need replacement for Gigabyte GV-NX62LTC256T graphics card

Old April 29th 11, 08:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

Default need replacement for Gigabyte GV-NX62LTC256T graphics card

Hi all, I need replacement graphics card but I'm having trouble deciding
which kind it is, in fact I've lost track of the different kinds available.

This card is marked Gigabyte GV-NX62LTC256T

What am I looking for?

Old April 29th 11, 10:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

"123Jim" wrote in message
Hi all, I need replacement graphics card but I'm having trouble deciding
which kind it is, in fact I've lost track of the different kinds
available.

This card is marked Gigabyte GV-NX62LTC256T

What am I looking for?

OK .. I think I need a PCI-E graphics card..
I know this because I looked at a number of images of PCI-E cards and
counted the connector 'pins' on the short side of the notch.

I've identified this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A17AS5ETPMZ9A1

Old April 29th 11, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

123Jim wrote:
"123Jim" wrote in message
Hi all, I need replacement graphics card but I'm having trouble deciding
which kind it is, in fact I've lost track of the different kinds
available.

This card is marked Gigabyte GV-NX62LTC256T

What am I looking for?

OK .. I think I need a PCI-E graphics card..
I know this because I looked at a number of images of PCI-E cards and
counted the connector 'pins' on the short side of the notch.

I've identified this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A17AS5ETPMZ9A1

I couldn't find your exact part number, but it could well be a 6200 TurboCache
PCI Express card.

The one you picked on Amazon is also a PCI Express.

You can get power consumption numbers from Xbitlabs. That's important,
if the computer has a weak power supply, and you're worried about overloading
it. The one you picked from Amazon uses passive cooling, so it must be one
of the lower power ones. If a video card has a PCI Express auxiliary power
connector on the end of the card, that means it needs more power. Cards
drawing power solely from the PCI Express slot, usually range up to about
50W or so (12V @ 4 amps). If a card needs more than about 50 watts, they
tend to add a connector to the end of the card, and juggle the loads around
a bit.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...0_3.html#sect0

(Use the "Peak" chart - that number is what happens when you play 3D games)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video...ysis_power.png

The HD 4350 on Amazon, should be less power than the HD 4550 measured here.
So it's going to be below 18.5 watts.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...0_4.html#sect0

Best policy, is to remove the driver for the existing video card first,
before shutting down for the last time, and swapping out the video card.
That is intended to try to keep the setup "clean" in terms of old
driver components. Once the new card is installed, then you can install
a new driver for it after the system boots with the new card in place.

The operating system in your computer, also makes a difference to the cards
you can select. For example, I have Windows 2K as an operating system here,
and the 6200 would likely have had a driver for it, while newer cards
(like the HD 4350), likely don't have a Win2K driver. So before you run
off and buy a card, go to the ATI/AMD site and attempt to download
a driver for your planned purchase. If your current OS is Windows 7, then
you shouldn't have a problem with a brand new video card. But really old
OSes, are limited in what cards can be used for an "upgrade". That's one
of the reasons I had to stop using Windows 2K.

Paul
Old April 29th 11, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

"Paul" wrote in message
123Jim wrote:
"123Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Paul, I've ordered the [ASUS EAH4350 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) - graphics
adapter - Radeon HD 4350 - 512 MB]

There is a driver available for XP so that'll do nicely. I'll remove the
drivers for the old card as you suggest.
cheers!