TV sound not working

Old February 20th 12, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

Default TV sound not working

I have looked at the owner's value with no luck.

I can't get the internal speakers of my TV working again.

The sound works fine coming out of the home theater speakers.

Thanks,
Andy
Old February 20th 12, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Mint wrote:
I have looked at the owner's value with no luck.

I can't get the internal speakers of my TV working again.

The sound works fine coming out of the home theater speakers.

Thanks,
Andy

You can send sound over an HDMI cable, so the speakers in a TV
or monitor can work.

To make that happen, you check the Sound control panel, which
can have multiple output options. You tell the system to drive
the sound over the HDMI cable, instead of over the analog wires
to your amplified computer speakers.

In this example, the current selection is pumping sound
over the HDMI cable. Note the "Playback" tab near the top.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c02037388.gif

Paul
Old February 20th 12, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

On Feb 20, 12:30*pm, Paul wrote:
Mint wrote:
I have looked at the owner's value with no luck.

I can't get the internal speakers of my TV working again.

The sound works fine coming out of the home theater speakers.

Thanks,
* * * * * * * *Andy

You can send sound over an HDMI cable, so the speakers in a TV
or monitor can work.

To make that happen, you check the Sound control panel, which
can have multiple output options. You tell the system to drive
the sound over the HDMI cable, instead of over the analog wires
to your amplified computer speakers.

In this example, the current selection is pumping sound
over the HDMI cable. Note the "Playback" tab near the top.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA.../c02037388.gif

* * Paul

I don't have an HDMI cable attached and it has worked without it.

I think I have some cables not attached right.

In the old days there was just a cable input and some video and audio
outputs.

:-)

Andy
Old February 24th 12, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

On Feb 20, 4:06*pm, Mint wrote:
On Feb 20, 12:30*pm, Paul wrote:

Mint wrote:
[...]

Here are some pics. It's messy. :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55072458@N08/6923992059/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55072458@N08/6923992053/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55072458@N08/6923992047/
Old February 24th 12, 05:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Mint wrote:
On Feb 20, 4:06 pm, Mint wrote:
On Feb 20, 12:30 pm, Paul wrote:

Mint wrote:
[...]

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4854/collage2lu.jpg

I'm guessing the Home Theatre has three columns of White&Red
Cinch, for three stereo audio inputs.

Presumably the Home Theatre, either has a mixer to select one
of three channels, or mixes all three and you have controls for
the levels from each column of audio input ?

*******

OK, now the summary. I see two analog video signals entering
the TV set. The TV cannot "extract" audio from those channels.
One analog video signal is SVideo (luma,chroma,4pinDIN). The other
is YPbPr (as devices hardly ever use RGB). If the TV is tuned to a
broadcast channel somehow, at that time, an audio signal could
appear on the "Audio Output" White&Red wires. If the TV is
not using its own tuner, then I don't see a reason for any
audio on the White&Red.

The Cable Box doesn't seem to violate any rules. SVideo (black
mini-DIN cable) goes to TV set (no audio on that cable). Red&Black
audio pair head off to home theatre audio input.

What I can't figure out, is what the Home Theatre is putting on
the YPbPr three wires. Is that an output or an input ?

It is possible, by plugging in the White&Red wires to the
Audio Output of the TV set, that caused the TV set to mute
its output. But it is just as likely, you're not using the
TV set tuner, and so the TV has no reason to drive the
audio output wires.

The I/O on these things, should work in sets. Usually, they
encircle a set of connectors, to show they're related. On
your TV inputs, you'd have Composite (Yellow) + Audio (White/Red).
Or, you could have SVideo (din4pin) + Audio (White/Red).
Or, you could have YPbPr (3coax) + Audio (White/Red).
HDMI is integrated video and audio, so needs no audio to go
with it, but as an option, the TV should also support "listening"
to an analog audio input while at the same time getting video
over the HDMI. Sometimes, HDMI output devices, are too old and
dumb to include audio, and then need the services of analog stereo
audio (or better).

The TV can play the sound it receives, over its own speakers,
or drive the "audio output" pair with what it receives via
its own tuner, or what it is getting over HDMI on the audio
channel.

It would be easier to verify these things, using the model
numbers of each unit.

Paul
Old February 24th 12, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

On Feb 23, 11:40*pm, Paul wrote:
Mint wrote:
On Feb 20, 4:06 pm, Mint wrote:
On Feb 20, 12:30 pm, Paul wrote:

Mint wrote:
[...]

Thanks.

I got the problem fixed.

I had to disconnect the audio out cables from the TV and rescan the AV
inputs.

I removed those cables completely. :-)

Andy