Can't print photos from Windows 8 (64-bit)

Old September 19th 13, 08:22 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
...winston

Default Can't print photos from Windows 8 (64-bit)

Gene E. Bloch wrote:
On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 18:17:43 -0400, ...winston wrote:

In your original post...you noted it was connected via ethernet
- connected via router, hub, etc ?

The HP2610 A-I-O is also capable of usb connections.
- Does it perform satisfactorily when connected via USB ?

That's good thinking... Definitely worth a try.

Wish I'd thought of that :-)

I've seen similar difficulties reported in the past on both ethernet and
network connected printers. Sometimes Windows throws up a connection
error and other times a spool error while the printer device continues
to show a document waiting to be printed.

The op doesn't appear to be receiving any error messages.

In the cases I noted the connection is lost (ethernet or shared network
device). Other causes seem to be correlated to a faulty driver install
on a networked pc but not certain if that applies in this case.

--
...winston
msft mvp consumer apps
Old September 19th 13, 08:42 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 ...winston wrote:

There are no error messages. The info window says that it is sending the
file to the printer and, if I click on the printer icon which tells me
about spooled jobs, it tells me that there is 1 print job waiting. But
without printing, it just goes to 0 print jobs and there is no sign of
what happened to the file.

In your original post...you noted it was connected via ethernet
- connected via router, hub, etc ?

The HP2610 A-I-O is also capable of usb connections.
- Does it perform satisfactorily when connected via USB ?

Haven't tried that. The printer is a little too far away from the
computer to be able to do it easily. If you could see my study you'd
understand why!

David

Old September 19th 13, 09:31 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 me wrote:

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 22:34:32 +0100, David Rance
wrote:

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions which have been most useful in
helping me to cross-check everything.

However I have done experiments with Windows 8 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
on different computers and this is what I have found:

(a) Photos will print from computers using 32-bit with no apparent
problems

(b) Photos will *not* print from computers using 64-bit. However I must
qualify that. On just *one* occasion, I did manage to get a photo to
print from a 64-bit computer. I used the Windows Photo app. and then the
print dialogue in the charms bar. But, when I tried to repeat it, it
wouldn't work.

Did I install the 64-bit version of the HP driver? Yes! Or, at least, I
installed what I downloaded from HP when I requested the driver for
64-bit.

Nevertheless printing small files is still no problem.

So I am inclined to believe that there is a flaw in the HP driver for
64-bit. Could it be a memory allocation problem?

Incidentally I didn't mention what printer I was using. It is a
Photosmart 2610. All the other functions, including scanning, seem to
work ok. Yesterday I tried once to print from a 64-bit computer to a
Photosmart 8750. It printed but the colour rendering was all wrong.
Haven't had time to worry further about that one!

Almost sounds like a problem with printer spool space. I have zero
knowledge of the workings of Win8. One possible way to see is spool
space is an issue in older Wins is to not let Win manage virtual
memory and set a specific amount so that you know there is adequate
disk space for the spooler.

That could be a possible solution. The photos I was sending were in the
realm of megabytes.

I've just made quite a number of experiments with different settings,
starting off with the simplest and then progressing to the more
detailed. In the end I discovered what it doesn't like. Borderless
printing!

I like to print out my photos on 4x6 inch photo paper with no border.
The 64-bit computer won't do it, though the 32-bit will. But the 64-bit
computer will do everything else I throw at it - as long as I don't tell
it to print borderless! That was the mistake (if you can call it a
mistake) I was making all along. And I suppose that the one time
yesterday that I got it to work, I must have specified *not* borderless!

Well, thanks for all your suggestions, folks. They were all quite
logical. But in the end the solution was simply *not* logical. Why
should a 64-bit barf at being told to print borderless? It just doesn't
make sense.

One of my daughters has given me her old Windows 7 (64-bit) computer.
When I have time I'll see if I get the same problem with that.

David

Old September 19th 13, 02:19 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
Paul

wrote:

[...]

If it was me, I'd be looking in two areas.

1) Event Viewer, for evidence of something I could report
to the printer manufacturer. If printer info is not being
logged, find a way to "turn logs on".
2) Try bordered prints, with a very tiny border (close to zero).
Or, try borderless print, then tick the "Print To File" button,
then find a viewer that understands the printer standard
(PostScript, PCL5, PCL6, HPGL/2 etc). For PostScript,
you could use GhostScript as a validator of sorts. I used
to have something to view HPGL/2. I don't know if there is
anything for PCL. In this case, you'd be checking that
the generated files are valid.

There was some code I used to use on a PostScript printer, to
actually get it to dump the error message (when a PostScript
interpretation error occurs), right onto the printer page. Which
was a great help for diagnosing problems with the actual
print file contents. For example, if a PostScript print job
had a "memory leak" in the code inside the print file,
say not enough "pops" to balance stack "pushes", I might
get a hint from that message on the printed page. We used
to have 100 page PostScript documents, that would stop printing
around page 16, and it turned out to be a correctable memory
leak (a bug in the print driver). I could take a "Print To File"
output file, use Notepad, do a bulk "Find and Replace", and
fix up the code so that the entire file would print first try.
That avoided a user having to print the file in seven sections.

HTH,
Paul
Old September 19th 13, 02:27 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
Paul

David Rance wrote:
On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 ...winston wrote:

There are no error messages. The info window says that it is sending the
file to the printer and, if I click on the printer icon which tells me
about spooled jobs, it tells me that there is 1 print job waiting. But
without printing, it just goes to 0 print jobs and there is no sign of
what happened to the file.

In your original post...you noted it was connected via ethernet
- connected via router, hub, etc ?

The HP2610 A-I-O is also capable of usb connections.
- Does it perform satisfactorily when connected via USB ?

Haven't tried that. The printer is a little too far away from the
computer to be able to do it easily. If you could see my study you'd
understand why!

David

If you used four USB repeater cables in a row, would that work for you ?

I purchased one of these, and could run a webcam on the end of it.
When shopping for these, you need to find customer reviews where
they have concatenated the cable successfully, before buying
four of them for the above experiment. There have been active repeater
cables, where the cables fail to work properly when you chain a few
together. Other brands, seem to work fine.

http://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-2...e~USB2FAAEXT15

They make longer ones, sometimes much longer. The 16 foot ones
would be following the USB standard exactly. We don't know the
underlying tech in the others (multiple buffer chips ? non-USB
transmission down the cable ?)

USB has a limit on the number of active hubs in a row, which
defines how many of those cables you can put in a chain. You're
not allowed to use an infinite number of those things in a row.
One of the timeout constants, sets a limit on the digital delay
in the path.

Paul
Old September 20th 13, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
Gene E. Bloch[_3_]

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:31:38 +0100, David Rance wrote:

Well, thanks for all your suggestions, folks. They were all quite
logical. But in the end the solution was simply *not* logical. Why
should a 64-bit barf at being told to print borderless? It just doesn't
make sense.

Somehow I completely agree :-)

I'm guessing that it's a bug in the driver, and furthermore I'm
pessimistic enough to believe that HP won't fix it.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)
Old September 20th 13, 05:45 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 Gene E. Bloch wrote:

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:31:38 +0100, David Rance wrote:

Well, thanks for all your suggestions, folks. They were all quite
logical. But in the end the solution was simply *not* logical. Why
should a 64-bit barf at being told to print borderless? It just doesn't
make sense.

Somehow I completely agree :-)

I'm guessing that it's a bug in the driver, and furthermore I'm
pessimistic enough to believe that HP won't fix it.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

I don't think you're wrong, judging by my past experience with them. I
had to ditch perfectly good but older HP printers when upgrading to Win
XP some years ago simply because they didn't provide updated
fully-featured drivers for them. What annoyed me more than anything was
that they said the updated drivers were fully featured but were only
basic. I wasted many phone calls with them where they pointed me to what
they said really were fully featured drivers. I won't say they told me
lies because I do think that the people I spoke to really believed what
they were saying, in ignorance of course.

At least the updated driver for Win 8 really is fully featured even
though the 2610 is fairly old, even though the 64-bit driver seems to
have this bug. Can't say the same for the 8750 - that's just a basic
updated driver, but doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Why do I stick with HP printers? Well, I like that fact that the
printing head *is* the cartridge so the whole thing is replaced when the
ink runs out. And they're not bad printers.

David

Old September 20th 13, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
charlie

On 9/19/2013 3:42 AM, David Rance wrote:
On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 ...winston wrote:

There are no error messages. The info window says that it is sending the
file to the printer and, if I click on the printer icon which tells me
about spooled jobs, it tells me that there is 1 print job waiting. But
without printing, it just goes to 0 print jobs and there is no sign of
what happened to the file.

In your original post...you noted it was connected via ethernet
- connected via router, hub, etc ?

The HP2610 A-I-O is also capable of usb connections.
- Does it perform satisfactorily when connected via USB ?

Haven't tried that. The printer is a little too far away from the
computer to be able to do it easily. If you could see my study you'd
understand why!

David

A couple of thoughts - - -
If the printer is connected directly to the computer, does the large
file printing problem go away?
Have you tried "printing directly" (Disables spooler use)
With earlier windows versions, both of the above have at least shed some
light on the problem.

With an ethernet, usb, or WiFi connection, there is a timeout
possibility. Another possibly related issue was that the printer's
status monitor could cause problems with networked printers. If so it
usually can be turned off or disabled.
At least it's not a Lexmark printer G

There were some instances I ran across that actually "double spooled"
the print job. One was the usual spooler, and the other was a network
related spooler/buffer.
Old September 25th 13, 07:57 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_4_]

David Rance writes:

[...]

To second Paul's suggestion of trying a thin border, I would also try
borderless, but adjust (slider bar) the "overprinting" until it is
minimum (which should be 0, i.e., exactly the physical dimensions of the
media).
See if it works: maybe there is broken logic around the comparison of
media size and printing area size.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Old September 25th 13, 10:33 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-8,comp.periphs.printers
David Rance[_3_]

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 charlie wrote:

[...]

I discovered subsequently that it isn't the size of the file but that
any borderless choices do not print.

Have you tried "printing directly" (Disables spooler use)

With earlier windows versions, both of the above have at least shed
some light on the problem.

That doesn't work either.

David