Floppy Disk Drive Problem

Old February 9th 04, 07:32 AM
Eyman

Default Floppy Disk Drive Problem

Hi,

Ive just replaced my floppy disk after the old one died. Now I have this
problem where the drive is is recognised by the 'whirring sound' prior to
post, but it will not boot to a floppy or be operational in windows.

The bios is configured to boot to a floppy first as it was with the pevious
drive. After posting it sits on a 'updating dmi pool' screen while it looks
for something in the floppy to boot to with the floppy light lit up. It
stays like this for a few seconds and then gives up and boots to windows.

Windows sees the floppy a: drive under file explorer, and under control
panel the floppy drive and the floppy drive controller are both seen without
any problems.

Trying to access a disk that I know has data on it within windows comes up
with a 'insert disk into a:' error. Ive tried other disks as well.

Ive swapped cables and this doesnt seem to be the problem.

The drive doesnt seem to be a problem as it is accessed but cant seem to
read data.

I havent changed any bios settings and Im 100% sure its plugged in
correctly.

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance

Eyman

Old February 9th 04, 02:06 PM
Dave C.

"Eyman" wrote in message
Hi,

Ive just replaced my floppy disk after the old one died. Now I have this
problem where the drive is is recognised by the 'whirring sound' prior to
post, but it will not boot to a floppy or be operational in windows.

The bios is configured to boot to a floppy first as it was with the

pevious
drive. After posting it sits on a 'updating dmi pool' screen while it

looks
for something in the floppy to boot to with the floppy light lit up. It
stays like this for a few seconds and then gives up and boots to windows.

It's not unheard of for a new floppy drive to be bad. If you have a known
good floppy drive, try that. (like borrow one from another system). If
that one doesn't work, the floppy controller on the motherboard might be
bad. -Dave

Old February 10th 04, 04:10 AM
tomcas

Check your bios settings for drive for A drive to be set 1.44M 3.5in , none
for B, and mode 3 disabled.

Old February 10th 04, 04:27 AM
Eyman

hi

this is configured in the bios

eyman

Old February 10th 04, 05:07 AM
sdlomi2

"Eyman" wrote in message
[...]

Try reversing the flat cable at the floppy end. Should solve
problem if floppy is good. HTH, sdlomi2.

Old February 10th 04, 11:56 AM
tomcas

Isn't the classic sign that this connection is reversed when the floppy
drive light stays on continuously?

Old February 10th 04, 06:52 PM
sdlomi2

t...

"sdlomi2" wrote in message

"Eyman" wrote in message
[...]

Having just encountered it, and based on my sample of one, I'd guess you
are correct. I think, but am not dead sure, that my lite was on
continuously. Nonetheless, when I reversed the cable, it was fixed. All
the time, all showed up as correct in Device Manager. s

how to test psu and reset to cmos to default Tanya General 23 February 7th 05 09:56 AM
Skybuck's adventure with the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 123.5 GB ;) The Other Guy. General 24 November 17th 04 07:49 PM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Fan Controller and Fan causes floppy drive failure Andrew Diamond Overclocking AMD Processors 16 September 17th 03 06:56 AM
Floppy Drive Emulator Perry Burdick General 1 August 23rd 03 06:13 PM