Vista Upgrade to Win7 ?

Old February 7th 12, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Default Vista Upgrade to Win7 ?

"SC Tom" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote
"SC Tom" sc tom.net wrote:
"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote
"SC Tom" sc tom.net wrote:
Davej wrote:
Davej galt... hotmail.com wrote:

Can this really be done without screwing things up? [...]

Ack, I've regained my sanity. I don't want to buy an
upgrade. I tried that once and it was a long-term
pain-in-the-ass.

I have never done a full install of a Windows OS; I've
always upgraded and have not had any major problems at all.
That was starting from Win3.11-to-Win95 through now.

Your alleged personal experience and trolling aside, the vast
majority of us skilled users know that a clean install of
Windows is always best. That is well-known and well tested
advice. Use an incremental backup of Windows, and the trouble
will be more than worthwhile.

I have no reason to lie about anything I have done,

The point is that the vast majority of skilled users know
better. And you probably know that.

You changed the point when you started the name-calling.

I have not yet begun to start name-calling.

I know that a number of skilled users recommend a clean install,
but an almost equal number have upgraded with no problem.

That is easily proved false by a little research. You don't
have to be a skilled user to know better.

If you have problems before you upgrade, you'll continue to have
problems afterwards; an upgrade isn't going to "fix" anything.

Fixing something is not the most common reason for upgrading. But
there are many things that can be wrong with an installation
without anything that is wrong being majorly evident.

But there is always a chance of a clean install failing, too.

Anything is possible, but an upgrade is more likely to fail.

I've seen both scenarios often enough

An upgrade is easier (unless and until things go wrong), but a
clean install is better. That's the way it's always been.

and unlike you, have no reason to troll either. The OP posted,
and I replied; you tell me why that is trolling.

I see you've nym-shifted again. Probably have to plonk this
nym, too, but I'll wait for some responses first. Have at it
:-)

I never nym-shift. Your imaginary kill file friend ran away
from you (as I predicted). You are an unskilled user with an
attitude.

I don't have an attitude- you're the one that started attacking
me, not the other way around. And you have no idea how skilled a
user I am. I've seen your boasts before, but have never seen any
proof of your extraordinary skills.

At least I could manage an imaginary kill file friend, if I had
any.

Have a nice day :-)

Guaranteed.

And if I caused you to not see this post, I sincerely apologize
for anything I did wrong.
Old February 8th 12, 01:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ting Hsu

On Feb 7, 4:03*pm, "SC Tom" wrote:
Mark Orrin Bender (of San Antonio, Texas), aka "John Doe" jdoe at usenetlove.invalid, aka ultraport at mail.com (iphone), aka lshaping at hotmail.com wrote...
I never nym-shift. Your imaginary kill file friend ran away from
you (as I predicted). You are an unskilled user with an attitude.

I don't have an attitude- you're the one that started attacking me, not the other way around. And you have no idea how
skilled a user I am. I've seen your boasts before, but have never seen any proof of your extraordinary skills.
Have a nice day :-)
SC Tom

You just have to ignore ol' Mark Bender here; it's the best way to
deal with him.
--
// T.Hsu
Old February 8th 12, 02:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.UseNet,freedon'tspam
John Doe

A stalker troll.

Old February 8th 12, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

By the way, Thing... Are you annoyed by the fact that I could play
World of Warcraft by voice, without depending on a limited supply
of obscure keystroke shortcuts? Does that rub you the wrong way?
It's only a matter of time. Voice is being used on ultraportable
computers. And that is impressive, considering the fact that
speech recognition requires significant hardware/processing
overhead. Speech recognition automation will pry its way into
Windows and gaming, someday. But by that time, Thing, you will be
an old man unable to do anything but whine about it all, still
being stuck using a keyboard and mouse.
Old February 8th 12, 04:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Feb 7, 3:48 pm, (GMAN) wrote:

Speaking of Darth Vader, why do you speak like Yoda?

Perhaps because Yoda rose above it, to dissolve into the stuff of
oracles...

'Speaking [. . .for no more than you need to hear, comparatively in
relative mortal or humanistic terms] is like wiping my ass with silk.'
-A rogue program from the Matrix.
Old February 8th 12, 08:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 7/02/2012 11:46 PM, SC Tom wrote:
Davej wrote:
On Feb 4, 10:18 am, Davej wrote:
Can this really be done without screwing things up?
[...]

Ack, I've regained my sanity. I don't want to buy an upgrade. I tried
that once and it was a long-term pain-in-the-ass.

I upgraded my Gateway laptop from Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Win7 HP
32-bit (even though there were no Win7 drivers for it) and have not had
any problems with it so far. That was in October 2009, so if I'm going
to have a problem now, it's MTL not going to be from the upgrade ;-)

As a side note, I have never done a full install of a Windows OS; I've
always upgraded and have not had any major problems at all. That was
starting from Win3.11-to-Win95 through now. Of course, YMMV and the
choice is yours. I would prefer not having to reinstall all my programs.

Given the differences between 3.11 and Win95 and all subsequent Windows
versions, I can see a lot of potential for upgrade issues. Obsolete
software being just one.

--

Krypsis
Old February 8th 12, 08:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Krypsis

On 8/02/2012 8:03 AM, SC Tom wrote:

rant snipped

I know that a number of skilled users recommend a clean install, but an
almost equal number have upgraded with no problem. If you have problems
before you upgrade, you'll continue to have problems afterwards; an
upgrade isn't going to "fix" anything. But there is always a chance of a
clean install failing, too. I've seen both scenarios often enough to
know that nothing is fool-proof.

If a clean install fails then you have either a hardware issue or you
did something wrong. An upgrade has way more opportunities to fail as
the existing system is not guaranteed to be stable in its current state.

I do clean re-installs of Windows on a regular basis. I can only recall
doing an upgrade from Win98 to Win98SE and that only because 98SE was
little more than a bug fix.

rant snipped

--

Krypsis

From: "SC Tom" sc tom.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 07:46:12 -0500

Old February 11th 12, 12:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

On 2/8/2012 3:55 AM, Krypsis wrote:

Given the differences between 3.11 and Win95 and all subsequent Windows
versions, I can see a lot of potential for upgrade issues. Obsolete
software being just one.

Interesting experiment on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnehDhGa14
Old February 11th 12, 02:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.UseNet,free.spam
John Doe

Pointing out that someone is clearly misleading
is hardly improper.

From: "Jumbo Jack" Me btinternet.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 08:35:54 -0000

John, if that is your real name, why do you always FU a topic.

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote in message
news:4f314167$0$2240$c3e8da3$76a7c58f news.astraweb.com...

From: "SC Tom" sc tom.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 07:46:12 -0500