Overvolt question...

Old January 26th 04, 01:19 PM
Gambit

Default Overvolt question...

Hi there, I'm a lurker and i got a question for ya all.

I buyed a:

Barton 2500+ (Locked)
Asus A7N8X-X 1006 Bios
One stick 512 MB RAM DDR PC3200 Elixir
Aero7 Fan
Radeon 9800pro

I'm Trying to overclock my Cpu. And, now, I'm at 191Mhz (Fsb) stable with
vcore at 1.675. It's going ok with games like Need For Speed Underground and
with encoding using Nero Burning Rom. (A few times, with some DivX, it
closed itself without no error. I think this is a codec problem...)
I tried to run Prime95... It gives me an error at first test. So I adjusted
Vcore to 1.750, gradually, and now it goes ok without problems. After a few
Test (about 100) , my temperature is 47° with open case, low speed fan, and
a cold weather. So, now, I need some tips... Do I have to leave my Vcore at
1.675 with an apparent stable system, or i have to pump up the vcore up to
1.750? There is some risk with this Vcore at that temperature? Can i damage
my Cpu? :-/

Again, i'm trying to take FSB up to 200Mhz but it needs at least 1.775 for
the Vcore and it crashes after a few seconds of every Cpu-based application
(Encoders, Games...) with a blank blue screen. I think it could be the Ram.
Some hint, here? (without changing ram...)

Last question: how many can I overvolt before damaging my CPU permanentely?

TIA.

Old January 26th 04, 08:30 PM
BigBadger

From your description it appears 1.675V is not stable at all, otherwise it
would not crash in the first Prime95 test. Certainly 1.75V is no problem for
24/7 operation, especially if your temps are below 50C (I assume this is the
full load temp not idle).
I run my XP2600+ at 2.06V air cooled without any problem (for 6 months now),
however before you think about voltages that high you need very good
cooling!!!

Old January 26th 04, 09:02 PM
Gambit

"BigBadger" ha scritto nel messaggio

From your description it appears 1.675V is not stable at all, otherwise it
would not crash in the first Prime95 test. Certainly 1.75V is no problem

for
24/7 operation, especially if your temps are below 50C (I assume this is

the
full load temp not idle).

I don't use it 24/7. I've another PC as a server. This one is only used for
gaming purpose and some dvd ripping/encoding. I think it will be on at a
maximum of 16 hours per day. And, yes, it's 50C in full load. :-)
Idle temp goes from 18 to 35 according to weather temp.

I run my XP2600+ at 2.06V air cooled without any problem (for 6 months

now),
however before you think about voltages that high you need very good
cooling!!!

I will not overvolt anymore with my fan. I think 1.75 is high enough for my
fan. Maybe I can pump up to 1.775 but i think is not enough to take on a
2200Mhz stable. Anyway, on next month, i'm planning to install some case
fan. And, on next december, i'm planning to sell this CPU and buy a new Amd
one. I think the most powerfull that my mobo can support. So, maybe an
Athlon 3000+ or 3200+. Do you know if these devices can reach a good oc?

Thanx.

Cable Modem Question Dan Rather General 1 October 10th 06 12:12 PM
FSB question Ken Ruppel Overclocking AMD Processors 2 October 8th 04 08:37 PM
Printer question! Alon Brodski General 3 May 10th 04 05:13 AM
newbie question about dvd-r/cd-r harrypotter General 11 January 11th 04 04:52 AM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 01:25 PM