DS8100 vs HDS9980 ?

Old March 17th 06, 12:10 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default DS8100 vs HDS9980 ?

Hello

I need to compare two array models:
IBM DS8100 and Hitachi Lightning 9980.
Unfortunately I am not experienced in enterprise class arrays features.
The array is considered mainly for our Mainframe with ESCON interfaces.

The solution (licences) price is more important than performance. It may
be even second hand.
We also consider to perform the data replication to second datacenter.

Could You give me some suggestion, what should I put my attention on to
determine
which model is better/cheaper?

Thanks
Darek
Old March 20th 06, 10:15 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

I dont think you would go wrong with either box. I would personally use
the HDS. I think most people in the enterprise class storage arena
would agree with me that IBM disk leaves alot to be desired. I only
talk from experiance in the open system space but HDS has a proven
technology in ESCON disk arrays and remote replication.

Old April 1st 06, 02:21 AM posted to comp.arch.storage

I agree. Both will do the job, HDS will do it better. I beleive that IBM
OEM's their array's and it used to be from LSI. HDS manufactures their
array's and they are very reliable, have a fantastic software offering and
good service.

The HDS 9980 is a great box! You may also want to look at the HP XP1024
which is a 9980 with some additional firmware enhancements added by HP
engineering and HP offers some software that HDS does not. If I were to
choose between the three I would go with HPXP1024, HDS 9980V and then IBM as
a last resort.

Rick
ups.com...