How to prefix comments in a Windows registry (*.reg) file?

Old January 9th 14, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default How to prefix comments in a Windows registry (*.reg) file?

On Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:56:26 AM UTC+8, John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

Thanks.

Why not leave the registry file alone, like normal people do Doe? Why comment it and risk mucking it up, like everything else you touch?

RL
Old January 9th 14, 01:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Mike Easter

Juan Wei wrote:
Mike Easter:
Mike Barnes wrote:

BTW in the UK, and elsewhere I suspect, "#" is a hash sign, not a pound
sign. "£" is a pound sign.

In the US, # may mean 'number' like #2 pencil or 'pound' (as in weight,
not currency), so most US people call the telephone button the pound
(sign) button.

But of course its real name is "octothorpe"!!

Octothorpe (or similars) is a catchy name, and I like the Bell System
story about the initial introduction of 2 non-numeric buttons
(originally a star and a diamond, but neither had an easy ascii char)
but I think octothorpe has a bit too many syllables to suit me.

Sometimes I prefer one syllable when it will do, such as the efficient
'crunch' for the pound/number/hash or 'bang' for the exclamation
mark/point (which has W A A A Y too many syllables at 4.

However, when I name things around me such as computers, I prefer two
syllable names instead of 1 or 3; I don't know /why/ that is.

--
Mike Easter
Old January 9th 14, 03:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Gene E. Bloch[_4_]

On 1/08/2014, Mike Easter posted:
Sometimes I prefer one syllable when it will do, such as the
efficient 'crunch' for the pound/number/hash or 'bang' for the
exclamation mark/point (which has W A A A Y too many syllables at 4.

One advantage of "bang" is I don't mispronounce it as "explanation
point", a habit that I haven't been able to break :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old January 9th 14, 03:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Language is for communications. I included the symbol
so there should have been no problem.

From: Mike Barnes mikebarnes333 gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 21:45:55 +0000

John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

I've always used a semicolon.

BTW in the UK, and elsewhere I suspect, "#" is a hash sign, not a pound
sign. "¶œ" is a pound sign.

--
Mike Barnes

Old January 9th 14, 11:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Joe Morris[_2_]

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote:
On 1/08/2014, Mike Easter posted:

Sometimes I prefer one syllable when it will do, such as the efficient
'crunch' for the pound/number/hash or 'bang' for the exclamation
mark/point (which has W A A A Y too many syllables at 4.

One advantage of "bang" is I don't mispronounce it as "explanation point",
a habit that I haven't been able to break :-)

Back in the 1960s I picked up the use of "bang" for "!" from one of the
computer systems that I either used or read about...but I have absolutely no
recollection of which one. It might have been an early time-sharing DEC
system...does anyone remember where they first heard of the word being used
in a computer context?

Slightly OT: and how many people remember the (unsuccessful) attempt of some
of the typewriter manufacturers to introduce a new glyph called the
"interrobang"?

Joe

Old January 9th 14, 01:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Mike Easter

Joe Morris wrote:

Slightly OT: and how many people remember the (unsuccessful) attempt of some
of the typewriter manufacturers to introduce a new glyph called the
"interrobang"?

I'm a big fan of the interrobang and the need for such a punctuation
mark, so, when appropriate I use an 'ascii-ization' of the mark.

There are certain nuances to the advantages of the ascii-ized
interrobang. Whereas there is only one interrobang^1 (no nuances), when
ascii-ized, one can choose:

?! !? ?!! !!? etc.

That way one can give more or less emphasis to the ! part and more or
less emphasis to the ? part.

^1 http://www.interrobang-mks.com/images/logo.gif

from: http://www.interrobang-mks.com/ As an advocate of precision in
communication, the concept of the INTERROBANG was introduced by Martin
K. Speckter in 1962 in an article written for TYPEtalks Magazine.

--
Mike Easter
Old January 9th 14, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 06:29:55 -0500, "Joe Morris"
wrote:

Slightly OT: and how many people remember the (unsuccessful) attempt of some
of the typewriter manufacturers to introduce a new glyph called the
"interrobang"?

It didn't know that typewriter manufacturers had anything to do with
it, but I remember the name, and still see it used now and then.

Old January 10th 14, 09:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bob H[_4_]

On 09/01/2014 01:09, RayLopez99 wrote:
On Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:56:26 AM UTC+8, John Doe wrote:
The pound sign "#" seems to work, is that correct?

Thanks.

Why not leave the registry file alone, like normal people do Doe? Why comment it and risk mucking it up, like everything else you touch?

RL

If the op did not ask the question, as in leaving the registry file
alone, we would not have had the interesting replies
Old January 11th 14, 03:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Jason[_13_]

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 06:29:55 -0500 "Joe Morris"
wrote in article

Back in the 1960s I picked up the use of "bang" for "!" from one of the
computer systems that I either used or read about...but I have absolutely no
recollection of which one. It might have been an early time-sharing DEC
system...does anyone remember where they first heard of the word being used
in a computer context?

Slightly OT: and how many people remember the (unsuccessful) attempt of some
of the typewriter manufacturers to introduce a new glyph called the
"interrobang"?

Joe

From the haziest of memories of the late 1960's, I recall the APL crowd
referring to ! as "bang" - it has a couple meanings in APL depending on
whether it's monadic or dyadic.

Old January 11th 14, 07:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
David E. Ross

On 1/10/2014 7:56 PM, Jason wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 06:29:55 -0500 "Joe Morris"
wrote in article

Back in the 1960s I picked up the use of "bang" for "!" from one of the
computer systems that I either used or read about...but I have absolutely no
recollection of which one. It might have been an early time-sharing DEC
system...does anyone remember where they first heard of the word being used
in a computer context?

Slightly OT: and how many people remember the (unsuccessful) attempt of some
of the typewriter manufacturers to introduce a new glyph called the
"interrobang"?

Joe

From the haziest of memories of the late 1960's, I recall the APL crowd
referring to ! as "bang" - it has a couple meanings in APL depending on
whether it's monadic or dyadic.

In a symbolic logic class at UCLA in the early 1960s, ! was "shriek".

--
David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

Where does your elected official stand? Which
politicians refuse to tell us where they stand?
See the non-partisan Project Vote Smart at
http://votesmart.org/.