homemade NAS

Old June 4th 04, 02:30 PM
Unkel_Slam

Default homemade NAS

Is there anyway that I can turn an older (ATHLON 1.4, 512 MB, 80 GB
HD) into something like a Snap! server , network attached storage
(NAS) ???? I have just outgrown the Snap! server, which worked
perfectly. I just need it to share out files on the LAN and be able to
set users and permissions from a web interface, similar to SNAP! Also
be able to configure it over http interface and set all the settings
from there.

I am trying to get away from having to use Windows XP. I have been
using XP to do this on our LAN, using remote desktop, and/or VNC to
configure, but it is so clunky, as Windows tends to be. The other
workstations are all XP pro machines BTW. Just wanted something as
reliable as the SNAP! server was.....

Does anyone know of some server software that would do this, the
cheaper.. IE free the better. I like the idea of smoothwall firewall,
except to server out files. THANKS!!!
Old June 4th 04, 02:49 PM
Rob Turk

"Unkel_Slam" wrote in message
om...
Is there anyway that I can turn an older (ATHLON 1.4, 512 MB, 80 GB
HD) into something like a Snap! server , network attached storage
(NAS) ???? I have just outgrown the Snap! server, which worked
perfectly. I just need it to share out files on the LAN and be able to
set users and permissions from a web interface, similar to SNAP! Also
be able to configure it over http interface and set all the settings
from there.

Have you looked at OpenFiler yet?
http://www.openfiler.org/

Rob

Old June 4th 04, 07:43 PM
Faeandar

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:49:40 +0200, "Rob Turk"
wrote:

"Unkel_Slam" wrote in message
. com...
Is there anyway that I can turn an older (ATHLON 1.4, 512 MB, 80 GB
HD) into something like a Snap! server , network attached storage
(NAS) ???? I have just outgrown the Snap! server, which worked
perfectly. I just need it to share out files on the LAN and be able to
set users and permissions from a web interface, similar to SNAP! Also
be able to configure it over http interface and set all the settings
from there.

Have you looked at OpenFiler yet?
http://www.openfiler.org/

Rob

This looks very interesting. Alot of functionality for a home or
small business setup.

Thanks for the post.

~F