Thinking of buying a Dell? Think again!

Old November 13th 03, 10:46 PM
Turner

I have had a few very bad personal experiences with Dell, and I have several
customers who have had bad experiences over the past two years. Therefore,
there is a factual basis for my opinion. Not some "counterpoint to often
worthless, statistically useless rants". Sorry to rain on your parade.
Furthermore, I have been reading this group for about one year. All of your
post which I've read are ALWAYS strong pro Dell. You obviously have some
decent knowledge and offer some help here, but try to be a bit more open
minded.
useless rants

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
No, you don't. You see a counterpoint to often worthless, statistically
useless rants. If you'd been here awhile, like I have, you would also have
heard me share disastrous experiences with Dell too.

Regardless of anything else, Dell is still top of the heap.

Tom
"Turner" wrote in message
Sorry if I offended you. I just see a lack of objectivity on his part

here.
"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Kelly" wrote in message
I know plenty of people that has had unpleasent experiences with

Dell.
What's with this Tom guy? He seems to have a perpetual hard-on for

Dell.

snip

Your grammar stinks. Your sexual reference isn't really helpful to the
discussion. Scales has been posting in this group for years helping

other
Dell users. You, on the other hand, I do not recognize.

plonk

Stew

Old November 14th 03, 03:23 AM
Tom Scales

I didn't say you.

Aw to hell with it.

I'm tired of being abused for being helpful.

As far as I am concerned you can all continue to whine to your hearts
content. I'm here to help.

Old November 14th 03, 05:07 PM
Psychomation

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:23:56 -0500, Tom Scales wrote:

As far as I am concerned you can all continue to whine to your hearts
content. I'm here to help.

As the originator of this thread, I mean this in the most positive way
towards your efforts, Tom and with no irony:

I'm *glad* you're here to help. With most forums I've been on where peer to
peer help is available, it's often superior to manufacturer support since
you've actually experienced the problem or at least the point of view of
the person who has it. Having knowledgable help available on a free forum
*should* lighten the load on customer support and allow them to have help
with a higher tech level and less calls about what is actually Windows
problems, pilot error or sometimes bad documentation. I realize that they
have people reading lame scenarii about reformating and reinstalling
windows because they likely get a lot of lame callers who are having
problems that have *nothing* to do with Dell hardware (for example.)

What I want Dell to do is to stop charging the account when they claim to
charge upon shipment (bad enough) and then make it so hard to get the
refund that is due (infuriating.)

Really, all they'd have to do is get someone to realize that had they told
me "no problem, we'll refund your card within 5 days" or even a little
longer I'd never need to post in forums at all. Having to chase Dell as if
they were welching on a bad loan is what sticks in my gullet and I'll make
it known to as many punters (future PC buyers) as I can.
Old November 14th 03, 06:17 PM
Irene

What I want Dell to do is to stop charging the account when they claim to
charge upon shipment (bad enough) and then make it so hard to get the
refund that is due (infuriating.)

My husband and I do thousands of dollars of activity on our credit card
every month. We have had only two company's exceed 10 business days on
credit card refunds. Many are handled within 72 hours and nearly all in 7 to
10 business days.

One of the two problem company's was Dell and the other was Microsoft(MSN).

Old November 14th 03, 10:48 PM
Mike

There is an easy fix. Write to I did to resolve an
issue relating to the purchase of a Dell Axim, after I went through numerous
(all spoke very clear and understandable English) support techs. All told
me the issue would be resolved to no avail. Wrote to Mr. Dell--issue
resolved with a new unit in a week.

That said, I've had a Dell Inspiron 4150 for a year now. Excellent machine,
no problems or issues requiring support. When I did call on a question, got
to a knowledgeable tech in about 5 minutes and the question was answered
quickly and professionally.

Will I purchase a Dell computer again---YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Osborn

Old November 15th 03, 12:19 AM
Irene

Will I purchase a Dell computer again---YES!!!!!!!!!!!

For myself-----------

Not until they either fix the problems with the Home and Home Office
support, or offer an option(like what is offered their business customers)
that provides for better support that is based in the U.S.

"Mike" wrote in message
There is an easy fix. Write to I did to resolve an
issue relating to the purchase of a Dell Axim, after I went through

numerous
(all spoke very clear and understandable English) support techs. All told
me the issue would be resolved to no avail. Wrote to Mr. Dell--issue
resolved with a new unit in a week.

That said, I've had a Dell Inspiron 4150 for a year now. Excellent

machine,
no problems or issues requiring support. When I did call on a question,

got
to a knowledgeable tech in about 5 minutes and the question was answered
quickly and professionally.

Will I purchase a Dell computer again---YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Osborn

"Psychomation" wrote in

message

Old November 15th 03, 06:28 AM
PC Gladiator

Well, thank you very much!
All home users please address all problems to for
competent tech support!!

There have to be SOME draw backs to having your name on the company. Then
again, he's making a LOT of money by sending support off shore so no
sympathy here.

Let's make Mikey's new slogan "I feel your pain.". ;-)

Old November 15th 03, 10:01 AM
S.Lewis

http://netscape.businessweek.com/mag...6001_mz001.htm

Old January 20th 04, 01:59 AM
Kevin

I had to return two defective 600M's. It was a pain to have to
install the operating system and apps three times!!! Two times for
the defective 600M's, and one time when the person I sold my 4100 to
graciously let me have it back. I love the 4100, but the new laptops
based on my experience leave a lot to be desired.

Kevin

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:24:22 -0600, "BWL"
wrote:

Man, you had it easy! If that's the worst that happened to you in dealing
with Dell, I'd say you were one of the lucky ones.

Unlike just a couple of years ago, horror stories regarding Dell's PC's,
return policies, and ESPECIALLY their worse-than-bottom-of-the-barrel tech
support have been rampant.

Dell apologists (customers who haven't been screwed yet, or Dell employees)
will post messages of praise, but what's happened to Dell recently is no
longer a secret. If more people did their homework, and actually talked to
recent Dell costomers, fewer people would make that expensive mistake. Dell
would (hopefully) eventually think about getting back to how it was in the
'90's.

But I understand the economics of it, and I doubt they will do that. All we
can do (after exhausting all options in dealing with Dell) is not do
business with them again.

...and warn future potential suckers of what awaits them.

"Psychomation" wrote in message
.. .
1) We bought one PC and all went fine.
2) Ordered a second one many months later and for technical reasons,
cancelled the order within 24 hours by both fax and email. We received a
confirmation of the cancellation from the service rep. This rep was not
available by phone and would not return my call to the number left on
2 voice messages and 2 emails.

3) The next month, the full amount of transaction was charged to our
account!

4) Maybe worst of all, any communication to cust service has resulted in
the address being put on a mailing list.

5) The request to remove from list has resulted in a second "subscription"
to the same mailing list.

6) The "unsubscribe page" of the list gives a "Service not available"
error.

Conclusion - I will never ever have anything to do with Dell again.

Just in case you are scanning this forum with the intention of
purchasing... think twice about it.