P5E WS Pro - installing SSD to run OS

Old July 27th 09, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ChrisW

Default P5E WS Pro - installing SSD to run OS

I plan to install a Corsair SSD to replace an existing HDD to run
Windows 7 RC 64 bit (and later Windows 7 itself when it is released)
plus applications and then have my two existing 500Gb SATA drives
mirrored (RAID 1) to protect all my data. This way if there is a drive
failure all my own data is protected and everything else is
re-installable.

My Asus P5E WS Pro BIOS gives me one choice of IDE/AHCI/RAID for SATA.
Corsair recommends setting the SSD as AHCI but there is only one BIOS
setting for SATA and I need to set it to RAID for the reasons above.

Is there any way around the conundrum?
Thanks.
Old July 28th 09, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

ChrisW wrote:
I plan to install a Corsair SSD to replace an existing HDD to run
Windows 7 RC 64 bit (and later Windows 7 itself when it is released)
plus applications and then have my two existing 500Gb SATA drives
mirrored (RAID 1) to protect all my data. This way if there is a drive
failure all my own data is protected and everything else is
re-installable.

My Asus P5E WS Pro BIOS gives me one choice of IDE/AHCI/RAID for SATA.
Corsair recommends setting the SSD as AHCI but there is only one BIOS
setting for SATA and I need to set it to RAID for the reasons above.

Is there any way around the conundrum?
Thanks.

The downloadable MakeDisk on the Asus site, has these in the DOS
folders. This is what you'd copy to a floppy, for an F6 driver
install when installing Windows.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis..._xp03vista.zip

iaAHCI.cat
iaAHCI.inf
iaStor.cat
iaStor.inf
IaStor.sys
license.txt
readme.txt
TXTSETUP.OEM

The IaStor.sys file is used for both AHCI and RAID mode. There are
two separate INF files, and they both call up IaStor.sys. My guess
is, both of your requirements, will be covered by the same driver.

Paul
Old July 28th 09, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ChrisW

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 19:18:38 -0400, Paul wrote:

snip

The IaStor.sys file is used for both AHCI and RAID mode. There are
two separate INF files, and they both call up IaStor.sys. My guess
is, both of your requirements, will be covered by the same driver.

Paul

Thanks for that. I now understand that the only difference between
the RAID and AHCI mode is that the latter has various power saving
features. You would seem to be correct in that setting SATA as RAID
will in fact allow AHCI effectively for a single drive in non RAID
mode.

I look forward to seeing if an SSD makes a real difference to booting
and application loading times.
Chris