Doom3 vpu errors 9700pro

Old August 7th 04, 12:32 PM
Mark Goddard

Default Doom3 vpu errors 9700pro

Is anyone else out here having lockups/VPU recovery errors, about 10- 15
mins into the game? I've tried updating drivers for the 9700pro (cat 4.9)
via chipset drivers, soundblaster drivers, even turned off fast writes and
changed the AGP ap size to 32mb. The support website for doom suggested
changing the desktop res to 800 x 600 32 bit colour i've done this and
turned off antivirus etc and all its done is make the game run a little
longer without crashing. Help is there anything else i can do. I've even
thought of upgrading to to an nvidia card (don't want to rather wait until i
get a new mb with pci x and get one of the new radeons).
Please help
It could be that my 550 watt psu failed and i'm using a 300 watt one? or
over heating?

Athlon xp 2.4+ (not overclocked)
Msi kt400 MB
1 GB ram
Soundblaster audigy player
Shappire 9700pro (cat 4.9, didn't work with others either)

Old August 7th 04, 07:14 PM
Bill Larcombe

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , Mark Goddard says...
[...]

You're trying to run that lot off a 300W PSU? Madness.

--
Conor

Do gooders are your most dangerous enemies. Never turn your back on the
devious *******s.

Oh and err you've got a creative soundcard ..... they make those in hell you
know! ;o)

As for the PSU I'm running more than that (XP2800+, 9700, 2 HDD's, 2 Op.
Drives 6 fans, TV Card, 1 GB RAM RAM) without problems on an Antec TruPower
330 Watt PSU, remember wattage isn't everything *quality* is very important
as well ...

Old August 8th 04, 12:18 AM
Slabster

Mark.... I was having the same problem. Doom3 would lockup or crash after
about 10 to 15 minutes using an AIW 9700. I just upgraded to the current
drivers on the ATI site and it seems to have corrected the problem for me.
Runing AGP ap at 512 mb (1 Gig system ram) at 640 x 480 32bit my AMD 2800+
system seems stable now. By default, on my sustem, all the graphic setting
are quite low in Doom3.

Old August 8th 04, 12:19 AM
JD

If it counts for anything, I get that error with my current windows
installation as well but under a clean install it runs fine.

Old August 8th 04, 08:26 AM
Sleepy

"Sleepy" wrote in message
Have you tried disabling VPU Recovery ? It can CAUSE problems for some
users.

Incidentally Im running a XP2400. 768mb ram. Via chipset mobo. SbLive.
9700NP
my bro's using XP2400. 512 ram. Via chipset mobo. Audigy 2. 9700 AIWpro
and neither of us have lockups using the 4.8 betas (havent bothered trying
the 4.9s)
run a clean and lean system and dont overclock your card too much with this
game
- my Hercules NP is 300/300 and my bro puts his up to 9800pro speeds.

Old August 9th 04, 06:07 PM
DaveL

Me too. D3 game aborted to the desktop when it tried to jump to a cut
scene. I updated to driver to cat 4.7 and it's fine now. I have a
Visiontek 9600XT. I run the game in medium quality at 1024x760 and it plays
ok. I might need to turn on vsync as I do get some tearing.

DaveL

Old August 9th 04, 06:18 PM
Pluvious

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:07:48 -0700, "DaveL"
wrote:

Me too. D3 game aborted to the desktop when it tried to jump to a cut
scene. I updated to driver to cat 4.7 and it's fine now. I have a
Visiontek 9600XT. I run the game in medium quality at 1024x760 and it plays
ok. I might need to turn on vsync as I do get some tearing.

DaveL

I fixed the tearing by uping the refresh rate to 85Mhz instead of the
default 60Mhz. (using MultiRez or editing your .cfg file)

Pluvious

Old August 10th 04, 06:41 PM
JD

OK I figured it out, my windows reinstall idea was only working because I
forgot to install the AGP driver and once I installed that it started
crashing. So then I changed the AGP in the BIOS from 8X to 4X and it works
terrific, 9 hours straight of Doom 3 without a hitch. This on a 9700 PRo as
well.

Old August 11th 04, 11:47 PM
DaveL

Hi, and thanks for the tip. What line in the doomconfig.cfg file is it that
controls the refresh rate?

DaveL

news
wrote:

Me too. D3 game aborted to the desktop when it tried to jump to a cut
scene. I updated to driver to cat 4.7 and it's fine now. I have a
Visiontek 9600XT. I run the game in medium quality at 1024x760 and it

plays
ok. I might need to turn on vsync as I do get some tearing.

DaveL

I fixed the tearing by uping the refresh rate to 85Mhz instead of the
default 60Mhz. (using MultiRez or editing your .cfg file)

Pluvious

9700pro vs 9800pro (DooM3 value?) Zodiara Ati Videocards 5 August 4th 04 06:31 PM
C1 and C2 errors James Perrett Cdr 10 April 14th 04 08:08 AM
Can't install any OS (hardware fault?) Paul Richard Homebuilt PC's 4 September 27th 03 12:55 PM
How concerned should I be about these Nero CD-Speed C2 errors? Robert Hancock Cdr 5 August 19th 03 12:34 AM
Update: Memtest86 errors Bob Davis Gigabyte Motherboards 2 August 3rd 03 06:27 AM