Different approach on my UMAX ASTRA 6450 problem

Old July 10th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

Default Different approach on my UMAX ASTRA 6450 problem

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:56:28 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:45:13 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

So, the question is, do you have an Imaging_Device in Device Manager ?
Is it labelled 1394_Scanner ?

Yes, but it is flagged yellow. The entry reads:
UMAX Astra 6400 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device

That's looking like it installed and 'only' has some problem. Apparently the
"6450" is just an external identification and it is still technically a 6400 at
heart. It might be helpful to know what modules are listed under Details for

SBP2\UMAX&ASTRA_6400_______&LUN0\00102B1170029CC

that Driver. Also, can you search and find a SCSISCAN.SYS anywhere in the
Windows folder?

Yes - scsiscan.sys exists at c:\windows\system32\drivers.

And planning ahead:
If you have a DVD burner and use software like Nero or similar installed, then
you would already have aspi installed. If not, you are going to need it. Get
aspichk.exe from the website at:
http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
Run that to check the current condition of aspi on your system.

Yes I do - Nero. but I found aspichk under a different CDRW
application, so I downloaded and executed the file at
http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
After re-boot (as per instructions), I did another search for
aspichk.exe. I see it nowhere additional except of course the
downloaded file. I tried to re-install the scanner driver anyhow,
with the same negative results.

Oh well....

Thanks again. Please don't give up on me. I still have not been able
to get anyone to admit that they ever got this scanner to run on WXP!

Jethro

Old July 11th 06, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:45:13 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

So, the question is, do you have an Imaging_Device in Device Manager ?
Is it labelled 1394_Scanner ?

Yes, but it is flagged yellow. The entry reads:
UMAX Astra 6400 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device

That's looking like it installed and 'only' has some problem. Apparently the
"6450" is just an external identification and it is still technically a 6400 at
heart. It might be helpful to know what modules are listed under Details for

SBP2\UMAX&ASTRA_6400_______&LUN0\00102B1170029CC

that Driver.

You seem to have forgotten the list of files under Driver Details.

Also, can you search and find a SCSISCAN.SYS anywhere in the
Windows folder?

Yes - scsiscan.sys exists at c:\windows\system32\drivers.

Sounds good!

And planning ahead:
If you have a DVD burner and use software like Nero or similar installed, then
you would already have aspi installed. If not, you are going to need it. Get
aspichk.exe from the website at:
http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
Run that to check the current condition of aspi on your system.

Yes I do - Nero. but I found aspichk under a different CDRW
application, so I downloaded and executed the file at
http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
After re-boot (as per instructions), I did another search for
aspichk.exe. I see it nowhere additional except of course the
downloaded file.

aspichk.exe is just a utility that brings up a graphics display (or should). It
doesn't install anything.

I tried to re-install the scanner driver anyhow,
with the same negative results.

Hopefully with the original .inf and not the one you modified. Also hopefully
showing a IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device afterwards that will reveal a list of files in
the Driver Details tab.

Oh well....

Thanks again. Please don't give up on me. I still have not been able
to get anyone to admit that they ever got this scanner to run on WXP!

Why would they be here if they didn't have any trouble? They're merrily scanning
away. vbg

Bob
Old July 11th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:45:13 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

So, the question is, do you have an Imaging_Device in Device Manager ?
Is it labelled 1394_Scanner ?

Yes, but it is flagged yellow. The entry reads:
UMAX Astra 6400 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device

That's looking like it installed and 'only' has some problem. Apparently the
"6450" is just an external identification and it is still technically a 6400 at
heart. It might be helpful to know what modules are listed under Details for

SBP2\UMAX&ASTRA_6400_______&LUN0\00102B1170029CC

that Driver.

You seem to have forgotten the list of files under Driver Details.

I don't see a file list under 'details' for the driver in Device
Manager. I see a pull down window with several selectable's the first
of which is 'Device Instance Id'. I must be in the wrong place.
Where?

Old July 11th 06, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:45:13 -0400, (Paul) wrote:

So, the question is, do you have an Imaging_Device in Device Manager ?
Is it labelled 1394_Scanner ?

Yes, but it is flagged yellow. The entry reads:
UMAX Astra 6400 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device

That's looking like it installed and 'only' has some problem. Apparently the
"6450" is just an external identification and it is still technically a 6400 at
heart. It might be helpful to know what modules are listed under Details for

SBP2\UMAX&ASTRA_6400_______&LUN0\00102B1170029CC

that Driver.

You seem to have forgotten the list of files under Driver Details.

I don't see a file list under 'details' for the driver in Device
Manager. I see a pull down window with several selectable's the first
of which is 'Device Instance Id'. I must be in the wrong place.
Where?

I run Win2k and linux on this machine and Win2k is close to XP but not exact in
the way that is done. So I went upstairs to the XP machine as I had done earlier
to make sure the info was available. No UMAX on that one, but no matter. This
time I mentally noted the details. You've obviously been getting to Device
Manager, so starting with that screen up, I choose any device, right-click and
select Properties. Then click the Driver tab. Then click Driver Details. There
will hopefully be a list of files.

[...]

The exercise we're going through now will be shooting at a moving target and a
waste of time if this isn't a fresh install using the original installation
files.

Bob
Old July 11th 06, 10:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

[...]

Yes, I am operating within Device Manager, which has three
scanner-related entries:
1 - A firewire entry:
'IEEE 1394 Bus host controller' under which is:
'VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device'
which it says is working properly.
2 - A Imaging Devices entry:
'UMAX Astra 6400 IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device'
WHICH IS FLAGGED YELLOW! and shows that
'the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)'
and which when I try to re-install the driver, it says it failed,
saying:
'THERE WAS A PROBLEM INSTALLING THIS HARDWARE'.
3 - A 'SBP2 IEEE 1394 Devices' entry under which is:
'SBP2 Compliant IEEE 1394 Device'
which it says is working properly.

For the yellow-flagged entry, I was going to PropertiesDetails
yesterday, which was wrong. Now I am at PropertiesDriverDriver
Details. It says:
'No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device'.

I checked the other two Device Manager driver entries, and sure enough
there are file names there under, 5 under the first,
1394bus.sys
asp1394.sys
enum1394.sys
nic1394.sys
ohci1394.sys
1 under the third.
sbp2port.sys

Does all this show anything revealing?

[...]

I agree. But I did just that, I think. I began yesterday's efforts
by removing all prior work (except removing the driver from Device
manager - which I could not do for some reason), and then re-did
everything, including trying to re-install the driver in Device
Manager.

Thanks again

Jethro

Bob

Old July 11th 06, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

[...]

Windows thinks you enjoy being lied to like that?

I checked the other two Device Manager driver entries, and sure enough
there are file names there under, 5 under the first,
1394bus.sys
asp1394.sys
enum1394.sys
nic1394.sys
ohci1394.sys
1 under the third.
sbp2port.sys

Does all this show anything revealing?

At least we know the extent of the damage.

[...]

I'm still scratching my head over that one. aspichk.exe doesn't ask for a
re-boot. Are we talking about the same module or did you get one with a
different spelling?

I tried to re-install the scanner driver anyhow,
with the same negative results.

Hopefully with the original .inf and not the one you modified. Also hopefully
showing a IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device afterwards that will reveal a list of files in
the Driver Details tab.

The exercise we're going through now will be shooting at a moving target and a
waste of time if this isn't a fresh install using the original installation
files.

I agree. But I did just that, I think. I began yesterday's efforts
by removing all prior work (except removing the driver from Device
manager - which I could not do for some reason), and then re-did
everything, including trying to re-install the driver in Device
Manager.

I guess that it's time for a little hacking. There are some readme notes I left
in my Windows from when I was going through this same hassle with my system and
maybe the following will work for your system. Go to Disk2 on that installation
set and locate the file UMAXUSD2.INF. Place a copy of it in your C:\Windows\inf
folder. Rename it to umax.inf and then right-click on it and choose the Install
option. Our next step will be determined by what happens then.

Bob
Old July 11th 06, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Robert Heiling

Robert Heiling wrote:

I guess that it's time for a little hacking. There are some readme notes I left
in my Windows from when I was going through this same hassle with my system and
maybe the following will work for your system. Go to Disk2 on that installation
set and locate the file UMAXUSD2.INF. Place a copy of it in your C:\Windows\inf
folder. Rename it to umax.inf and then right-click on it and choose the Install
option. Our next step will be determined by what happens then.

On second thought, re-boot first after the rename and before clicking that
Install. It may not make any difference, but no harm in booting.

Bob
Old July 11th 06, 03:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

Jethro wrote:

[...]

GOOD MORNING!

Wouldn't be the first time, would it?

I checked the other two Device Manager driver entries, and sure enough
there are file names there under, 5 under the first,
1394bus.sys
asp1394.sys
enum1394.sys
nic1394.sys
ohci1394.sys
1 under the third.
sbp2port.sys

Does all this show anything revealing?

At least we know the extent of the damage.

Easy for U to say.

[...]

I downloaded 179KB file ForceASPI_v17.zip from
http://radified.com/Files/ForceASPI_v17.zip and un-zipped it to get:
3 folders
WIN9X
WINNT
HTML
plus 8 files including 112KB file aspichk,exe and instaspi.bat.
I executed the latter DOS batch file and it seemed to run okay, after
which it actually says to reboot your PC to 'make the changes active',
and to 'press continue' to do it - which I did.
Hence the re-boot.

The batch file showed four files added to c:\windows:
winaspi.dll
wowpost.exe
winaspi32,dll
aspi32.sys

plus 'add registry settings'
'Done!'

Anyway - after re-boot. I do not see any aspichk.exe except for the
one in the unzipped folder that had the batch file I executed above.
When I execute it, I get a window showing that 'version 4.6 of ASPI is
properly installed', and is 'fully operational' and shows all four
files listed above (winaspi.dll etc). Again, just now, I tried to
re-install the scanner driver in Device Manager. and it failed same as
before.

[...]

Done. I renamed it too,

option. Our next step will be determined by what happens then.

Done. The screen just 'blinked', but did not show a window or message
or anything else. I will remain in this position until I hear back.

Thanks

Jethro
Old July 11th 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.scanner,alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:35:00 -0700, Robert Heiling
wrote:

Robert Heiling wrote:

I guess that it's time for a little hacking. There are some readme notes I left
in my Windows from when I was going through this same hassle with my system and
maybe the following will work for your system. Go to Disk2 on that installation
set and locate the file UMAXUSD2.INF. Place a copy of it in your C:\Windows\inf
folder. Rename it to umax.inf and then right-click on it and choose the Install
option. Our next step will be determined by what happens then.

On second thought, re-boot first after the rename and before clicking that
Install. It may not make any difference, but no harm in booting.

I just spotted this post. I re-booted, then executed an install of
umax.inf with same non-results. I.E. the screen blinks and that's
all.

Jethro