Help Installing New HDD

Old August 5th 05, 08:54 PM
Monica

Default Help Installing New HDD

I know just about enough to be dangerous g I need to get one of the blue
cables and plug it into the MB but I'm not sure exactly where to plug it.
Looks like there are four places where it could go. The OS drive is plugged
into one labeled "0". 1, 2, and 3 are open. I'm guessing 1. Also, what
is the name of the
cable so I'll know what to ask for? There is no mention of jumper
configuration on the drive or in the installation instructions. I've got
the 4 wire connector connected
to the new drive, so when I boot up, I get the following message (preceded
by 2 beeps)...
Drive 4 not found. Parallel ATA PATA-0 (PRI IDE Master) I can hit the F1
key to continue.

I understand the reason for the message. What I don't understand is this
"parallel ATA" statement. Both installed drives are SATA.
Here is a link to a couple of pictures. Visuals always help
Dimension 8400
Thanks,
Monica

http://www.pbase.com/image/47241403/original

Old August 5th 05, 09:23 PM
Ted Zieglar

It's really easy, Monica, and Dell makes it even easier. I know this,
because I've added and replaced several hard disks, and if I can do it, you
surely can.

In the first place, the User Guide that came with your computer has detailed
directions. (If your User Guide is up in the attic somewhere you can read it
on Dell's web site.) Also, the drive manufacturer includes a step by step
guide with diagrams. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.The
cables themselves are keyed so you can't plug them in backwards. (Don't ask
how I know this.)

Your only problem will be manoevering around among the mass of wires and
cables inside your computer. Just go slow and everything will go fine. The
connectors on the cables require some force to get into place (and remove)
so watch out for your nails.

Once everything is connected, turn on the computer and go straight to the
BIOS. Do you see your new hard disk listed there? In that case, you're all
set. Now all you have to do is intialize the disk in XP.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

Old August 5th 05, 09:32 PM
Glittery Gary

"Monica" wrote in message
[...]

its all here

http://www.directron.com/patasata.html

Old August 5th 05, 09:46 PM
Tom Scales

The message means you have one of the CD drives turned on in the BIOS that
doesn't exist. Go into the BIOS. One will likely say unknown. Turn that
one off.

as for the drive, the drive should come with the cable. Just a standard sata
cable.

Tom

Old August 6th 05, 06:44 AM
Monica

Didn't think of looking in the User Guide for installing third party
hardware. Thanks. The Samsung Spinpoint hdd came from NewEgg and is an
OEM...meaning it come with no connections/cables, nada. Even I know the
connectors are keyed g Basically what I needed to know is which one of
the 4 slots on the mb does the blue cable go in. Maybe Dell's manual will
tell me. Thanks for your help
Monica

Old August 6th 05, 06:56 AM
Monica

Thanks for the link. I read it all and more fully understand what the
differences are
Monica

Old August 6th 05, 07:01 AM
Monica

Tom, you were (mostly) right and I was wrong...go figure Not sure what I
did but my one and only CD drive has power but isn't seen by XP. I'm sure
it has something to do with my old IDE harddrive I removed when installing
the new SATA drive. The IDE and CD drive were on the same ribbon and I
probably unplugged it from the mb. The new drive is an OEM from NewEgg...no
cables. Hopefully I can get one at BestBuy or one of the other big box
computer stores. Thanks for the reply.
Monica

. ..

Old August 6th 05, 08:00 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Ted Zieglar wrote:

It's really easy, Monica, and Dell makes it even easier. I know this,
because I've added and replaced several hard disks, and if I can do it, you
surely can.

In the first place, the User Guide that came with your computer has detailed
directions. (If your User Guide is up in the attic somewhere you can read it
on Dell's web site.) Also, the drive manufacturer includes a step by step
guide with diagrams. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.The
cables themselves are keyed so you can't plug them in backwards. (Don't ask
how I know this.)

Your only problem will be manoevering around among the mass of wires and
cables inside your computer. Just go slow and everything will go fine. The
connectors on the cables require some force to get into place (and remove)
so watch out for your nails.

Not the SATA connectors in my experience (unlike the older power
connectors!).
Old August 6th 05, 08:02 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Monica wrote:

Didn't think of looking in the User Guide for installing third party
hardware. Thanks. The Samsung Spinpoint hdd came from NewEgg and is an
OEM...meaning it come with no connections/cables, nada. Even I know the
connectors are keyed g Basically what I needed to know is which one of
the 4 slots on the mb does the blue cable go in. Maybe Dell's manual will
tell me. Thanks for your help

I went thru the same drill with my new Dim 8400 a few months ago. I
assumed it was important, but it isn't with SATA. If you have 2 HDD's,
pick 2 SATA connectors on the mobo. IIRC I'm using the first 2, but
that's just the way I am.

Old August 6th 05, 08:33 AM
Monica

thanks. I'll do the same Wonder why Dell doesn't ship with SATA DVD
drives? Well maybe they do but they didn't on my Dim 8400 3.2GB
Monica