Source of vibration

Old February 18th 12, 12:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Default Source of vibration

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 04:56:24 -0800 (PST), Mint
wrote:

I am trying to find out the source of some vibration from my computer.

It usually eventually goes away but not b4 my blood pressure has
spiked. :-)

It's not coming from the hard drives.

Thanks,
Andy

I haven't seen mentioned the fan on a video card..... That was my
problem.
Old February 18th 12, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

I just had/have much the same thing. The 'buzz' would go on for some
minutes, then fade away. I opened the side panel on my Gigabyte Aurora
3D case and started touching stuff to try and find the buzz. It was in
the front of the case, I'm pretty sure. I wanted to unplug the 3 case
fans but plug is buried under some USB connectors at rear of
motherboard. I did unplug the big 500G secondary hard drive - no help.
The CPU fan and video fan definitely not it. Power supply? unknown.
My biggest suspect, the front case fan is pretty unaccessible, I'd
never had the front panel off. Looked like it was just plastic clips,
but he damn thing RESISTED. Eventually I loosened up the various
drives that stick their little faces out thru the front panel, that
finally got the thing to come loose all the way. I still didn't take
it all the way off. I researched some 120mm fans at NewEgg.

And, after all that fussing, the turn-on buzz has disappeared, at
least for now. But at least I now know I CAN get that damn panel off
if I want to.

Old February 18th 12, 04:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

On Feb 17, 7:53*pm, Loren Pechtel wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 14:24:22 -0800 (PST), Mint

wrote:
The screw are tightened correctly.

I put my finger lightly on the CPU fan and there was no change in
noise level.

I'll just play some disco music and drown out the noise. :-)

Andy

I've never seen the CPU fan cause vibration. *I would be looking at
case fans.

I believe I replaced the CPU fan from a box of salvaged items.

I think the newer fan is too fast, thus the vibration.

Andy
Old February 18th 12, 04:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

wrote:
I am trying to find out the source of some vibration from my computer.

It usually eventually goes away but not b4 my blood pressure has
spiked. :-)

It's not coming from the hard drives.

Thanks,
* * * * * * *Andy

I haven't seen mentioned the fan on a video card..... That was my
problem.

I put my finger on that fan like the others.

Andy
Old February 18th 12, 07:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

wrote:
The screw are tightened correctly.

I put my finger lightly on the CPU fan and there was no change in
noise level.

I'll just play some disco music and drown out the noise. :-)

Andy

I've never seen the CPU fan cause vibration. I would be looking at
case fans.

I believe I replaced the CPU fan from a box of salvaged items.

I think the newer fan is too fast, thus the vibration.

Andy

Is the newer fan a 2-, 3-, or 4-wire fan? If it's anything other than a
2-wire, it should be able to be controlled, either manually through a
program like SpeedFan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php , or
automatically by the MB.
--
SC Tom

Old February 18th 12, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:14:48 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

"Loren Pechtel" wrote in message ...
I've never seen the CPU fan cause vibration. I would be looking at
case fans.

I have. My SO had an eMachine years ago that would give her fits about every 6-7 months because the case would start
"buzzing." You could hear it and feel it in the case. My first thought was the rear case fan (nope, not it), and then
the PS fan (nope, not it either). Turned out it was the CPU fan. It was an old Pentium II with one of those tiny Radio
Shack POS fans, and the bushings would wear out regularly. At the time, it was all she needed in the way of a PC, and it
was a heck of a lot cheaper to buy new fans ($4 or $5 at the time) than it was to buy her a new PC.

Understandable for an eMachine. I've only dealt with one of those. We
normally had decent equipment.
Old February 18th 12, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 09:37:45 -0500, John B. Smith
wrote:

[...]

I've seen some cases like that, a total pain to get at the fans in the
front.
Old February 18th 12, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:39:26 -0800, Loren Pechtel
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:14:48 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

"Loren Pechtel" wrote in message ...
I've never seen the CPU fan cause vibration. I would be looking at
case fans.

I have. My SO had an eMachine years ago that would give her fits about every 6-7 months because the case would start
"buzzing." You could hear it and feel it in the case. My first thought was the rear case fan (nope, not it), and then
the PS fan (nope, not it either). Turned out it was the CPU fan. It was an old Pentium II with one of those tiny Radio
Shack POS fans, and the bushings would wear out regularly. At the time, it was all she needed in the way of a PC, and it
was a heck of a lot cheaper to buy new fans ($4 or $5 at the time) than it was to buy her a new PC.

Understandable for an eMachine. I've only dealt with one of those. We
normally had decent equipment.

The fan usually fails on my graphics cards and I don't smoke. You
should see the cards I pull out of my sister's machines.

Old February 19th 12, 06:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 17:58:09 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

Understandable for an eMachine. I've only dealt with one of those. We
normally had decent equipment.

The fan usually fails on my graphics cards and I don't smoke. You
should see the cards I pull out of my sister's machines.

Almost everything I've worked with has been from non-smoking
locations. I do agree smoker's machines are miserable.
Old February 20th 12, 12:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

wrote:
The screw are tightened correctly.

I put my finger lightly on the CPU fan and there was no change in
noise level.

I'll just play some disco music and drown out the noise. :-)

Andy

I've never seen the CPU fan cause vibration. *I would be looking at
case fans.

I believe I replaced the CPU fan from a box of salvaged items.

I think the newer fan is too fast, thus the vibration.

Andy

Is the newer fan a 2-, 3-, or 4-wire fan? If it's anything other than a
2-wire, it should be able to be controlled, either manually through a
program like SpeedFan * *http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php* *, or
automatically by the MB.
--
SC Tom

Thanks for the idea. The fan is a 3 wire.

Andy

how sensitive are HDs to vibration? sillyputty[_2_] Storage (alternative) 2 September 3rd 07 07:20 AM
Joypad and vibration Paul General 1 June 3rd 06 07:46 PM
vibration during recording The Chronic Cdr 2 October 27th 03 06:39 AM
Aeroflow P4 Vibration Tony Ramsden Overclocking 0 October 12th 03 04:34 PM
Aeroflow TMD vibration Tony Ramsden Overclocking 4 October 9th 03 05:30 PM