Video Card Upgrade Problem

Old August 6th 04, 06:05 AM
K2NNJ

Default Video Card Upgrade Problem

Hi:

I have a Dim8200 P4 1.9GHz 512MB RDRAM 80G HDD. I am trying to upgrade from
a nVidia GeForce3 Ti200 to a Chaintech FX5700 256MB.

For some unknown reason the PC keeps "crashing". It will just auto reboot.
I am also quite certain it was causing IE6 to crash as well. I have the old
card back in and have no problems at all.

I have been told the power supply is underrated. The card requires a min of
250W. So I am at a loss of why it keeps rebooting. The last time I stopped
it from rebooting and got a BSOD w/ the error "PAGE _FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
whatever that means.

Is there a fix for this? The Dell Forums have been no help.

Thanks,
RD

Old August 6th 04, 06:41 AM
Mistoffolees

K2NNJ wrote:
Hi:

I have a Dim8200 P4 1.9GHz 512MB RDRAM 80G HDD. I am trying to upgrade from
a nVidia GeForce3 Ti200 to a Chaintech FX5700 256MB.

For some unknown reason the PC keeps "crashing". It will just auto reboot.
I am also quite certain it was causing IE6 to crash as well. I have the old
card back in and have no problems at all.

I have been told the power supply is underrated. The card requires a min of
250W. So I am at a loss of why it keeps rebooting. The last time I stopped
it from rebooting and got a BSOD w/ the error "PAGE _FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
whatever that means.

Is there a fix for this? The Dell Forums have been no help.

Device drivers are pretty much specific for the peripherals
they control. Changing video cards would require installing
the video drivers for the new video card. This is what the
Stop Error is indicating. Start the computer in Safe Mode
and install the driver files for the new video card. Next,
select the resolution. Computer should start up normally
unless the driver files and/or the new video card are not
compatible with the operating system.

Old August 6th 04, 12:20 PM
Ben Myers

It is possible that all the memory on the Chaintech is causing the entire system
to exceed the capacity of the power supply. It is possible that overheating of
some component is the culprit. The new video card generates more heat, and all
that heat has to be ventilated someplace for the system to run reliably. And,
of course, the Chaintech card itself may be defective. How to isolate the cause
of instability? Good question. And potentially an expensive and time-consuming
question to answer... Ben Myers

Old August 6th 04, 07:05 PM
K2NNJ

I saw that thanks. Kind of vague though.

I guess i'll have to grit my teeth and call Chaintech.

Thanks

"WSZsr" wrote in message
. ..
http://tinyurl.com/3a6xv

Old August 7th 04, 01:21 PM
Carmine Castiglia

"K2NNJ" wrote in message
[...]

Swapping video cards is one of the most failure-prone things you can do to a
PC. Updating video drivers is the second-most failure prone thing you can
do.

If you are not through this already, boot the computer in Safe Mode (hold
the Ctrl key down immediately after the computer beeps the first time after
power on and wait for the boot menu to appear). Once Windows has loaded, go
to Control Panel Add/Remove Programs, look for anything that is related to
your old video card, and remove it. Next, Control Panel System Hardware
tab Device Manager button. Expand the "Display Adapters" tree and delete
anything you dind listed there.

Reboot the computer and try installing your drivers again.

Carmine Castiglia
Great deals on Dell's at http://www.infosystemspro.com/savenow.htm

Re Video card problem oldgrey General 0 January 15th 05 05:08 PM
Hardcore gamer is little upset. Ryan Atici Asus Motherboards 16 December 26th 04 03:26 AM
Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card Andy Kuo Ati Videocards 1 November 5th 04 03:10 AM
Video card problem BalloonKnot General 0 April 4th 04 09:43 PM
Presario 5900z - trying to upgrade video card Verax Compaq Computers 0 July 27th 03 07:45 PM