Problem with New Dell Laptop

Old March 2nd 14, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Juan Wei

Default Problem with New Dell Laptop

My stepson's new Dell 15 Inspiron does not respond to F2 and F12 during
booting -- those keys are not even displayed on the Dell splash screen,
and will not boot from the optical drive or a USB device.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to correct this?

(I know that F2 and F12 are the correct keys to use during booting
because -- for a short while -- they *were* displayed on the Dell splash
screen!)

Thanks.
Old March 3rd 14, 12:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_2_]

On 03/02/2014 05:54 PM, Juan Wei wrote:
My stepson's new Dell 15 Inspiron does not respond to F2 and F12 during
booting -- those keys are not even displayed on the Dell splash screen,
and will not boot from the optical drive or a USB device.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to correct this?

(I know that F2 and F12 are the correct keys to use during booting
because -- for a short while -- they *were* displayed on the Dell splash
screen!)

Thanks.

Laptops often have a function key you need to press to get the "F" keys
Old March 3rd 14, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Juan Wei

philo has written on 3/2/2014 7:36 PM:
On 03/02/2014 05:54 PM, Juan Wei wrote:
My stepson's new Dell 15 Inspiron does not respond to F2 and F12 during
booting -- those keys are not even displayed on the Dell splash screen,
and will not boot from the optical drive or a USB device.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to correct this?

(I know that F2 and F12 are the correct keys to use during booting
because -- for a short while -- they *were* displayed on the Dell splash
screen!)

Thanks.

Laptops often have a function key you need to press to get the "F" keys

The function keys themselves are color-coded with their secondary
function keyed to the colored Fn button. IOW, if I press F2, I get F2,
If I press Fn-F2, I toggle the WiFi.

Old March 3rd 14, 07:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Carpe_Diem[_2_]

The function keys themselves are color-coded with their secondary
function keyed to the colored Fn button. IOW, if I press F2, I get F2,
If I press Fn-F2, I toggle the WiFi.

Also during start-up (before Windows starts)?

--

mvg,
Luc Plukdedag
Old March 3rd 14, 06:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Juan Wei

Default Problem with New Dell Laptop (SOLVED)

Juan Wei has written on 3/2/2014 6:54 PM:
My stepson's new Dell 15 Inspiron does not respond to F2 and F12 during
booting -- those keys are not even displayed on the Dell splash screen,
and will not boot from the optical drive or a USB device.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to correct this?

(I know that F2 and F12 are the correct keys to use during booting
because -- for a short while -- they *were* displayed on the Dell splash
screen!)

To get the F2/F12 legend to appear on the splash screen, start tapping
F12 as soon as you take your finger off the power button!

Then it will (F12) boot in to the Boot Menu screen and you can get into
the BIOS (setup) from there.