at
my job (C600) that performed great. I just got a new D610 and thus far
love the machine.

I run these machines for 8 hrs plus each day.
Old August 10th 05, 05:34 AM
Parasites Lost

Patrick L. Parks wrote:
I do strongly recommend the Latitude notebooks. They are the business
class laptop and are designed for heavy use. I've had one for years at
my job (C600) that performed great. I just got a new D610 and thus far
love the machine.

I run these machines for 8 hrs plus each day.

The Latitudes do seem more strongly built, however, they come with "3Y
NBD (Next Business Day On-site ) Service" warranty by default and there
is no way of changing it to the base 1Y warranty which would cut down
the cost by at least $200. I'm on a limited budget.
Old August 10th 05, 11:18 AM
Matt Wiggins

I agree, the Latitudes are built better. The Inspirons have gotten really
cheap in build over the past few years. (ex. the cheezy colored palm rests)
"Parasites Lost" wrote in message
news:1123648451.fb6b25020b2d0dddc9672a81df230bfc@t eranews...

Old August 10th 05, 06:06 PM
Matt Wiggins

No, I simply said the colored palm rests are cheesy. I've owned two

Old August 10th 05, 07:18 PM
MSCHAEF.COM

In article 1123615775.2e04b643a6e2897549e6af60da909005@teran ews,
PL wrote:
Hi all,

I've been looking for a medium priced laptop which I will be using for
around 7-8 hours daily and won't be moved around too much (around once a
week). I found the I6000 to be well suited price wise and would like to
know your views regarding this model,

This site is a little Linux specific but it contains excellent
detail on the Inspiron 6000 series machines:

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc/insp6000/

It was this site that convinced me to buy my I6000.

especially its heat management when used for 5+ hours straight.

I wouldn't be too worried about heat management. Most of the time, these
machines run at low CPU utilization and don't have to dissipate much heat.
Also, the times I've run the machine at 100% utilization for hours on end
(performance testing some software I've written), there don't seem to have
been any problems.

A few more random thoughs:

- The keyboard is quite nice, but the trackpad buttons are a little
noisy. The media buttons on the front of the machine are absolutely
wonderful.

- Get the WUXGA display.

- The case isn't a solid as a Latitude (or Thinkpad/Compaq nc6xxx/other
professional laptop), but it's not bad.

- If you're really going to be sitting at the machine for hours on
end you should consider a seperate display. Staring down at a laptop
for long periods of time can be hard on your posture.

- It's not a 'thin and light' laptop. You'll have compromises to make
in both dimensions. In particular, be sure that if you have a bag
you want to use that the laptop fits.

-Mike
--
http://www.mschaef.com
Old August 10th 05, 08:21 PM
Tom Scales

Actually, you quoted yourself and you DID say the colored palm rests were
the REASON they were cheap (see your ex. below).

I didn't think you meant it, but that is what you said.

My only experience is my Inspiron 9300 which is a rock.

Tom

Old August 10th 05, 08:21 PM

"Matt Wiggins" wrote:

The Inspirons have gotten really
cheap in build over the past few years.

is this true of the 700m as well?

If yes....is there a Latitude equivalent of the 700m?

John