Going from ME to XP

Old August 4th 04, 10:49 PM
Bill

Default Going from ME to XP

Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
from ME to XP.
Old August 4th 04, 11:13 PM
S.Lewis

"Bill" wrote in message
Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
from ME to XP.

With regard to specifically what? Saving your old data/files? Difficulty or
"how-to" of installation? Specific concerns about installation?

Old August 5th 04, 02:45 AM
Bob Levine

Bill wrote:

Looking from solid advice on the best way to change the OS on my 8100
from ME to XP.

Back up all of your data and do a clean install. NEVER upgrade an
operating system.

Bob

Old August 5th 04, 02:51 AM
CurlyQ

buy a new drive and use it to install XP pro from scratch. use the ME to
dual boot if you have stuff that won't work with XP.

Old August 5th 04, 05:02 AM
Tom Scales

That's excellent advice. I don't know if you mean Inspiron 8100 or
Dimension 8100, but XP runs flawlessly on our Dimension 8100

Old August 5th 04, 01:38 PM
Andrew Carter

Have a look at this......

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._9xupgrade.asp

Old August 5th 04, 01:53 PM
Tom Scales

Hmm. Recommending a four year old operating system that has, at its core,
the exact same code as the current, and supported, operating system.

Nope. Don't agree.

Have you run both on an 8100?

I have. XP is significantly better. Faster. More peripherals. The list
goes on and on.

Tom
"Tony" wrote in message
XP's a pig, better to go to 2000.

Old August 5th 04, 02:02 PM
Bob Levine

Andrew Carter wrote:

Have a look at this......

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._9xupgrade.asp

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But I'm sticking with mine. NEVER
upgrade and operating system.

Bob

Old August 5th 04, 02:47 PM
Ben Myers

No matter which Windows operating system upgrade one is attempting, it is best
to do thorough research first, so there are no surprises. The history of
Micro$oft's (non-)support of chips, cards, and devices over the evolution of
Windows bears this out. Make note of each and every driver, chipset, and
peripheral device in the system. Then go to the manufacturers' web site and
verify that XP (in this case) drivers exist, either on the XPee CD or as a
download. If you need to download the drivers, do so BEFORE installing XPee,
burn the drivers onto a CD. Have the CD with drivers handy when installing the
operating system. Once the basic operating system is installed, install the
drivers from the CD you have burned. Start with the motherboard chipset
drivers. Then do video, sound, and network drivers as required. Finally,
install printer, scanner and any other drivers.

You may find yourself with chips, cards, or devices which are "software
obsolete" because there are no XPee drivers for them. If so, you have the
choice of replacing the item or simply not installing XPee at all. Most often,
a piece of hardware is software obsolete because the manufacturer has gone belly
up or dropped XPee support for the device. Cirrus Logic video chips are not
supported by XPee because the manufacturer no longer is in the video chip
business. Avance Logic video chips are not supported by XPee, because Avance
Logic is no more. Older HP scanners are often not supported by XPee because HP
would rather that you buy a new el cheapo HP scanner. And so on.

I cannot advocate an install of XPee on top of an existing Windows software
installation. Micro$oft has crippled ALL of its Windows software installers so
that you end up with essentially a black-and-white choice regarding the
registry. You can either use the ENTIRE existing registry with all its warts
and zits or use NONE of the existing registry. Because the registry is one of
the contenders for the title of worst software implementation inside Windows,
any defects in the previous Windows ME registry get copied over into the new
registry. If the old registry is screwed up in any way, the new XPee registry
will contain the same screwups. In other words, Micro$oft does not really want
you to upgrade operating systems. No do the manufacturers of computers and
peripherals. They want you to throw it all away and buy brand new... Ben Myers