All-in-one inkjet printer recommendations

Old January 23rd 16, 06:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Martin ©¿©¬[_2_]

Default All-in-one inkjet printer recommendations

Hello,
I am on the lookout for an all-in-one inkjet printer that will also
print on dvd/cds
I had been looking at the Canon PIXMA MX925, however while this
printer ticks all boxes the reviews suggest that it constantly goes
into cleaning cycle using/wasting ink.
Does anyone own this printer & can tell me what they think of it. or
can suggest an alternative printer to meet my needs
Thank you
--
Martin
©¿©¬
Old January 23rd 16, 08:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
Hello,
I am on the lookout for an all-in-one inkjet printer that will also
print on dvd/cds
I had been looking at the Canon PIXMA MX925, however while this
printer ticks all boxes the reviews suggest that it constantly goes
into cleaning cycle using/wasting ink.

Every inkjet printer (all makes) does that, the only question is whether this
printer is any worse than the rest; while I don't know the answer to that I
would be surprised if it is any different to any other Canon inkjet.
Tony

Old January 24th 16, 12:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

? wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 13:59:21 -0600, Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net
dot nz wrote:

Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
Hello,
I am on the lookout for an all-in-one inkjet printer that will also
print on dvd/cds
I had been looking at the Canon PIXMA MX925, however while this
printer ticks all boxes the reviews suggest that it constantly goes
into cleaning cycle using/wasting ink.

Every inkjet printer (all makes) does that, the only question is whether this
printer is any worse than the rest; while I don't know the answer to that I
would be surprised if it is any different to any other Canon inkjet.
Tony
Does anyone own this printer & can tell me what they think of it. or
can suggest an alternative printer to meet my needs
Thank you
--
Martin
©¿©¬

Epson is the only true Inkjet printer the others are Bubble jet ones and
the print heads burn out.

Plus Epson does the long life ink tanks.

Thanks Roger but that is not correct.
Epson uses piezo electric heads and the original bubble jet was Canon, the
original inkjet was Siemens (I think) but the name was adopted by HP. Epson
heads clog more than any other manufacturer because of the very high tech heads
they use to produce high quality. The fact is that piezo heads last a long time
but clog easily and are extremely difficult to fix - they need to be used
regularly.
I have never seen a Canon head burn out and I have never seen a Canon printer
where a clogged head could not be unclogged. Most manufacturers use heat to
deliver ink and they can burn out but nothing like as common as peple think,
the usual problem is clogging which requires ink to be forced through the head
to clear it. Several manufacturers have large capacity tanks and tfor those
that don't external tanks are usually available.
Epson quality is high, the downside is the reliability of the piezo technology.
In maybe 2500 (at least) printers I have worked on I have seen maybe 5 that had
burned out heads - very rare indeed - clogging is the issue.

Tony

Old January 25th 16, 04:23 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_4_]

? writes:

dot nz wrote:

Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
Hello,
I am on the lookout for an all-in-one inkjet printer that will also
print on dvd/cds
I had been looking at the Canon PIXMA MX925, however while this
printer ticks all boxes the reviews suggest that it constantly goes
into cleaning cycle using/wasting ink.
Every inkjet printer (all makes) does that, the only question is whether this
printer is any worse than the rest; while I don't know the answer to that I
would be surprised if it is any different to any other Canon inkjet.
Tony

/../
[...]

Thanks for the history compilation, interesting indeed.

One Big advantage is that the Epson does not have to use Water Based
Inks.

One issue I had with Epson is the almost comical efforts at recognizing
cartridges (some Epson, some 3rd-party). I spent half the printing time
switching chips between sets of carts to keep the damed things
recognized, it was no fun at all.
And in addition, clogging was a problem a lot of the time, many many
cleaning cycles. Quality however was excellent when things worked.

With Canon on the other hand, while much simpler to refill and use for
home use (i.e., irregularly), head burnout (nozzles for one or more
colours) is a perennial fear: I am used to cleaning nozzles sometimes
for days at a time to clear old ink, but it happens that still then,
though printing works mechanically, no ink is delivered. In the case
where the printhead is electrically damaged, the printer would give a
printhead error and no longer print (nor scan or do anything else in
that case, damned all-in-one fraud).
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7
Old January 26th 16, 06:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ed Pawlowski

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 11:56:50 +1300, ? wrote:

I will never ever buy a Multifuntion printer, as if some thing goes
wrong you loose the lot.

Made sense at $750. Makes no sense now that they are less than $100.
Old January 26th 16, 06:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ed Pawlowski

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 17:17:24 +0000, Martin ©¿©¬
wrote:

Hello,
I am on the lookout for an all-in-one inkjet printer that will also
print on dvd/cds
I had been looking at the Canon PIXMA MX925, however while this
printer ticks all boxes the reviews suggest that it constantly goes
into cleaning cycle using/wasting ink.
Does anyone own this printer & can tell me what they think of it. or
can suggest an alternative printer to meet my needs
Thank you

I don't know that you'd go terribly wrong with any of them, but I tend
to stick with HP. Not knowing all the use you have I can't say what
is really "best". Depends a lot on the volume you use of each segment.
Fax one a week or 6 times and hour? Make a copy a day or 500 a day?
Old January 27th 16, 02:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

dot nz wrote:

Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
[...]

There are other printer manufacturers that make pigment ink printers.
Tony

Old January 27th 16, 02:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

dot nz wrote:

Martin ©¿©¬ wrote:
[...]

Absolutely frustrating, I have known people refuse to replace an Epson with
another Epson because of this despite having to make do with slightly lower
quality.
And in addition, clogging was a problem a lot of the time, many many
cleaning cycles. Quality however was excellent when things worked.

With Canon on the other hand, while much simpler to refill and use for
home use (i.e., irregularly), head burnout (nozzles for one or more
colours) is a perennial fear: I am used to cleaning nozzles sometimes
for days at a time to clear old ink, but it happens that still then,
though printing works mechanically, no ink is delivered. In the case
where the printhead is electrically damaged, the printer would give a
printhead error and no longer print (nor scan or do anything else in
that case, damned all-in-one fraud).

I have an IP4000 that I purchased within one month of release - I am guessing
that would be about 2006 or 2007. The only problem I have had is a failed power
supply which I replaced with one I built. I use it no more than 5 times a year
because I have a dye sub photo printer and two laser printers as well. The
ip4000 has never had a head clog that one single cleaning cycle didn't fix -
and I have used some compatible inks from time to time. Lucky? I guess I am.

Old January 28th 16, 02:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_4_]

Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz writes:

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
[...]

That is a solid machine, I have a iP4500 that handles similarly to your
iP4000. Very happy camper.

My MP450 is bit less friendly, with the black and combined color (CMY)
cartridge (these carts include the printhead) refilling OK but some
carts worn out and no longer seeming to deliver ink from all colors (in
which case I ditch the old carts).

However, plenty of other machines I buy second-hand for testing and
driver development under linux, have issues of probably burnt-out
nozzles for some or all colors, especially older ones. I have a MP10
(SmartBase MPC200 overseas) with this issue in both color and black
carts, although mechanically the printing works (paper feeds, printhead
moves, carts shown as full in monitor, etc).

Lucky you made a good choice with iP4000! There have been some designs
that shorted out the logic board and/or printhead occasionally,
MP800/MP810 and similar models I think.
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7