Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have Now

Old March 3rd 09, 04:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Default Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have Now

Saturday, I got a blue screen with a PFN_List_Corrupt error message, powered
down the computer (to restart) and when I did, it revved up like a jet
engine. I'm sure it would have (literally) blown up if I hadn't reached the
electrical plug in time! Smoke was coming out of the back of the computer.
Called Dell. 4 yo Dimension 8400 is still under full warranty till May of
this year. Great! They'll pay for a new power supply or fan (or whatever)
over heated and smoked. No.....they're sending a new (probably refurbished)
computer! What would be today's equivalent to a Dim 8400 that was
shipped with a P4 processor, 3.2 GHz, 1GB RAM (I now have 4 but XP only
reads 3.2GB), Radeon X300 graphics card, CD/DVD dual sided burner), SB
Audigy 2 5.1 surround sound and 160GB hard drive? Or maybe you know more
about how Dell handles this and what I could expect. I have no idea what to
expect but I'm a little worried. I know it's a 4 year old system but it's a
good, expandable one that, until Saturday, hasn't given me a minute's
trouble and runs great. I requested a XP os but was told they're all
shipped with Vista. According to their website, they CAN ship with XP.
I use a vacuum on all the openings that can suck in dust and also the back
where the fan vents are located. I have no indoor pets and at least once a
year (if not more) remove the cover to clean the inside.
Monica

Old March 3rd 09, 04:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Monica, Dell replaced my 8400 about 18 months ago with a 9150. A much better
computer. You should get something even better. Insist on WinXP.

Old March 3rd 09, 04:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
JayB

i would just use your xp cd on whatever they send you.

you can also clone your system drive onto a new one, then do a repair
install from the Dell windows CD to fix the hardware drivers problem you
would have. then you have your exact system back.

dont settle for a vostro.
make sure you get a XPS or optiplex. or dimmension 9150 mimimum.

the entire refurbished computer is equal in price to the old
motherboard. you can always get that motherboard on ebay for cheap and
have 2 computers. or sell off the new one they give you after replacing
the MB in the old one if you love it so much. you have a lot of options.

Old March 3rd 09, 04:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Dell will want the 8400.

Old March 3rd 09, 05:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Saturday, I got a blue screen with a PFN_List_Corrupt error message,
powered down the computer (to restart) and when I did, it revved up like
a jet engine.

Smoke was coming out of the back of the computer.

Sounds like a case of a power supply losing all regulation and failing to
shut down in a safe way. Fire would be a bit unlikely, but it can't hurt
that you unplugged it. I strongly suspect that a great many components in
that system are now useful as wall hangers, provided they don't smell too
bad. Sadly, this may mean that your hard drive was damaged as well, although
you could get lucky.

I'm impressed that Dell agreed to replace the computer with a newer one. (Of
course, to be fair, smoke coming out in large quantities will tend to induce
that reaction.) I tend to agree with the other posters--the only "real"
equivalent to your Dimension would be another, more modern Dimension system.
The Inspiron and Vostro systems sold today are not bad, but they are not
built like the Dimension systems of times past. If Dell won't supply a good
refurbished Dimension, I'd look to the OptiPlex systems...they're still
solidly built, business grade systems and many of them can be upgraded to be
hot rod computers if that's your intention.

William

Old March 3rd 09, 09:27 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff[_6_]

Monica wrote:
[...]

it's just plain blown up, nothing you did wrong i would have thought
if they send you something 'comparable' to what you have now, expect a
cheapy basically (not that i'v sent anything back to em though)

sounds like you keep your computer cleaner than most people, you *do*
need to remove dust now and than or or just can't shift heat and overheats
Old March 3rd 09, 11:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Monday, March 02, 2009 10:05 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I
Have Now
Subject: Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have
[...]

Darn near anything you get is going to be faster. Might not be the best
case, but hopefully they'll send a nice XPS420

Let us know what you get.

Old March 3rd 09, 01:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Brian, was the 9150 a current machine at the time? I've told no less than 6
reps/tech support people that I want XP. I can always reformat and use my
XP cd that I burned when I got the Dim 8400 (right?) but it would be nice if
XP came on it.

Old March 3rd 09, 01:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Thanks guys. I'm anxious (and nervous) to see what they offer me. I've
heard of companies replacing (other) products in similar situations and
going on the cheap side...customers NOT happy after being told the
replacement would be equal to or better than what's being replaced.
Monica

"Tom Scales" wrote in message